PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff gives advice on how to keep cops from shooting your dogs.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Protecting Your Dog

Do you include your dog in your home-defense plan?
by Sheriff Jim Wilson

January 08, 2013

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/blog.php?id=27359&cid=1101

From time to time we see reports of police shooting a dog in the course of responding to a call for assistance or while executing a warrant for search or arrest. Without a doubt, some of these incidents may be the result of poor training or the lack of proper planning on the part of law enforcement. However, that is of little comfort to the citizen when his family pet has been destroyed. With some thought, planning, and training, this kind of tragedy can often be avoided.

Having a family dog should be viewed as a commitment on the part of the dog owner. Besides proper feeding and regular vet care, the dog also needs basic obedience training. The animal should be taught to come on command, as well as to sit and to stay. Your dog should understand that “No” means that he is to stop what he is doing and pay attention to you. In short, you should be able to control your dog whether it is loose, or on a leash. This sort of training is surprisingly effective and inexpensive. The local pet store or your vet can direct you to trainers who can educate both you and your dog.

Allowing a dog to run loose in the neighborhood is not only a way to make enemies of all of your neighbors, it is also virtually a guarantee that the dog will come to the attention of the authorities. If the animal is not in a fenced enclosure, it should be on a leash and under your control. Training and controlling your pet will go a long way towards keeping it safe, not to mention how much your neighbors will appreciate you.

Sadly, the police can’t look at a dog and determine that it is harmless anymore than they can tell the good guys from the bad guys simply by looking at them. However, dealing with family pets ought to be part of every policeman’s training. And every tactical unit should develop plans for neutralizing a dog without harming it, if at all possible. Pet owners in a community might even consider opening a dialog with local law enforcement to address these issues and help develop this training.

We talk about the importance of having a plan for protecting your family. The family dog is a valuable part of most families and deserves protection as well. The solution is planning and training. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
- "From time to time we see reports of police shooting a dog in the course of responding to a call for assistance or while executing a warrant for search or arrest."

If you are a member of RPF, you will never miss any of these reports thanks to the tireless efforts of every dog's best friend, AF.:D

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
The comments:

Anon
January 08, 2013 06:16:50 pm
Bull. This is a treatise on "the [expletive] cops are going to shoot your dog because he is a dog and they are cops." There are too many instances of dogs being shot by cops while they are restrained to believe this crap. Cops like to shoot dogs because they can. Dogs respond to abnormal conditions - such as strangers entering their territory - and cops use that response as an excuse to shoot the dog. Not that effing cops need any excuse to shoot a dog. Example: Mayor Cheye Calvo of Berwyn Heights, Maryland had his two Labrador retrievers in his kitchen shot and killed by cops during a police "drug raid" caused by a druggie shipping drugs to his porch by UPS which the cops figured out and about which Mayor Calvo knew nothing. On entry the cops shot the dogs only because they were dogs, and cops can shoot dogs without any penalty.

Phelps
January 08, 2013 06:20:51 pm
This advice would be much more persuasive if such a large percentage of the dogs killed weren't ON leashes, or stopped in place, or fleeing, or coming to an officer that was calling them while fenced into their own yard. It seems to me that the best way to protect pets is to get police out of the habit of destroying them on a whim.

A Dog Owner
January 08, 2013 01:58:52 pm
Here, let me fix that for you: Sadly, police are trained to kill family pets as a matter of course during execution ot search warrants. Period. Any other assertion is just a bald faced lie.

wizardpc
January 08, 2013 05:29:20 pm
But.... They shoot dogs in crates.

Gunnutmegger
January 08, 2013 11:19:09 pm
Shame on you, Sheriff, for trying to defend the indefensible. I wonder what sort of behavior it would take for you to actually condemn a police officer? Perhaps we should re-align the training that law enforcement receives, to de-emphasize pet murder and to focus on being able to respond to school shootings in less than 20 minutes.

Jeffsrsonian
January 09, 2013 12:58:44 am
Yeah. this article really stinks. I don't think you have the right to let your pets run loose, but he wants to make it the pet owners fault that cops are taught to kill the dogs first thing when they arrive on scene. Look chief. If the dog is barking and acting in aggressive manner because jack-booted thugs have descended on it's home, it is because that is exactly what dogs are bred to do. Tell me you don't expect and train for that exact behavior in your cop K-9s.

Jim Wilson
January 09, 2013 09:15:26 am
My point is that, as a dog owner, you should first have a well behaved dog, then, second, put pressure on the police to change their policies, if that is necessary.

Dante
January 09, 2013 08:24:15 am
Comments...'My point is that, as a dog owner, you should first have a well behaved dog, then, second, put pressure on the police to change their policies' Our point, Mr. Wilson, is that you are well-paid to keep your goons from shooting unarmed, harmless life forms. And you can't do it. so you put the blame on the dog-owners. That is dangerous for the community you swore an oath to protect.

Anthony
January 09, 2013 09:15:27 am
Here we are, putting pressure on police -YOU- to stop killing our dogs on their own property when the police shouldn't be there then lying about it. Why don't you do some research on Puppycide then write an article about that? And call out the police who wrongly shoot dogs.

robert
January 09, 2013 10:47:25 am
Wilson, who is usually entertaining if not informative, is simply not up to speed on this topic. There is simply too much data about police shooting dogs while cutting across property they have no business being on, shooting polite, well-behaved dogs, shooting dogs at the wrong address, dogs behind fences, dogs who are retreating, et,et. He should read "The Agitator" blog and look up "puppycide" if he is going to risk his brand expounding on this subject. Those folks track it in news stories nationwide. Our postal service goes to every address in the nation and never shoots a dog. They are TRAINED to handle canine situations. The police should be at least as well trained. What I hear, and what Jim probably knows, is that police officers are separated into two groups: those who have fired their guns in the line of duty in a legitimate shoot and those who haven't. MANY LEOs are desperate to make their bones and join the top group, even if it means shooting a dog.

Vance Justice
January 09, 2013 06:55:26 am
Sheriff Wilson, isn't it true that any person, whether a law enforcement officer or not, who enters the private property of another without either the owner's permission or a warrant and causes damage to the owner's property is guilty of trespass vi et armis, and that it is the property owner's right to employ force to defend his life and property?

Aaron2
January 09, 2013 07:18:39 am
Here, I fixed it for you. Without a doubt, some of these incidents may be the result of poor training or the lack of proper planning on the part of law enforcement.' Without a doubt most of these incidents may be the result of poor training or the lack of proper planning on the part of people who barely got through high school, and have REALLY been looking forward to firing off that shiny new gun. I mean those legal classes were Boooooorrrrring!!! Amiright? Amiright? I mean, phhhsst. We don't get CHARGED with things! We can't even be BLAMED! Fire away, compadres! Its not like they can do anything about it after the fact! Hey if they complain, I bet you can find a way to charge with with 'obstructing' or something! Classic!

mmmwright
January 09, 2013 09:44:18 am
Ooooo, Sheriff Jim - I don't think this audience is buying what you're selling. Probably because it is [expletive].

Jim Wilson
January 09, 2013 03:31:28 pm
Vance...LEO may enter property if they have a warrant, if they observe a crime, or if they believe that someone's life is in immediate danger. Police officers should not damage any more property or use any more force than is necessary on people or animals. If they use unnecessary force, they should be held accountable and the law allows for this thru citizen complaints and lawsuits.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 07:00 PM
- "From time to time we see reports of police shooting a dog in the course of responding to a call for assistance or while executing a warrant for search or arrest."

If you are a member of RPF, you will never miss any of these reports thanks to the tireless efforts of every dog's best friend, AF.:D

I know, don't ya love it: "from time to time"...LOL.

Thanks for the compliment, it is appreciated, but let me make something clear:

While I love a big ol' cuddly dog, like my Goofy Newfy, and am outraged at seeing these "cop kills dog" stories on a daily basis, pretty much, it is not primarily for the dogs that I do this.

I do it to prove a point, to sound an alarm: they are working their way up to us.

And this regime thinks I'm going to comply with gun prohibitions???

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Look chief. If the dog is barking and acting in aggressive manner because jack-booted thugs have descended on it's home, it is because that is exactly what dogs are bred to do. Tell me you don't expect and train for that exact behavior in your cop K-9s.

That comment is priceless.

AFPVet
01-09-2013, 07:02 PM
It's conditioning too. If it's easy for you to shoot a harmless dog, shooting a human won't be much of a problem.

AGRP
01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Cant wait until his next article on advice to women on rape entitled:

Its your fault because you wore provocative clothes!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Protecting Your Dog

Do you include your dog in your home-defense plan?
by Sheriff Jim Wilson

January 08, 2013

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/mobile/blog.php?id=27359&cid=1101

Sadly, the police can’t look at a dog and determine that it is harmless anymore than they can tell the good guys from the bad guys simply by looking at them.

So they shoot every living thing in sight, and then sort it out later. Thank you for your candor, Mr. Wilson.

I doubt my dog will hurt anyone, but he'll be the first to tell me you're here.

tod evans
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Dear sheriff Wilson,

Fuck You!

Lucille
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
However, dealing with family pets ought to be part of every policeman’s training. And every tactical unit should develop plans for neutralizing a dog without harming it, if at all possible. Pet owners in a community might even consider opening a dialog with local law enforcement to address these issues and help develop this training.

It seems to me that dealing with family pets is part of every LEOs training, and not harming them has nothing to do with it.

Community Pet Owners: Stop killing our pets!
LEOs: Officer safety.

As an aside, I saw that linked on Balko's Morning Links which I'm sure is where you saw it too. I find it so depressing to go there. He is being utterly ignored by the PuffHpo community, and he deserves so much better. Is he just buried there or what? I have to find him through Agitator (http://www.theagitator.com/).

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 07:37 PM
It seems to me that dealing with family pets is part of every LEOs training, and not harming them has nothing to do with it.

Community Pet Owners: Stop killing our pets!
LEOs: Officer safety.

As an aside, I saw that linked on Balko's Morning Links which I'm sure is where you saw it too. I find it so depressing to go there. He is being utterly ignored by the PuffHpo community, and he deserves so much better. Is he just buried there or what? I have to find him through Agitator (http://www.theagitator.com/).

Yes, that is exactly where I saw it, and yes, it is a damn shame that he is stuck there at PuffHo.

I hate to drive traffic to the site, but I guess Balko needs to make a living as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/the-agitator

Tod
01-09-2013, 07:51 PM

I must spread some rep around before giving it to you again....

acptulsa
01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
There are ways to make a cop heel for you. Stay calm, work with the cop to get him or her everything he or she needs and is entitled to, and use that magical blend of forcefulness and respect that leaves no doubt in the cop's mind that you'll be his best ally so long as he behaves, and his worst nightmare just as soon as he abuses his position. No doubt a similar attitude and a little foresight can save your dog from them, too. These articles are a wonderful thing, as they help us see the potential danger and think in advance about what to do in the event.

Yeah, the fedgov is trying to federalize, militarize and dehumanize our cops. But you know what? We aren't exactly helpless in the battle for local cops' hearts and minds. The best way to ensure cops decide the feds are their best friends is to stop helping them do their jobs and do them right--and listen to the feds when they insist we have a confrontational relationship with them instead.

Some cops are natural born brownshirts. No doubt in my mind. But even when you encounter one of those, if he's not the only cop on the scene you can still play him off against the human cops.

I have to give this sheriff some points for trying. He's silly to grab the lightning rod, but his advice might help some people save their dogs.

presence
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
http://www.medical-tools.com/shop/images/T/animal-holder-with-lock-34-inch.jpg

Pig Catcher / Snatcher / Snare - 34"

With Lock, animals cannot released unless lock is pressed. Medical Tools Animal holders are first choice because

Excellent Holding Power
Easy to use
with Steel Wire
with Lock
Comfortable Grips
26" extra long rod

Also called:
Animal Snatcher, Animal Snare, Animal Holder, Cop Collar

Usage:
Used for small animals, Pigs, Dogs, Sheep etc

Rod Length: 26 Inches
Length with loop: 34 Inches approx

Details

http://www.medical-tools.com/shop/skin1/images/spacer.gif

http://www.medical-tools.com/shop/pig-catcher-animal-holder-with-lock-34-inch.html

SKU
vets-291

Weight
1300.00 Gms

Price:
$44.87

phill4paul
01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Christ. I'm done with it. My dog knows the meaning of "No." "Heel." "Sit." "Lay down." "Stay." "Drop it."

Your dogs, Mr. Sheriff, only know the command "Sic 'em."

Fuck you very much for your advise. And stay the fuck off my property until you can train them better.

Or they will be met with CFC.

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Another great way to keep cops from shooting dogs is to not call them! Please do your neighbors a favor and do NOT invite the guns and clipboard brigade to your block. I don't care how much the barking annoys you. If a stray dog is roaming the neighborhood, bring your kids inside and close your doors if you feel "threatened" but for Christ's sake, think about your own pets and stop calling the police over this shit! /rant off

acptulsa
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Another great way to keep cops from shooting dogs is to not call them! Please do your neighbors a favor and do NOT invite the guns and clipboard brigade to your block. I don't care how much the barking annoys you. If a stray dog is roaming the neighborhood, bring your kids inside and close your doors if you feel "threatened" but for Christ's sake, think about your own pets and stop calling the police over this shit! /rant off

Or a whole lot of other silly stuff that reasonable neighbors really could work out if they tried.

bunklocoempire
01-09-2013, 08:39 PM
From time to time we see reports of police shooting a dog in the course of responding to a call for assistance or while executing a warrant for search or arrest. Without a doubt, some of these incidents may be the result of poor training or the lack of proper planning on the part of law enforcement.

Your dog should understand that “No” means that he is to stop what he is doing and pay attention to you. In short, you should be able to control your dog whether it is loose, or on a leash. This sort of training is surprisingly effective and inexpensive.

Easier and better to train a f'n dumb animal I guess. :rolleyes: :mad:

What f'n arrogance and blame shifting.

Lucille
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes, that is exactly where I saw it, and yes, it is a damn shame that he is stuck there at PuffHo.

I hate to drive traffic to the site, but I guess Balko needs to make a living as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/the-agitator

I know we're both Agitator fans. And TY! I should be part of the solution and try to drive some traffic there (www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/morning-links-eminent-dom_n_2439855.html?utm_hp_ref=the-agitator).

I read his piece on Buchanan (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/james-buchanan-rip_n_2443693.html?utm_hp_ref=the-agitator) after I clicked your link. It's awesome. I guess that's why he's there; to explain things to the masses...if they can find him!

presence
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
the guns and clipboard brigade

lol

LibertyEagle
01-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Kevlar for dogs. It's a marketing opportunity.

Occam's Banana
01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Sadly, the police can’t look at a dog and determine that it is harmless anymore than they can tell the good guys from the bad guys simply by looking at them.

I do it to prove a point, to sound an alarm: they are working their way up to us.

Hmmmmmm...

From time to time we see reports of police shooting a dog mundane in the course of responding to a call for assistance or while executing a warrant for search or arrest. Without a doubt, some of these incidents may be the result of poor training or the lack of proper planning on the part of law enforcement. However, that is of little comfort to the citizen when his family pet has been destroyed member has been beaten or killed. With some thought, planning, and training, this kind of tragedy can often be avoided.

Having a family dog Being a mundane should be viewed as a commitment on the part of the dog owner every civilian. Besides proper feeding and regular vet care, the dog The mundane also needs basic obedience training. The animal Mundanes should be taught to come on command, as well as to sit and to stay. Your dog A mundane should understand that “No” means that he is to stop what he is doing and pay attention to you us. In short, you we should be able to control your dog whether it is loose, or on a leash you. This sort of training is surprisingly effective and inexpensive. The local pet store or your vet police department's public relations office can direct you to trainers who can educate both you and your dog mundanes such as yourself.

[...]

AF may be on to something here.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Hmmmmmm...
AF may be on to something here.

Mundanes should be taught to come on command, as well as to sit and to stay. A mundane should understand that “No” means that he is to stop what he is doing and pay attention to us.

Ya think?

TSA Lies About Bizarre “Freeze” Drill

Erroneously claims travelers are alerted before exercise

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
September 28, 2012

http://www.infowars.com/tsa-lies-about-bizarre-freeze-drill/

Following controversy over a You Tube video which shows the TSA’s bizarre “freeze” policy in action, the federal agency responded by lying about the nature of the drill, erroneously claiming that travelers are notified beforehand.

The footage shows travelers at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in Arizona being caught up in what the TSA calls “Code Bravo,” a suddenly announced drill whereby passengers who have already passed through security are required to “freeze” on command.

The You Tube user who uploaded the video commented, ” I suddenly found myself in a bunch of travelers who were being sharply told to “STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE! DON’T MOVE!”. A TSA employee was pointing his blue-gloved hand at anyone who moved a muscle (including airport workers) and barking these orders. Beyond him were two other agents doing the same thing to everyone in a 90-degree radius. The tension was rather palpable, as you might imagine. No explanation was given, no other words were spoken. No one moved a muscle. Parents grabbed their children. Anyone who fidgeted or made a step forward got yelled at.”

“Two minutes or so later, Mr. Gloved Hand brusquely waved everyone about their business (as seen in the tape)….After this, I walked into the terminal intersection they had cut off, expecting to see someone in handcuffs, face down on the carpet with a bunch of cops on him. Or at least ONE single police officer or security guard… but there were none. There was NO incident happening, whatsoever.”

TSA spokeswoman Kristin Lee admitted to the New York Times that travelers are not mandated to obey the order to “freeze”. The article highlights two separate occasions during which NY Times columnist Joe Sharkey experienced the same drill.

After our original article was picked up by the Drudge Report and the story was also reported on by other news outlets, the TSA responded by claiming that travelers are notified beforehand that the order to “freeze” is part of a drill.

After first admitting to the Phoenix New Times that passengers are kept in the dark over the order to “freeze” or “stop,” TSA spokeswoman Nico Melendez later corrected herself by claiming “I was mistaken earlier. In fact, our TSOs do alert passengers of the drill and thank them for their patience. The exercise usually takes no more than 2 minutes.”

However, this is simply not true.

In the case of the drill at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, travelers were not informed of the drill beforehand. In addition, the two drills experienced by NY Times writer Joe Sharkey at different airports were not preceded by a warning.

Other cases where passengers have experienced the drill, including ones sent by readers directly to us at Infowars, were also absent any kind of pre-warning.

The TSA has once again been caught lying about its own security procedures.

The federal agency seems reluctant to release much information about the “freeze” drill, presumably because it is so patently ridiculous (a wannabe terrorist would just freeze along with everyone else), that widespread media attention on the issue would cause considerable embarrassment.

In reality, as we highlighted yesterday, the drill has nothing to do with security and everything to do with subjecting Americans to “obedience training,” conditioning them to obey orders from someone in a uniform no matter how bizarre the command.

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 09:46 PM
///

acptulsa
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
If I hear those nutjobs holler 'freeze', I'm not going to do it. I'm going to take cover if possible (from them, before I even look to see where the 'bad guys' might be) or I'll hit the dirt.

Occam's Banana
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Ya think?

TSA Lies About Bizarre “Freeze” Drill

[...]

Proof postive just doesn't get any more positively proofier than that.

KingRobbStark
01-09-2013, 11:01 PM
This is what he should have said, "Don't call us."

heavenlyboy34
01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Why, thankee, Mr Wilson...but don't you think it would be simpler for cops to not behave stupidly? (which should be in the job description somewhere if it isn't)

pcosmar
01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Had a comment.. reconsidered.

It seems that some want a war. (I do not)
I will accept it when it comes.
It is becoming very clear who the enemy is.

Agorism
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Why can't we eat dogs like in other countries?

cjm
01-09-2013, 11:54 PM
...it is not primarily for the dogs that I do this.

And here is the Sheriff's warning:

EDIT: I should have reloaded the page before commenting. OB made the same point in post #22 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?400851-Sheriff-gives-advice-on-how-to-keep-cops-from-shooting-your-dogs.&p=4815177&viewfull=1#post4815177)