PDA

View Full Version : Rand's GOA amendment is getting blocked by McConnell and McCain! Please read!

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 11:44 PM
I posted this in this forum because it is so important and needs our grassroots efforts but if a moderator wants to move it to the Rand Paul forum I understand. Rand is planning to offer a GOA-originated amendment requiring a two-thirds vote in the Senate before any anti-gun measure can be passed. However McCain and Levin are attempting to make a Senate rule change that only McConnell (Minority Leader) or John McCain (Floor Manager) can offer amendments, no one else. Please contact your Senators. Demand that they oppose the McCain-Levin package to make gun control easier to pass, and (2) support the Rand Paul amendment to require a two-thirds vote to enact gun control. Here is a link to more information at GOA's site and a contact form or feel free to draft your own.

http://gunowners.org/a01042013.htm

sluggo
01-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Just sent to Sen(s) Richard Burr and Kay Hagan.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 06:56 AM
+rep for your support. Thank you!

V3n
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Bump and done!

There's a real easy form to fill out that will e-mail your Senators - just a few clicks.
Hopefully they get the message!!

nobody's_hero
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm sorry but, I'm confused.

I know this is 'war' basically, but isn't it kind of a democrat-tactic to take a simple majority (assuming we could get some democrats on board) and then make the new threshold 2/3s?

It reminds me somewhat of when Democrats didn't even have a majority and they managed to make Obamacare "deemed as passed".

I will email my senators, though.

specsaregood
01-10-2013, 08:24 AM
The sample letter as written will only encourage my senators to vote for the McCain-Levin amendment. Anybody got any sample content to oppose this from a middle/left POV?

MelissaCato
01-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Done.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Most of this has to with McCain and Levin attempting to make a Senate rule change that only McConnell or John McCain can offer amendments on any gun control related bill. With nobody able to even offer amendments, the combined power of McConnell and McCain could push something nasty through the Senate pretty quick. McCain has been very vocal about his digust with Rand and his filibustering to require debate on key subjects. This could set an ungly precedent that could potentially be difficult to stop down the road. That combined with the fact that McCain is working with Levin on this makes me very suspicous of his intentions.

Brett85
01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
It doesn't really sound like McConnell is blocking Rand's amendment. The title seems to be incorrect.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 08:34 AM
The sample letter as written will only encourage my senators to vote for the McCain-Levin amendment. Anybody got any sample content to oppose this from a middle/left POV?

The sample letter is a little vague. Might be better (if you have the time) to email them directly. Besides, the replies are often amusing to read.:D

kathy88
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Perhaps a good way to approach this would be from the perspective that allowing only two people to make those decisions is another step further for the GOP toward a "top down" rather than a "bottom up" approach to governance.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 08:41 AM
It doesn't really sound like McConnell is blocking Rand's amendment. The title seems to be incorrect.

In response to Rand's proposed amendment, McCain and McConnell want to block the ability to amend any gun legislation passed, unless it comes from them. The issue here is not just an amendment but the power grab between the two to ram through legislation they like as quickly as possible. McCain has already publicly criticized Rand on his filibustering and it would be ugly to see this start to become a tactic they get comfortable with. Kathy88's post above says this more eloquently than I can.;)

osan
01-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Done. Manchin and Rockefeller... for what it may be worth.

TomtheTinker
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Bump

specsaregood
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
The sample letter is a little vague. Might be better (if you have the time) to email them directly. Besides, the replies are often amusing to read.:D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm already on my senators "ignore list" or worse their "report list".

With that said, I'll have to figure out a way to word it in a way that would sound like a good idea to oppose it from a liberal pov.

Brett85
01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
In response to Rand's proposed amendment, McCain and McConnell want to block the ability to amend any gun legislation passed, unless it comes from them. The issue here is not just an amendment but the power grab between the two to ram through legislation they like as quickly as possible. McCain has already publicly criticized Rand on his filibustering and it would be ugly to see this start to become a tactic they get comfortable with. Kathy88's post above says this more eloquently than I can.;)

I guess what I was saying is that it's a McCain-Levin amendment, so they seem to be the main ones who are trying to block Rand's amendment. But maybe McConnell is in on it as well.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I guess what I was saying is that it's a McCain-Levin amendment, so they seem to be the main ones who are trying to block Rand's amendment. But maybe McConnell is in on it as well.

It's a McCain-Levin amendment that would only allow McCain as the floor manager or McConnell, the minority leader to propose any amendments. This is not just potentially bad for Rand, it is an ugly thing to do to all the rest of the Senators that might have input. Why is Rand the only Senator offended by this? Never mind, I know the answer to that.

I should have phrased the title differently now that I think about it but I thought the link at GOA explained it well.

Darguth
01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately my senators are Levin and Stabenow, anything from me on this would fall on completely deaf ears.

Koz
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Done.

And I sent it to about 20 people.

ClydeCoulter
01-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Dan Coats contacted

Occam's Banana
01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
A Senate ... a triumvirate* ... a rapidly disintegrating Republic with a recently "departed" champion** ... why does this all seem familiar ... ?

* McCain, Levin, McConnell
** guess who ...

FSP-Rebel
01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Here's the action item on this by GOA (http://gunowners.org/a01042013.htm) and can link at the bottom to email your Senators, super fast and easy.

FSP-Rebel
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Also, the action item from GOA on the "nuclear option" affecting filibusters and amendments is HERE (http://gunowners.org/a01042013.htm) and identical to the procedure I listed above. Go! Also, consider joining Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.co/new-annual-membership) in response to the NRA getting 100k new members recently and Pratt's interview on the PMS.

Deborah K
01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, Feinstein and Boxer are my Senators. Think I'll get anywhere with them? LOL.

puppetmaster
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
done and easy as usual.

FSP-Rebel
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Well, Feinstein and Boxer are my Senators. Think I'll get anywhere with them? LOL.
Mine are Levin and Stabmenow so I just hit them up to flip them the bird.

VictorB
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Contact info for Sen. Ted Cruz isn't up yet. At least I haven't found it. I'll send a message out to Sen. John Cornyn in a few.

cajuncocoa
01-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Here's the action item on this by GOA (http://gunowners.org/a01042013.htm) and can link at the bottom to email your Senators, super fast and easy.Thanks, Sen. Landrieu and Sen. Vitter contacted.

cajuncocoa
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
BTW, I posted a link to the petition at XDTalk (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/) (discussion board about guns, gun ownership, etc.)

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Thank you for all the support on this! It figures McCain is teaming up with Democrat Levin to make this seem like a bi-partisan effort and to get as much support for this in the Senate as he possibly can. As Dr. Paul has said so many times, sometimes the worst things in Congress happen when it is a quick bi-partisan decision. Especially after a tragedy or crisis..... I'm not on Facebook or Twitter but those that are, feel free to post, tweet away. What concerns me the most about this is them getting accustomed to this kind of end-around behavior and what that will do to so many of the things that Rand is trying to change in the Senate. Once again, the support here is unbelievable. Everybody here is on top of it. Let's keep it up and expose these guys for the snakes that they are.

Aratus
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
rand is becoming a major player if john mccain has to ask himself what rand is about to say publically before he does things

grizzums
01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Senators Cantwell and Murray contacted.. not that it will do much good with these two, but it can't hurt.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Is this a senate rule change for ALL things? In other words are they trying to nullify Senators who stray from the party line altogether as the House does? Or is this a special rule posture for this bill? Because if it is for all topics that would go far beyond this topic in importance and should galvanize all sorts of groups if that is the case. Is it? I want to know how to present it and whether progressives would be as bent out of shape on this as anyone.

unknown
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Motherf*ck McCain. Get this mother effer out of office already, WTF.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Is this a senate rule change for ALL things? In other words are they trying to nullify Senators who stray from the party line altogether as the House does? Or is this a special rule posture for this bill? Because if it is for all topics that would go far beyond this topic in importance and should galvanize all sorts of groups if that is the case. Is it? I want to know how to present it and whether progressives would be as bent out of shape on this as anyone.

As far as I can tell, the McCain/Levin alliance was forged when Rand Paul proposed his 2/3 vote in the Senate requirement before any new gun legislation can be passed. Rand's amendment is unique and specific to gun legislation and I don't think he is proposing any sort of Senate rule change. I can't find any information on whether McCain/Levin is similarly unique and whether it would be permanent. It certainly would streamline the passage process if they are able to ban any amendments or debate (unless it comes from McCain or McConnell) once they get bills crafted. Even if it is not permanent, if this becomes a hat-trick they realize they can perform when needed, this is a serious problem. I will keep digging and try to find out if this is a Senate rule change proposal by McCain/Levin or not. We know how much McCain has loved Rand's filibustering and amendments in the past, so I'm sure he would love to make it permanent.

Note: The GOA is calling their proposal a "package" as opposed to a rule change so it sounds like it is "just" pertaining to the Feinstein gun-control bill they are putting together in the Senate but I will try to find out for sure. I wish I had connections.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
As far as I can tell, the McCain/Levin alliance was forged when Rand Paul proposed his 2/3 vote in the Senate requirement before any new gun legislation can be passed. Rand's amendment is unique and specific to gun legislation and I don't think he is proposing any sort of Senate rule change. I can't find any information on whether McCain/Levin is similarly unique and whether it would be permanent. It certainly would streamline the passage process if they are able to ban any amendments or debate (unless it comes from McCain or McConnell) once they get bills crafted. Even if it is not permanent, if this becomes a hat-trick they realize they can perform when needed, this is a serious problem. I will keep digging and try to find out if this is a Senate rule change proposal by McCain/Levin or not. We know how much McCain has loved Rand's filibustering and amendments in the past, so I'm sure he would love to make it permanent.

the question is would the change impact all bills going forward or just this one? Because the dems are trying to 'reform' (ie prevent) fillibuster, and if this is on everything, EVERYONE who doesn't like establishment ideas, from whatever side of the spectrum should be outraged.

kathy88
01-10-2013, 05:41 PM
rand is becoming a major player if john mccain has to ask himself what rand is about to say publically before he does things

Maybe Rand can get him so pissed McCain takes a swing at him on the floor.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
They are actually calling the bill "Diane Feinstein's Grand Plan." Vomit bag not included.

kathy88
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I'd love to be able to tie that bitch to the gun lobby.

paulbot24
01-10-2013, 06:12 PM
It is looking more and more like this is specific to Feinstein's bill and not a Senate rule change. In our "new normal" dysfunctional government, this is good news but it really isn't. If they invoke this temporary alliance BS after every tragedy (read: opportunity), it might as well be a permanent rule change. Then there is the chance that the Republicans could get so fed up with Rand and his appeal to common sense that they eventually agree with the Dems and end filibustering and amendment debate altogether, which means they wouldn't be subject to annoyances like having to actually read their legislation and of course that whole floor debate thing that can be very tiresome.:eek:

cajuncocoa
01-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Maybe Rand can get him so pissed McCain takes a swing at him on the floor.:D