PDA

View Full Version : People who don't vote

Black Mamba
01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, what would a persons excuse to be to not vote? Either they know nothing about politics and whats going on in our world, or they're Amish or something like that... I cant think of many other reasons why a person shouldnt vote and participate in our government.

mz10
01-09-2013, 06:20 PM
If someone's ignorant and doesn't pay attention, I'd rather they do us all a favor and not vote

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I've heard Lew Rockwell say plenty of times that he doesn't vote because he feels his participation in the voting process sends a false message to the federal government that he is unaware of the illusion of choice they present to us. I don't agree with this but I can understand the logic in his position. I also respect Lew and his contributions far too much to pick at his opinions.

cajuncocoa
01-09-2013, 06:27 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, what would a persons excuse to be to not vote? Either they know nothing about politics and whats going on in our world, or they're Amish or something like that... I cant think of many other reasons why a person shouldnt vote and participate in our government.There was no one worthy of my vote on the ballot, and my state doesn't allow write-ins. They left me no choice.

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, what would a persons excuse to be to not vote? Either they know nothing about politics and whats going on in our world, or they're Amish or something like that... I cant think of many other reasons why a person shouldnt vote and participate in our government.

George Carlin had some good reasons not to vote....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchPDhk

BuddyRey
01-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Could you clarify your use of the phrase "our government"?

I don't know about you, but I have no government.

erowe1
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Is this serious?

dinosaur
01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Is this serious?

Good question.

Black Mamba
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Well, some people don't vote and that's good, I guess, because they don't care about the process and are oblivious to government. Look at those "on the street" interviews of people who don't know anything about our history or our government. I guess I did word it wrong...the Amish, Quakers, etc are clearly conscience driven to not vote. However, the truly ignorant are those who just don't care and don't even have an opinion or just think "I'll vote for him or her because they're good looking or say cool things." Now that is just plain scary to me.

I agree with Carlin kind of but not totally. I see what he's saying but I don't see how not voting helps. Don't you see the dilema? How can we change this whole mess? It feels like a discussion of futility.

Acala
01-10-2013, 03:44 PM
The people who chose NOT to vote in the last presidential election (along with those who voted L) sent a stronger message than those who DID vote.

Brett85
01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
There was no one worthy of my vote on the ballot, and my state doesn't allow write-ins. They left me no choice.

What was your problem with Gary Johnson?

rideurlightning
01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Some people do not wish to participate in the system that binds them.

erowe1
01-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Well, some people don't vote and that's good, I guess, because they don't care about the process and are oblivious to government. Look at those "on the street" interviews of people who don't know anything about our history or our government. I guess I did word it wrong...the Amish, Quakers, etc are clearly conscience driven to not vote. However, the truly ignorant are those who just don't care and don't even have an opinion or just think "I'll vote for him or her because they're good looking or say cool things." Now that is just plain scary to me.

I agree with Carlin kind of but not totally. I see what he's saying but I don't see how not voting helps. Don't you see the dilema? How can we change this whole mess? It feels like a discussion of futility.

One reason not to vote is that if you do vote, then you have no right to complain.

Danan
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't vote because it doesn't make a difference. I can't even think of theoretical scenario where me voting would actually change anything in a meaningful way. Even in the odd chance that it did change the results, it still wouldn't really make a significant difference in 99% of all elections. So there's my reason.

The only elections I would participate in are the ones where I can personally feel better voting for something I can almost completely approve of, but in the full knowledge that my individual vote is absolutely meaningless. For instance I wouldn't want to miss a one-in-a-lifetime chance to cast my vote for Ron Paul.

Democracy doesn't work.

awake
01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Who in their right mind wants to vote? Especially in light of the fact that voting has birthed the very monolithic creature that is now devouring us alive. Voting is evil unless all votes are respected equally, which is never the case. If I vote myself out of voting, it should be respected, but there reveals the true deception of the whole fraud.

We are slaves in a sophisticated illusion called democracy.

Don't even get me started on what people truly do with their vote: voting themselves the property of others.

rideurlightning
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
^^ Exactly. Voting does nothing sadly. It is an entirely rigged system. The only way to make a real difference is to live like an individual regardless of the law - CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE.