PDA

View Full Version : GOP: I was elected chairman of my town GOP tonight!

Rocco
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Liberty took a big step forward in Tompkins County today! As of 6:30 this evening, I am officially the chairman of the Town of Ulysses GOP. Folks, this is a committee just like any other, and there are MANY establishment types who sit on the committee. I got involved 10 months ago in the build up to the April 24th NY Primary, and not even a year later I am the chairman of one of our 6 town GOP's. I am only 20 years old, I haven't been involved for very long, yet I was able to get elected as town chair with my Ron Paul support fully well known by everybody there.

My point in saying this to you is that those who shy away from getting involved in the official GOP structure because they think they will be roundly rejected or are not welcome need to re-evaluate your perception and get involved where the real fight is. I am as libertarian as anybody here, this was well known by everybody on the committee (I name drop Ron Paul probably once a meeting), and you know what? It didn't matter, they see that I'm willing to put the leg work in and were happy to have me.

If there is ONE thing you can do for the liberty movement, it's get involved in your county GOP and start winning some of these seats. As a town chairman I now can officially endorse ANY candidate for ANY local office, and have that endorsement carry weight. This is far more power then the average voter has, and it is CRUCIAL that we assert our liberty principles by taking these seats over. I look forward to keeping you all updated on the benefits that come of this victory!

Cleaner44
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Well done!

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/ron_paul_revolution.jpg

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Congratulations!

Cowlesy
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
This really, is what the forum is about. This is the best post of the year, in my opinion.

+REP! and congrats!

fr33
01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Good job!

Matt Collins
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Congrats.

You'll want to change your name and not post on here and not talk about it. Someone WILL find your posts here when doing opposition research on you, either Democrats, or the GOP Establishment. I assure you it'll be used against you. Also lock down your FB profile and be sure to scrub it from past things you may have said.

That being said, your job is to build, grow, and manage the Party. You don't have to violate your principles to do that, but if you mention liberty or Ron Paul every other word, they will find a way to kick you out. So there has to be balance.

Brian4Liberty
01-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Good work! Keep it up!

eleganz
01-11-2013, 05:58 AM
This is so awesome man! Did anybody else get elected? How populated is the town that you rep?

How Ironic that a Ron Paul supporter becomes GOP Chair in Ithaca, the only place in NY where Ron Paul had a rally during the primaries?

I think he had one in the city but that was in 2011 I think.

You may want to contact Ben Swann and let him know how things went during your local gop elections, he might be interested in reporting it in his full disclosure videos.

Rocco
01-11-2013, 08:52 AM
How do I change my name on here? And, if I do change it, would it be safe to continue to post under that name? I am not a very "controversial" member of this movement, if that is the right word for it, you're not gonna find 9/11 truther posts or anything like that on here. That being said, I definitely don't want to do anything that might jeopardize our role in the party, so any and all advice is appreciated!

In terms of building the party, I am already on it. This is a small town of about 5,000 outside of Ithaca, and we had roughly 100 people vote in the GOP primary on April 24th (keep in mind, this is once Romney had it won). I'm going to call each one, introduce myself to them, and see if I can help them get involved. Your concerns about mentioning Ron Paul every other word are noted and appreciated. I don't think I go too far in it, most of the time when I am mentioning him it's "When I was volunteering for Ron Paul 2012 *blank* was something we did that was effective", but I will certainly try not to get too overzealous. Really it's just that most of my political activity (outside of what I have done for the county GOP) has been for Ron Paul and that's where most of my campaigning ideas come from.

Congrats.

You'll want to change your name and not post on here and not talk about it. Someone WILL find your posts here when doing opposition research on you, either Democrats, or the GOP Establishment. I assure you it'll be used against you. Also lock down your FB profile and be sure to scrub it from past things you may have said.

That being said, your job is to build, grow, and manage the Party. You don't have to violate your principles to do that, but if you mention liberty or Ron Paul every other word, they will find a way to kick you out. So there has to be balance.

Matt Collins
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Awesome, keep up the good work. Now we need about 5000 other Ron Paul supporters to do the same thing that you did.

Oh, one other thing, you need to fundraise for the Party and try and buil the warchest. Some of the establishment may pull their funding because they aren't in charge. If they see you as being unable to fundraise, you're tenure will also come to an end fairly quickly.

Rocco
01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Our town is small, about 5,000. Everybody else already on the GOP Exec retained their spots, with the exception of another town who switched from one long time party member to another. As much as I would love to meet Ben Swann and have an interview, I honestly don't think anything extraordinary happened here. There's a lot of people from big cities here where it may be harder, I get that, but to become involved in a GOP in a small town is really quite easy! I think that my results would be considered a lot more common if more people became involved.

This is so awesome man! Did anybody else get elected? How populated is the town that you rep?

How Ironic that a Ron Paul supporter becomes GOP Chair in Ithaca, the only place in NY where Ron Paul had a rally during the primaries?

I think he had one in the city but that was in 2011 I think.

You may want to contact Ben Swann and let him know how things went during your local gop elections, he might be interested in reporting it in his full disclosure videos.

erowe1
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
+rep

mello
01-11-2013, 10:25 AM
The first thing you should do is to make some changes for the better. All vote counts done in the open, recording equipment allowed, etc.

kathy88
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I am not a very "controversial" member of this movement, if that is the right word for it, you're not gonna find 9/11 truther posts or anything like that on here.

No, but you hand out neg rep like candy. You should fit right in with the old guard. You're a great GOP cheerleader.

man is truth
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Have fun man- I am a chairman too, and thought, "Yay- I can bring liberty people into the Party."

Nah.

the regular media and the goosestepping assholes that comprise the american population guarantee that when you get a bunch of people willing to turn up for anything with the word "Republican" in it, you get war-monger fascists, christian theocracy muslim hating homophobes, and jerkoffs who think that opposing Obama = resisting tyranny.

haha but I don't want to spoil the surprise man, have fun.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
How do I change my name on here? And, if I do change it, would it be safe to continue to post under that name? I am not a very "controversial" member of this movement, if that is the right word for it, you're not gonna find 9/11 truther posts or anything like that on here. That being said, I definitely don't want to do anything that might jeopardize our role in the party, so any and all advice is appreciated!

In terms of building the party, I am already on it. This is a small town of about 5,000 outside of Ithaca, and we had roughly 100 people vote in the GOP primary on April 24th (keep in mind, this is once Romney had it won). I'm going to call each one, introduce myself to them, and see if I can help them get involved. Your concerns about mentioning Ron Paul every other word are noted and appreciated. I don't think I go too far in it, most of the time when I am mentioning him it's "When I was volunteering for Ron Paul 2012 *blank* was something we did that was effective", but I will certainly try not to get too overzealous. Really it's just that most of my political activity (outside of what I have done for the county GOP) has been for Ron Paul and that's where most of my campaigning ideas come from.

what you do with your name is up to you. 'for good reason' you can change it for free (it is usually a perk of a $20 annual subscription) but you would have to speak to an admin, which means Josh or Bryan. You could pm and ask if this qualifies.

I don't know if you need to change your name. I could delete this thread, if you want, but it would be in the wayback machine if people went that far.

Uriah
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Congrats!

KingNothing
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
No, but you hand out neg rep like candy. You should fit right in with the old guard. You're a great GOP cheerleader.

neg-rep for being a kathy-downer in an overwhelming positive and productive thread!

This guy won! Give him some props! Good job, friend!

Rocco
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Must you follow me into every thread and attack me? Good lord.

KingNothing
01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Have fun man- I am a chairman too, and thought, "Yay- I can bring liberty people into the Party."

Nah.

the regular media and the goosestepping assholes that comprise the american population guarantee that when you get a bunch of people willing to turn up for anything with the word "Republican" in it, you get war-monger fascists, christian theocracy muslim hating homophobes, and jerkoffs who think that opposing Obama = resisting tyranny.

haha but I don't want to spoil the surprise man, have fun.

Very true, but one step at a time. We need to take every seat that we can!

FSP-Rebel
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM

I'd think that as chair you can set the stage for the discussion or action at hand just like any other leader would do. Steer the drones in the right direction and [perhaps tell them that this isn't the Fox news club] focus on all things fiscal and guns. We're in imminent danger from our govt not the unseen over yonder. That said, well done to Rocco and keep building your resume. Would like to know how things are going once in a while.

Rocco
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
For sure. I can think of so many ways this can pay dividends, for example....when 2016 comes around I will be able to endorse Rand Paul and have it actually mean something within the republican party. That power alone should convince people to run for these spots!

I'd think that as chair you can set the stage for the discussion or action at hand just like any other leader would do. Steer the drones in the right direction and [perhaps tell them that this isn't the Fox news club] focus on all things fiscal and guns. We're in imminent danger from our govt not the unseen over yonder. That said, well done to Rocco and keep building your resume. Would like to know how things are going once in a while.

Agorism
01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Congrats.

Only they would know who he was if they saw this post on the exact day he was elected.

Rocco
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread with an update. My major responsibility as a town chairman has been to find candidates to run for our offices. We have 6 spots up for election with 2 incumbent republicans running, and I am happy to report that a bonafide liberty candidate has stepped up to run for one of the seats. For purposes of keeping the info from the democrats I will not say who it is or what position he is running for, but I will be able to tell you all that info once we make our public announcement! We met with the larger county GOP exec committee last night, and they loved the energy and enthusiasm we are putting forth.

There were only 3 people in the meeting under 50, all of whom were liberty minded (myself, the president of a local college conservatives and our candidate) and I think we are making an extraordinarily favorable impression on the party regulars. Having a 28 year old (our candidates age), 22 year old and 20 year old show up to a GOP meeting has rarely happened to them before and you could really feel the excitement they had for the fact that we were getting involved. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, maybe my committee is not the norm, but I have come to view our committee people as allies and they seem very enthusiastic about getting liberty minded people more involved. I look forward to updating you further as things continue to unfold!

sailingaway
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Terrific!

CT4Liberty
02-15-2013, 12:35 PM
+Rep awesome news!

FSP-Rebel
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
We need a lot more of this, people. The guy we want for our district chair is already backing our people for state comm and seems to be more organizationally adept of the two that are running for it. Next weekend is when we see how the immediate future of our state party looks like.