PDA

View Full Version : Would you drive safer if your car gave you gruesome warnings?

aGameOfThrones
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Engineers at the Fukuoka Institute of Technology in Japan are trying to come up with a new way to encourage people to drive safer by using scare tactics. Rather than a flashing red light or beeping tone to warn drivers of potential crashes, this system would be more proactive by warning drivers if they are driving too fast for conditions or following too close to the car in front of them. It would also give feedback warnings such as "You would die right now if you were in a crash" – an example given by New Scientist.

The safety system uses radar, sonar and lasers to monitor how the car is being driven, and if risky driving habits are detected, it would respond with a more evocative and emotional warning to scare the driver into safer habits. Would such visual or audible warnings change how you drive? Let us know in the poll below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/09/would-you-drive-safer-if-your-car-gave-you-gruesome-warnings-w/

heavenlyboy34
01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Throw the computer cars into the ocean! :P

Pericles
01-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I've got so much useless electronic crap on my car now, that I can barely stand it. That would put me over the edge.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
I don't know a lot about cars, but when I had a car that told me my seat belt wasn't on, I found the fuse and detached it. It detached some other stuff too, but nothing I couldn't live without.

phill4paul
01-11-2013, 12:27 AM
No. It would not say ""You would die right now if you were in a crash" "

It would say "You die gaijin, nowr, You crash soooo mush."

phill4paul
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't know a lot about cars, but when I had a car that told me my seat belt wasn't on, I found the fuse and detached it. It detached some other stuff too, but nothing I couldn't live without.

Same. But I probably ended up paying a tax on the vehicle so that the government could award a grant to the auto company to tell me this.

PursuePeace
01-11-2013, 12:34 AM
It would also give feedback warnings such as "You are probably going to crash soon, because I keep distracting you with all of these idiotic freak-out warnings." – an example given by New Scientist.

I vote NO.

paulbot24
01-11-2013, 03:35 AM
I would quickly go to a torrent site and find a hacked ROM of my make and model. Stripped to the core. Fifth Element, Demolition Man, what is that saying about life imitating art?

acptulsa
01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Well, now we know the divorce rate is much too high. Leave it to Japan to solve the problem by inventing the electronic mother-in-law.

Voluntary Man
01-11-2013, 09:01 AM
My MIND gives me gruesome warnings, while I'm driving. I cut out the middle man.

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 09:03 AM
On a related note. Both Ford and GM have both just opened up an API for app developers for their cars.

So if you guys have any good app ideas you want to share, post em up and maybe some rpf developer will turn it into a real app.

https://developer.ford.com/
https://developer.gm.com/

kcchiefs6465
01-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I would be removing fuses should my car ever start talking to me. The 'ding' you get from not wearing your seatbelt is enough to make me want to scrap it. My car starts telling me I'm going to die if I crash and it very well could turn into patio furniture.

kcchiefs6465
01-11-2013, 09:09 AM
On a related note. Both Ford and GM have both just opened up an API for app developers for their cars.

So if you guys have any good app ideas you want to share, post em up and maybe some rpf developer will turn it into a real app.

https://developer.ford.com/
https://developer.gm.com/
I have no idea how to develop apps, but I would like to see scanner apps, radar detector apps and 'turn off that annoying little ding when you aren't wearing your seatbelt' apps.

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 09:13 AM
//

kcchiefs6465
01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I dunno, nowadays I've come to mock the dinging. I talk back at it, I mock it in singsong, its my friendly adversary and annoying good influence friend.

My wife suggested a proximity instant messenger for chat between vehicles in close proximity.
I don't know how I feel about that. People have a hard enough time trying to text and play 'Angry Birds' while driving I don't think they need another distraction. How about an app that alerts you to detours, checkpoints, and speed traps? (It would have to be an interactive app, so people could report them in real time)

NCGOPer_for_Paul
01-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Is this designed for people that are too dumb to take responsibility for their own actions?

Could just see it now, some mental midget plows into the back of stopped traffic on the highway, triggering a 30 car pile up. Idiots defense - "my car's warning system broke". The idiot will sue the car manufacturer, manuafacturer will have to pay billions in fines, and add 69 new enhancement to their vehichles, causing the price to rise another $10,000.

specsaregood
01-11-2013, 09:27 AM
That idea has some great promise. You'd have to make the reports anonymous or have a disconnect between the actual account/person and the reports.

kcchiefs6465
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Is this designed for people that are too dumb to take responsibility for their own actions?

Could just see it now, some mental midget plows into the back of stopped traffic on the highway, triggering a 30 car pile up. Idiots defense - "my car's warning system broke". The idiot will sue the car manufacturer, manuafacturer will have to pay billions in fines, and add 69 new enhancement to their vehichles, causing the price to rise another $10,000.
That is a scenario I had not thought of. All in all though, as to the OP, America is becoming way too damn 'child proofed.' Black lungs on cigarette packs, 'Hot Coffee' warnings at McD's. It's amazing so many of you survived the era when everything was not idiot friendly. God forbid you rode your bike without a helmet.

acptulsa
01-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Maybe car navscreens should show all those old, gruesome Death on the Highway driver's ed films (that they don't use any more because they were found to be disgusting but ineffective). That way, we can all kill ourselves by puking when we should be driving.

There's some Japanese logic for you.

What a wonderful world we get when we put the lawyers in charge! No wonder hospitals wake patients who need their rest every two hours to test them and see if they had a tiny, undetectable 'heart attack', and kick sick people out after two days to limit the hospital's liability.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
My car talks too much shit as it is.

KingRobbStark
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
People will get used to it. It has a short time effect.

FrancisMarion
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Regarding Seatbelt Ding: Go to salvage yard, cut buckle from same model, insert.

And to answer the question. No, it would it not.