PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else gonna hand out slim jims at stores on Black Friday?

Starks
11-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I only have a few, but at least I'm gonna do my part.

Cindy
11-21-2007, 06:07 PM
YES! 3 of the local meetups are doing a sign wave, lit handout, at the entrance off a major road into a Mall on Black Friday.

I can't wait.

McDermit
11-21-2007, 07:44 PM
yeah. Our meetups don't have any official group plans, but my ex met with a bunch of our members tonight to hook them up with slim jims and stuff for Friday. We'll have a bunch of people at various locations.

Trassin
11-21-2007, 07:49 PM
My meetup group, the one in St. Louis, and another one just south of where I live all have events scheduled. Now it's just a matter of how many people are willing to get up that early to get the job done.

I don't expect to have a very big turn out though. :(

To bad more people aren't willing to do more than talk about getting Ron Paul elected.

Mark Rushmore
11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
North Jersey - check.

Tratzman
11-21-2007, 08:03 PM
What about the legality of flyering and sign-waving on mall private property? Is there a court ruling upholding first amendment rights to do this? My wife said we can't do it legally without permission and she's a mall manager. What say you guys?

cameronb
11-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think your 1st amendment rights extend onto someone else's property. I'd think the best thing is to hand out slim jims at a retail strip where there is no property manager on site (usually a mall has on site management, but retail strips with a supermarket or drug store don't) -- if only the managers of various tenants are on site, they probably don't have too much say over what you do out in the collective parking lot.

Of course, another approach is to take a fairly low key approach and just offer slim-jims to passersby, and odds are you won't be asked to leave. Or have some folks waving signs out on the sidewalk, and others in the parking lot being respectful and non-confrontational, handing out slim-jims.

Some friends and I have done this once and it worked great. Plan to do it again this friday.

Lastly, you can always just do it until asked to leave and then go to another spot. Even passing out 10 or 15 slim-jims is worth showing up!

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-21-2007, 08:12 PM
What about the legality of flyering and sign-waving on mall private property? Is there a court ruling upholding first amendment rights to do this? My wife said we can't do it legally without permission and she's a mall manager. What say you guys?

I say do it if it's the only place available.
And if you get confronted, be courteous and respectful and then find a new place... after you turn the rent-a-cop onto Ron Paul of course. :p

Black Friday is on the list of 'National Events' at www.ronpaulsrebels.com

Grandson of Liberty
11-21-2007, 08:14 PM

I'd say you should be fine on the sidewalk/corner next to the entrances to the parking lots. Plus people flyer cars all the time in lots, though I know that doesn't necessarily make it legal

teshuah
11-21-2007, 08:25 PM
yup, we're gonna do it here.... along with passing out free coffee and a place to warm up if we can get the generator running.

Highstreet
11-21-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm gonna play stupid, but what are Slim Jims? And where can I get some?

BTW, does anyone have a link to a pdf I can print out for flyers?

Dorfsmith
11-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna play stupid, but what are Slim Jims? And where can I get some?

BTW, does anyone have a link to a pdf I can print out for flyers?

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Categories?category=Slim+Jims

kutibah
11-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah, technically you can't do it on private property. Our meetup group was confronted by security when we had a sign rally in this outdoor mall area. So we simply took it out to the public sidewalk at the entrance of the mall and they couldn't do anything =)

kmj.ronpaul
11-21-2007, 09:19 PM
People from the Cleveland and Kent, OH groups are planning to hit the malls armed with slim jims on Friday morning.

Cindy
11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

That's my understanding.

We are doing a sign waving at the public street entrance into the mall. We'll be handing out slim Jims/Dvds and stuff, to those stopped at the red lights.

For fun, I burned a CD of Ron Paul songs to play loud on a boom box, and will be picking up some red, white and blue helium balloons to draw more attention to us and the signs.

We are not starting ours until 10:00. A.M.

I hope our combined national efforts on that day turn on thousands of more RP supporters!!!

teshuah
11-22-2007, 06:26 PM
we'll be out at 10pm tonight. the stores open at midnight!! brrrr... it's about 25degrees out right now. we're passing out slim jims and coffee and a warm place to sit for a couple mins

wisen
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM

9:20 PM My daughter just called to say she's going to Best Buy to stand in line till 3AM to get a ticket for a computer.

I sure wish dailypaul wasn't down or I'd post the idea for laptops to go out to these waiting lines.

They would have a captive audience all night!!

Can someone tell me how to post a new topic on this site. I just can't figure out how to do it!

wisen
11-22-2007, 08:36 PM
9:20 PM ET My daughter just called to say she's going to Best Buy to stand in line till 3AM to get a ticket for a computer.

I sure wish dailypaul wasn't down or I'd post the idea for laptops to go out to these waiting lines.

They would have a captive audience all night!!

voytechs
11-22-2007, 08:41 PM
We've got slim-jims locked in and ready, signs are cleaned from all the mud we collected on previous walk this past weekend. We're hitting the mall 9am sharp.

Bruehound
11-22-2007, 08:42 PM
We'll be working the store lines for ballot access petition signatures in Chicago area.