PDA

View Full Version : Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

twomp
01-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.

President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.

The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).

The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”

The Secret Service started protecting presidents in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. In 1965, Congress passed a law authorizing the agency, which is now a part of the Department of Homeland Security, to protect former presidents for life.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-signs-law-giving-himself-bush-lifetime-secret-184305122--politics.html

sirgonzo420
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Hell, I don't blame him.

If I were up to the stuff that he is up to, I might want lifetime protection too.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
LOL!

What about those gun free zones when they apply to YOU, huh?

kathy88
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
How much is that going to cost us? This hypocritical piece of shit is unreal.

Let me get this straight. It's okay for someone protecting him to have a gun, but we can't protect ourselves? And we have to pay for his protection? Amirite?

itshappening
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
President's never used to have security.

The first assassination attempt was on Andrew Jackson.

When the would be assassins gun jammed, Jackson beat him with his cane.

Romulus
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Is this on top of the 400k yearly salary they get for life?

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
President's never used to have security.

The first assassination attempt was on Andrew Jackson.

When the would be assassins gun jammed, Jackson beat him with his cane.

Just like he slayed the Second Bank.
"You are a den of vipers! I intend to rout you out, and by Eternal God, I will rout you out!" —Andrew Jackson

I was happy to see this provision go with Clinton and now this. Meanwhile Ron says he doesn't need SS troops during the primaries because he said private security could do fine and he didn't want the taxpayers to have to pay for it and..........oh Jesus I could rant forever so I'll stop but damn this administration sucks. /rant off

Philhelm
01-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Truth be told, I'd be too scared to be one of his bodyguards.

twomp
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Truth be told, I'd be too scared to be one of his bodyguards.

I don't think I would. You'd be armed with the best the taxpayers could buy.

Aratus
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
BHO + g.w bush are inside a rarified zone.
right now this sends the secret service in
jimmy carter's and the H.W's direction let
alone bill clinton as hillary is toying with a
potus run! we are inside a war on terror...

phill4paul
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Will he get to charge them rent?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/31/biden-charging-secret-service-cottage-rental/?page=all

Philhelm
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't think I would. You'd be armed with the best the taxpayers could buy.

Yet hopelessly outnumbered should the SHTF.

VanBummel
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Gun free zones are for peasants.

Philhelm
01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Gun free zones are for peasants.

Some things never change.

Although, to be fair, even the kings of Europe had their limits...

ClydeCoulter
01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
The president and his/her spouse for life and the kids till age 16? With guns and everything?

Wouldn't this law apply to the "Pay raise not allowed for the person/term in the current position when the raise is given" type thing?

Occam's Banana
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm not gonna say a thing ... otherwise, colleagues of Georgie's praetorians might show up at my door to haul me away ...

alucard13mmfmj
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
What about our budget and the fiscal cliff??

devil21
01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Sure is easy to get laws passed that benefit only the elite, isn't it?