PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul wants to have RonPaul.com.....BAD IDEA

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
I just listened to the latest Ron Paul/Alex Jones interview on 1-9-13 on Youtube and at the very end of the interview Dr. Paul mentions how unfortunate it is that he doesn't have RonPaul.com and his default homepage has to be ronpaulhomepage.com

I hate to say this.....but if I were the owner of RonPaul.com, I would be very hesitant to give it up to RP. Why? First of all, it cost him more than $25,000 to acquire it when it was auctioned on Ebay a few years ago. Second, the owner of ronpaul.com is also the owner of ronpaul2008.com, the domain that was used for the Ron Paul 2008 campaign. Ron Paul's incompetent campaign staff failed to pay $10 for a domain registration renewal and let it expire and he said he was very lucky to acquire it and prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. RonPaul2012.com is due to expire on March 23, 2013 and as usual Ron Paul's incompetent campaign staff hasn't renewed the domain registration and it is likely to expire as well. So I doubt the owner of RonPaul.com is going to hand over his extremely valuable domain to a bunch of incompetent campaign staff who are likely going to let it expire.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?232396-RonPaul.com-folks-acquire-RonPaul2008.com-domain.-Incompetent-CFL-staff-let-it-expire

--- On Fri, 2/19/10, RonPaul.com <support@ronpaul.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Questions about ronpaul2008.com from a Ron Paul supporter
Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 12:57 PM

Yes, we recently acquired RonPaul2008.com. The domain was previously controlled by a former Ron Paul campaign staffer who apparently abandoned it and allowed it to expire. The traffic to RonPaul.com has increased notably. In the wrong hands RonPaul2008.com could have done a lot of harm; the domain is a true search engine powerhouse that would have immediately outranked all other Ron Paul sites (including RonPaul.com). I believe we were very fortunate to find ourselves in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for your interest - you're the first (and so far the only) person to take notice. :)

Regards,

Tim

By the way, I own ronpaul.name

He can have it if he contacts me :)

SpreadOfLiberty
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
If he can't keep a website payed up he shouldn't dream about being President.

Not saying he couldn't manage the site btw.

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM

It only costs $10 per year for domain registration renewal :)

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Benton doesn't work for Ron any more. Josh has this site on auto renewal. I bet he'd tell Ron how to do it if he wanted to know... :p

AdamT
01-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Well, ronpaulhomepage.com is currently available, so either Ron blurted it out without having bought it yet, or he said the wrong domain on the air.

http://i.imgur.com/uCSVw.jpg

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Well, ronpaulhomepage.com is currently available, so either Ron blurted it out without having bought it yet, or he said the wrong domain on the air.

http://i.imgur.com/uCSVw.jpg

Yet another reason part of the deal for acquiring ronpaul.com should be to hire the owner (or one of you) who are up on this stuff....

kathy88
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM

He can have it if he contacts me

HA! I called it.

Maybe he just wants Ron to ask him personally. And say please. LOL.

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Benton doesn't work for Ron any more. Josh has this site on auto renewal. I bet he'd tell Ron how to do it if he wanted to know... :p

Credit cards have expiration dates....I guess Josh needs to login to his account with the domain registration company and update the card on file for renewal when it expires....RP would probably forget to do that when the time comes and the auto-renew would fail if he owned the domain.

RonPaul2012.com needs to be renewed...it's expiring on March 23....let them renew that first and then they can think about managing another domain.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Ron may have no reason to know why it is important he renew that. Ron needs someone who knows those things to run his websites. Why don't you apply?

Confederate
01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
You can register the domain for 10 years...

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
You can register the domain for 10 years...

Of course...but the incompetent campaign staff is most likely unaware of that...they haven't renewed ronpaul2012.com for the next 10 years.

dinosaur
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
I think that Ron Paul should have ronpaul.com. If this guy paid 25,000 then he should be compensated. If anyone gets in touch with the guy and organizes a moneybomb, I will donate. It would be a nice gift to Ron from his supporters.

Confederate
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I think that Ron Paul should have ronpaul.com. If this guy paid 25,000 then he should be compensated. If anyone gets in touch with the guy and organizes a moneybomb, I will donate. It would be a nice gift to Ron from his supporters.

I'd say $25,000 is more than generous, considering the amount the guy has probably made over the years in ad revenue from that site.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 06:46 PM

I agree.

jj-
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Maybe he should rent the domain to Ron to ensure his staff doesn't fail to renew it.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Maybe he should rent the domain to Ron to ensure his staff doesn't fail to renew it.

No businessman would build up the equity in something he didn't own when he could build it in something he did own.

jj-
01-09-2013, 07:38 PM
No businessman would build up the equity in something he didn't own when he could build it in something he did own.

It was sort of a joke to show what nuisances you might have to face after hiring astounding incompetents.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 07:39 PM
It was sort of a joke to show what nuisances you might have to face after hiring astounding incompetents.

I want to get him someone competent. There are so many who support him who are GOOD on the internet, it is criminal he doesn't have staff like that.

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Remember that the state can seize anything you "Own" if it wants to.

Drex
01-09-2013, 07:43 PM
This isn't Ron's fault in anyway, I mean come on how could a 77 year old understand technology that well?

awake
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Money bomb for the name. If I owned the domain he just mentioned it would be his before he was done asking.

newbitech
01-09-2013, 07:48 PM
It only costs $10 per year for domain registration renewal :)

and it's not like you have to register every year. a 10 year registration is 100 bucks. i mean come on.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 08:15 PM
and it's not like you have to register every year. a 10 year registration is 100 bucks. i mean come on.

but RON doesn't know the internet and didn't do it. Someone who knew so little about the internet they just figured they were saving $90 did it.

ClydeCoulter
01-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I think Ron should pay the $25,000.00 for the domain name if he wants it. It will help ensure that it gets renewed from now on. A moneybomb may help with forgetfulness.

green73
01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
WTf? RP used to have control of http:// ronpaul.org/. Now I see it directs to ronpaul.com. How the frig did that happen?

Confederate
01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
WTf? RP used to have control of http:// ronpaul.org/. Now I see it directs to ronpaul.com. How the frig did that happen?

Incompetence

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/5051eaf5ecad04ce2e000006/jesse-benton.jpg

LibertyEagle
01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I just listened to the latest Ron Paul/Alex Jones interview on 1-9-13 on Youtube and at the very end of the interview Dr. Paul mentions how unfortunate it is that he doesn't have RonPaul.com and his default homepage has to be ronpaulhomepage.com

I hate to say this.....but if I were the owner of RonPaul.com, I would be very hesitant to give it up to RP. Why? First of all, it cost him more than $25,000 to acquire it when it was auctioned on Ebay a few years ago. Second, the owner of ronpaul.com is also the owner of ronpaul2008.com, the domain that was used for the Ron Paul 2008 campaign. Ron Paul's incompetent campaign staff failed to pay $10 for a domain registration renewal and let it expire and he said he was very lucky to acquire it and prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. RonPaul2012.com is due to expire on March 23, 2013 and as usual Ron Paul's incompetent campaign staff hasn't renewed the domain registration and it is likely to expire as well. So I doubt the owner of RonPaul.com is going to hand over his extremely valuable domain to a bunch of incompetent campaign staff who are likely going to let it expire.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?232396-RonPaul.com-folks-acquire-RonPaul2008.com-domain.-Incompetent-CFL-staff-let-it-expire

He can have it if he contacts me :)

FYI. There is no more "campaign staff", as the campaign has been over for quite some time.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 09:04 PM

Oh, man... some employee needs never to be hired again....

Honestly, will one of you PLEASE send the man your resumes?? Maybe we need a moneybomb for a singing telegram to get his attention to how much he needs this. The messenger could carry resumes....

kcchiefs6465
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Money bomb for the name. If I owned the domain he just mentioned it would be his before he was done asking.
This. I'm sure Ron Paul could be informed on the importance of registering your domain name for ten year intervals. I'm also relatively sure it would not be an issue to have the domain owner work as webmaster just to ensure registration is up to date. Hopefully the owner of the domain states one way or another what his objections are if he has any.

ClydeCoulter
01-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh, man... some employee needs never to be hired again....

Honestly, will one of you PLEASE send the man your resumes?? Maybe we need a moneybomb for a singing telegram to get his attention to how much he needs this. The messenger could carry resumes....

Okay, maybe that I would chip in for :)

Lord Xar
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Not to be a debbie downer but isn't Ron a millionaire? He could buy the name outright and if the owner is a RP supporter I'm sure he'll give Ron a great deal.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Not to be a debbie downer but isn't Ron a millionaire? He could buy the name outright and if the owner is a RP supporter I'm sure he'll give Ron a great deal.

a 'millionaire' on retirement planning on winding down income isn't the same as a millionaire at 30. He and Carol have to live on that, with inflation, as long as they live. He refused the pension, remember?

But he could pay a reasonable fee, and make it back, I should think. It is criminal that he doesn't have ronpaul.org which he did have. Once he lost the campaign youtube acct in 2008 at least, they should have made sure all accounts were registered for 10 years.

green73
01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Ronpaul.com seems to be on cruise control. They only have one or two posts per week. Weaksauce, ronpaul.com, weaksauce.

green73
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I wonder if they will post the AJ interview.

kcchiefs6465
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I wanted to bring to your attention that today on the Alex Jones show Ron Paul was a guest. When pressed about what his plans for the future were going to be he stated that he was in the works of creating an online show. He specifically stated that since ronpaul.com was taken he would use ronpaulhomepage.com. I wasn't sure if you are aware of this or have been contacted in this regard, so I wanted to bring it to your attention.

Please consider donating or selling this domain name to one of the few honorable statesmen of our era. Ronpaulforums.com has already been talking about a money bomb and I feel compensation for your time and effort is deserved. I might add as well that you do have a very informative website and I am not trying to infringe upon your rights to the property in any way. There is speculation that you will not give up this domain name because of how incompetent his staff was. (Letting RonPaul2008 expire, among other things) That is a very reasonable concern. Is there any way you consider donating or selling this domain? Perhaps if you were guaranteed the title of webmaster as to make sure incompetence never hinders the message again? I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks for your time.
I'll keep you guys posted as to what response I get.

John F Kennedy III
01-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Just organize chip ins or whatever so members here will own the domains :)

$10 a year. Can't be too difficult.

jcannon98188
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
a 'millionaire' on retirement planning on winding down income isn't the same as a millionaire at 30. He and Carol have to live on that, with inflation, as long as they live. He refused the pension, remember?

But he could pay a reasonable fee, and make it back, I should think. It is criminal that he doesn't have ronpaul.org which he did have. Once he lost the campaign youtube acct in 2008 at least, they should have made sure all accounts were registered for 10 years.

Drop a few million in a bank, and you can live off interest for the rest of your life.

kcchiefs6465
01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Drop a few million in a bank, and you can live off interest for the rest of your life.
Ron Paul is a wiser man than to do that. The dollar depreciates faster than the interest accumulates. In other words, money in a 'savings' account is losing more value than the interest it receives. He undoubtedly has dropped a few million in gold/silver bullion and is living comfortably off of rising rates. It is absurd to put a few million notes in a bank. Unless you had double that in bullion. Even then, I would only use dollars to make small transactions easy, though I'd know that my dollar this year isn't going to buy me the same as it does next year.

qh4dotcom
01-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Looks like ronpaul.com acquires everything the RP staff forgets about or lets expire...they also have the ronpaul2008dotcom Youtube channel

qh4dotcom
01-10-2013, 04:49 AM
:)

qh4dotcom
01-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Should the owner of RonPaul.com hand over the domain to RP, what should he do about ronpaul2008.com, ronpaul.org and the ronpaul2008dotcom Youtube channel that he also owns?

fr33
01-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Should the owner of RonPaul.com hand over the domain to RP, what should he do about ronpaul2008.com, ronpaul.org and the ronpaul2008dotcom Youtube channel that he also owns?I think he should hand over ronpaul.com or accept a reasonable payment. If RP wanted too he could sue for all of those domains and win. People do it all the time. But it's not the libertarian thing to do....

newbitech
01-10-2013, 06:12 AM
I think he should hand over ronpaul.com or accept a reasonable payment. If RP wanted too he could sue for all of those domains and win. People do it all the time. But it's not the libertarian thing to do....

what if the gut who owns those sites IS Ron Paul, just a different one than you and I know about?

pacelli
01-10-2013, 06:18 AM
I thought Ron Paul advocated internet freedom and competition in business?

orenbus
01-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Honestly, will one of you PLEASE send the man your resumes??

How do I get him my resume? :)

ClydeCoulter
01-10-2013, 06:57 AM
How do I get him my resume? :)

^^^ THIS, anyknow know THIS? ^^^

orenbus for Ron's domain manager

fr33
01-10-2013, 07:07 AM
what if the gut who owns those sites IS Ron Paul, just a different one than you and I know about?Good point. Then he'd have a better case but it's not likely is it? I don't agree with the laws on this but I'm just saying this type of stuff is common.

angelatc
01-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Good point. Then he'd have a better case but it's not likely is it? I don't agree with the laws on this but I'm just saying this type of stuff is common.

The difference here is that the people who own it bought it from a guy who had that name - they didn't register it to infringe. And he bought it at auction, where anybody presumably had the right to buy it. These people were the highest bidders. The case might be interesting, but repulsive none the less.

I remember when we were pissy because the guy who owned it wouldn't sell it to Paul in 2007. Then when he decided to auction it we were frantic that some hater like Glenn Beck would buy it.

Now we're supposed to froth with anticipation that Ron Paul might go into full blown liberal bully mode and use the force of government to sue it away from a guy who bought it, and has done a really good job with it?

Romulus
01-10-2013, 08:54 AM
This is pissing me off.... he can keep his domain but at least give him ronpaul.org for god sakes. If he was a true fan and patriot he would do that.

If you agree, email him and let him know

grassroots@ronpaul.com

kcchiefs6465
01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Should the owner of RonPaul.com hand over the domain to RP, what should he do about ronpaul2008.com, ronpaul.org and the ronpaul2008dotcom Youtube channel that he also owns?
What ever he wishes. No one wants to infringe on his property rights. A few of us just want him to be reasonable and feel he should be happy to help out one of the best statesmen of all time. With as much as Ron Paul put on the line it should not be an issue to let him have ronpaul.com. If compensation is needed for time and money put in then I am sure we can make that happen. Ronpaulhomepage is a disgrace. Also as far as the youtube channel that would be instumental in further broadcasting the message as well as having a back up for the videos should some strange set of 'coincidences' knock a few of our sites down.

Occam's Banana
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
The difference here is that the people who own it bought it from a guy who had that name - they didn't register it to infringe. And he bought it at auction, where anybody presumably had the right to buy it. These people were the highest bidders. The case might be interesting, but repulsive none the less.

I remember when we were pissy because the guy who owned it wouldn't sell it to Paul in 2007. Then when he decided to auction it we were frantic that some hater like Glenn Beck would buy it.

Now we're supposed to froth with anticipation that Ron Paul might go into full blown liberal bully mode and use the force of government to sue it away from a guy who bought it, and has done a really good job with it?

Some apparently think so. SMH. I guess liberals aren't the only ones with a self-righteous sense of entitlement ... that's one bandwagon I want nothing to do with.

It would (obviously) be very nice of the owner to give or sell the domain "for the cause". But if not - well, that's just too damn bad. He's under no obligation to do so, legal, moral or otherwise. Period.

If someone else had gotten the domain, a great deal of damage could have been done. Seems to me we ought to be grateful just as it is.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM

I honestly think Ron should get all for a fair price but I am MOST upset about RonPaul.org which RON built up over YEARS and this guy had nothing to do with. RON built the views for the youtube channel too, but now he has a new one it isn't as important to me. but if he never runs a campaign again HE should have benefit of his subscriptions and view counts, no one else.

It is Ron's life that makes them valuable, whatever work this guy put in and as a supporter it would seem incomprehensible if he would trail right on Ron's heels scooping up businesses Ron creates of value because some clerk made a petty mistake, yet call himself a supporter.

jmdrake
01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Simple solution (as I said before in another thread and others have said here) is for Ron Paul to simply hire the guy running Ronpaul.com. In fact why not lease the website? Draw up a contract where Ron Paul Inc. pays this guy X dollars per month for the domain names and hosting and pays web upkeep as long as Ron Paul gets full editorial and layout control. Stuff like this happens with real estate all of the time. You then don't have to worry about "incompetent campaign staff" letting stuff expire. One of the things wrong with this movement is some folks are expected to be "patriotic" and do stuff for free while other folks get paid even if the quality of the product is questionable.

jmdrake
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
FYI. There is no more "campaign staff", as the campaign has been over for quite some time.

The campaign is perpetual. (Campaign for Liberty).

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Simple solution (as I said before in another thread and others have said here) is for Ron Paul to simply hire the guy running Ronpaul.com. In fact why not lease the website? Draw up a contract where Ron Paul Inc. pays this guy X dollars per month for the domain names and hosting and pays web upkeep as long as Ron Paul gets full editorial and layout control. Stuff like this happens with real estate all of the time. You then don't have to worry about "incompetent campaign staff" letting stuff expire. One of the things wrong with this movement is some folks are expected to be "patriotic" and do stuff for free while other folks get paid even if the quality of the product is questionable.

Lease is a terrible idea, imho, because it is RON's thing of value that he will build by being associated with it. Why should he build that for someone else? Reasonable payment for the RonPaul.com (honestly I think he should get .org for free, it is HIS) and hiring the guy who obviously knows how to keep domains seems appropriate though. Clearly domain keeping is a skill set Ron's current employees do not have.

qh4dotcom
01-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I honestly think Ron should get all for a fair price but I am MOST upset about RonPaul.org which RON built up over YEARS and this guy had nothing to do with. RON built the views for the youtube channel too, but now he has a new one it isn't as important to me. but if he never runs a campaign again HE should have benefit of his subscriptions and view counts, no one else.

It is Ron's life that makes them valuable, whatever work this guy put in and as a supporter it is incomprehensible that he would trail right on Ron's heels scooping up businesses Ron creates of value because some clerk made a petty mistake, yet call himself a supporter.

Why would you be upset at him? You should be kissing his feet and thanking him...he prevented the expiring domain from falling into the wrong hands.

Imagine if someone else had gotten his hands on that domain....he could setup a porn site, anti-Paul site, pro-Obama site, etc. Imagine someone Googling Ron Paul and this site appears on the top results...and now it's a porn site, anti-Paul site, pro-Obama site, etc.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Why would you be upset at him? You should be kissing his feet and thanking him...he prevented the expiring domain from falling into the wrong hands.

Imagine if someone else had gotten his hands on that domain....he could setup a porn site, anti-Paul site, pro-Obama site, etc. Imagine someone Googling Ron Paul and this site appears on the top results...and now it's a porn site, anti-Paul site, pro-Obama site, etc.

I would be thanking him (not kissing his feet) if he had saved them FOR RON and demanded something reasonable like a fact to face meeting to explain to Ron why he needs better employees who love him to watch this stuff. Not when he takes something Ron built up over years for himself. The RonPaul.com is arguable. The RonPaul.org FOR A SUPPORTER is not imho. Ron built that ranking himself.

You can disagree, but I'm right. :p

squarepusher
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
What's the point of paying for campaign domain names that are for events in the past? (like 2008 election page)

Would be nice if RonPaul.com owner would give it to Ron Paul for costs, or at least cooperate and let Ron Paul use the page.

ClydeCoulter
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
The domain name owner has been contacted. No? Can we wait and see now, how he handles it?

There's something in us that "feels" right about Ron having them. That "feeling" needs to be explored, perhaps it will tell us something about things other than "pure property rights", but maybe not.

Can we wait and see?

qh4dotcom
01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
What's the point of paying for campaign domain names that are for events in the past? (like 2008 election page)

To prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

They have thousands of links pointing to them from all over the Internet...Facebook, blogs, websites, etc. Because of all those links, they are important in the eyes of the search engines and usually receive top rankings in the search engine results

Would you want someone clicking on those thousands of links or googling Ron Paul and clicking on the top search engine results to be taken to a porn site, anti-Paul site, pro-Obama site, etc. if a campaign domain name falls into the wrong hands because it is allowed to expire?

It only costs $10 per year for a domain registration renewal to prevent all of that.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Would be nice if RonPaul.com owner would give it to Ron Paul for costs, or at least cooperate and let Ron Paul use the page.

It has internet dominance because of the number of views, subscriptions etc. that dominance and access to those subscriptions (so your stuff shows up on these people's feeds) is what is lost.

And for Ron to 'use' that other persons page would build up the value of something someone else owns, like building a house on someone else's property.

jmdrake
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Lease is a terrible idea, imho, because it is RON's thing of value that he will build by being associated with it. Why should he build that for someone else? Reasonable payment for the RonPaul.com (honestly I think he should get .org for free, it is HIS) and hiring the guy who obviously knows how to keep domains seems appropriate though. Clearly domain keeping is a skill set Ron's current employees do not have.

So? Depending on the terms of the lease it would in no way be disadvantageous to Ron to do it that way. Besides, ultimately Ron will be "leasing" the domain name from someone, and unless he decides to run his own server farm, he will be "leasing" the computer space from someone else and then on top of it, hire a webmaster. What I'm suggesting would combine all of those things into one. Have you never seen a plot of land that says "For lease, will built to your specifications"? This is basically the same thing but with a website. And the "domain keeping" problem goes away. Really I see no disadvantage to what I'm proposing except for the emotional hurdle the word "lease" may cause.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
So? Depending on the terms of the lease it would in no way be disadvantageous to Ron to do it that way. Besides, ultimately Ron will be "leasing" the domain name from someone, and unless he decides to run his own server farm, he will be "leasing" the computer space from someone else and then on top of it, hire a webmaster. What I'm suggesting would combine all of those things into one. Have you never seen a plot of land that says "For lease, will built to your specifications"? This is basically the same thing but with a website. And the "domain keeping" problem goes away. Really I see no disadvantage to what I'm proposing except for the emotional hurdle the word "lease" may cause.

I understand your suggestion but I think Ron is better off owning what he builds just as I wouldn't want to build a house on someone else's land to get lawn service from the property owner. The greater value is in what Ron would - and in my opinion should - own. But Ron can make that decision for himself, he doesn't need me. It just isnt what I'm pushing for. What I'd like to see is for Ron to get .org back that he built, regardless, then on .com, recognizing that another guy owns it and built it and has the RIGHT to it, I'd like Ron to be able to buy it at a fair price and hire the guy who owns it. but the owner doesn't HAVE to turn it over if they don't come to terms, obviously.

With .org however, which Ron had all these years, I find it hard to see see how you can call yourself a supporter and keep that if Ron wants it just because staff forgot to renew. That would be like a family member knowing you might forget to pay taxes on your property and picking up the property for the cost of taxes, then not giving it back when you offer the money. Legal, sure, but nasty in my personal opinion.

mad cow
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM

For various reasons,I have money in three different banks.The one that pays me the most interest pays 0.5% a year.
The interest on three million would be $15,000 a year.
Doable,but I would have to eat more possum than I care to.

unknown
01-10-2013, 04:38 PM

If who couldnt?

Voluntary Man
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
he shouldn't dream about being President

He doesn't.

qh4dotcom
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I would be thanking him (not kissing his feet) if he had saved them FOR RON and demanded something reasonable like a fact to face meeting to explain to Ron why he needs better employees who love him to watch this stuff. Not when he takes something Ron built up over years for himself. The RonPaul.com is arguable. The RonPaul.org FOR A SUPPORTER is not imho. Ron built that ranking himself.

Ok, I will agree with you....that seems very reasonable...a face to face meeting with Dr. Paul to explain him the importance of domain registration renewals...and before handing it back to Dr. Paul, a 10 year domain registration renewal should be made.

gerryb1
01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
For various reasons,I have money in three different banks.The one that pays me the most interest pays 0.5% a year.
The interest on three million would be $15,000 a year.
Doable,but I would have to eat more possum than I care to.
You should keep a few thousand in those accounts. Anything more then 10's of thousands should be earning 2-8% unless you need the money soon.

angelatc
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Some apparently think so. SMH. I guess liberals aren't the only ones with a self-righteous sense of entitlement ... that's one bandwagon I want nothing to do with.

It would (obviously) be very nice of the owner to give or sell the domain "for the cause". But if not - well, that's just too damn bad. He's under no obligation to do so, legal, moral or otherwise. Period.

If someone else had gotten the domain, a great deal of damage could have been done. Seems to me we ought to be grateful just as it is.

Absolutely. I think the real win/win would be for Ron Paul to hire the guy to run the site the way Ron wants it run. In the meantime, we owe the guy gratitude for keeping the domains out of enemy hands.

angelatc
01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok, I will agree with you....that seems very reasonable...a face to face meeting with Dr. Paul to explain him the importance of domain registration renewals...and before handing it back to Dr. Paul, a 10 year domain registration renewal should be made.

And we thought Ron could run the country?

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
And we thought Ron could run the country?

the president files for his own domain registrations?

angelatc
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM

YEs, we know that. You're a mod!!!

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
YEs, we know that. You're a mod!!!

I just meant, I understand their arguments and disagree, and am not going to change my mind. :o:

ClydeCoulter
01-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I just meant, I understand their arguments and disagree, and am not going to change my mind. :o:

How did the youtube account lapse? I've never had to do anything to keep mine. Is it a special account or something?

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
How did the youtube account lapse? I've never had to do anything to keep mine. Is it a special account or something?

I don't actually know, but others here might. It was before I was active here.

staerker
01-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Imagine a President who can't keep the government payed up.

fr33
01-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Now we're supposed to froth with anticipation that Ron Paul might go into full blown liberal bully mode and use the force of government to sue it away from a guy who bought it, and has done a really good job with it?Yeah I'm not really aware of all that back story. It sounds like Ron Paul really needs to get a clue on this. Anybody can manage domain ownership. It's so simple. If I were in Ron Paul's shoes I wouldn't have let it go this far but if the guy using RonPaul.com was using my likeness with ad revenue, it would be hard not to use the system in my favor.

qh4dotcom
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Yeah I'm not really aware of all that back story. It sounds like Ron Paul really needs to get a clue on this. Anybody can manage domain ownership. It's so simple. If I were in Ron Paul's shoes I wouldn't have let it go this far but if the guy using RonPaul.com was using my likeness with ad revenue, it would be hard not to use the system in my favor.

Everyone here talking about the owner of RonPaul.com and somehow suggesting it's not appropriate from him to profit using Ron Paul's image and likeness forgot two things.

First of all Ron Paul was a publicly elected official and as such his name and image are in the public domain....it is perfectly legal for you to profit from public domain...you can write a book about a publicly elected official like Obama, use his image and keep all profits and you don't owe a dime to Obama. That's the way I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

Second, the owner of RonPaul.com is doing exactly the same as the owner of RonPaulForums.com....both are using Ron Paul's name and generating ad revenue or monetizing their websites thanks to him....so if you aren't too happy with the owner of RonPaul.com generating a profit, why aren't you upset about the owner of RonPaulForums.com getting ad revenue? and what about all the other Ron Paul websites like Daily Paul who are also monetizing their sites?

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Everyone here talking about the owner of RonPaul.com and somehow suggesting it's not appropriate from him to profit using Ron Paul's image and likeness forgot two things.

First of all Ron Paul was a publicly elected official and as such his name and image are in the public domain....it is perfectly legal for you to profit from public domain...you can write a book about a publicly elected official like Obama, use his image and keep all profits and you don't owe a dime to Obama. That's the way I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

Second, the owner of RonPaul.com is doing exactly the same as the owner of RonPaulForums.com....both are using Ron Paul's name and generating ad revenue or monetizing their websites thanks to him....so if you aren't too happy with the owner of RonPaul.com generating a profit, why aren't you upset about the owner of RonPaulForums.com getting ad revenue? and what about all the other Ron Paul websites like Daily Paul who are also monetizing their sites?

The difference is that Ron Paul WANTS RonPaul.com and it is his name, not 'forums' or any off shoot, and that is typically what people would put in to get a person's web site. Media mistook it for Ron'sthroughout the campaign.

However, the RonPaul.com one is a business he built up, and while I'd like Ron to be able to buy it, maybe and hire the guy, that is for them to discuss. RonPaul.ORG is a business RON built up, and as a supporter, I can't imagine someone calling themselves a supporter keeping that when Ron wants it, when it just briefly lapsed due to some employee not registering it properly. Ron has had that site for years. A total stranger, out for a buck, I could understand. But I don't see a supporter keeping that. That is just my opinion.

MelissaCato
01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
I think Ron Paul should just hire the guy who has all the websites and convince the owner to sell RonPaul.com to Ron Paul himself. He's doing a fabulous job and it's evident he's a die hard Ron Paul supporter. JMO.

newbitech
01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
honestly, what is Ron Paul gonna do with it? Besides the fact that his name is public domain, he's not the only person with that name. The old adage, "is your name written on it" simply doesn't apply to internet domain names.

The fact that Ron Paul's name is resolving to an IP address controlled by an activist, and a very perceptive and motivated activist should make everyone happy. But I will also point out that Rom Paul's name resolves to many other IP addresses.

As was mentioned, Ron Paul Forums and Daily Paul are two of them. There is also Ron Paul FLix, Ron Paul facebook, Ron Paul twitter...etc etc.

What SHOULD be mutually important to everyone is that the IDEA is carried forward.

Lets face it, Ron Paul was a "nobody" before his name became popular on the internet. It was net savvy people like the owner of RonPaul.com and other RonPaul websites that created what I will call the Ron Paul world wide web.

His ideas were something tho. Somehow he was able to break through, again with the help of the Ron Paul Web and remind us all about this idea that we share. I know when i started reading about things Ron Paul had done in congress, things he was saying, that amazing truth started to bubble out from inside my core being.

Ron Paul isn't going to do anything special with that domain name. He wants it cause one of his family members asked him for control of it. That's what I believe.

I'd tell em no unless they gave me a really compelling reason to hand it over.

ESPECIALLY SINCE HE ALREADY LOST CONTROL OF IT ONCE. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
honestly, what is Ron Paul gonna do with it? Besides the fact that his name is public domain, he's not the only person with that name. The old adage, "is your name written on it" simply doesn't apply to internet domain names.

The fact that Ron Paul's name is resolving to an IP address controlled by an activist, and a very perceptive and motivated activist should make everyone happy. But I will also point out that Rom Paul's name resolves to many other IP addresses.

As was mentioned, Ron Paul Forums and Daily Paul are two of them. There is also Ron Paul FLix, Ron Paul facebook, Ron Paul twitter...etc etc.

What SHOULD be mutually important to everyone is that the IDEA is carried forward.

Lets face it, Ron Paul was a "nobody" before his name became popular on the internet. It was net savvy people like the owner of RonPaul.com and other RonPaul websites that created what I will call the Ron Paul world wide web.

His ideas were something tho. Somehow he was able to break through, again with the help of the Ron Paul Web and remind us all about this idea that we share. I know when i started reading about things Ron Paul had done in congress, things he was saying, that amazing truth started to bubble out from inside my core being.

Ron Paul isn't going to do anything special with that domain name. He wants it cause one of his family members asked him for control of it. That's what I believe.

I'd tell em no unless they gave me a really compelling reason to hand it over.

ESPECIALLY SINCE HE ALREADY LOST CONTROL OF IT ONCE. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!

It is still a business he built and he is planning net programming, and needs it for his home page. I think a supporter should give him the .org one. I feel less strongly about .com because it is the guy's business, but .org was Ron's business. I think Ron did build his name, you couldn't make him viral without him being him. Try it with Mel Watt.

newbitech
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
It is still a business he built and he is planning net programming, and needs it for his home page. I think a supporter should give him the .org one. I feel less strongly about .com because it is the guy's business, but .org was Ron's business. I think Ron did build his name, you couldn't make him viral without him being him. Try it with Mel Watt.

he doesn't "need" it to build up. I can guarantee you that if he registered dopefiddlywhackawoobershotliopleg.com that he'd get just as much traffic as he would with RonPaul.com

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 08:54 PM
he doesn't "need" it to build up. I can guarantee you that if he registered dopefiddlywhackawoobershotliopleg.com that he'd get just as much traffic as he would with RonPaul.com

media regularly said ronpaul.com was his web page in discussing him, driving traffic there, and more importantly NOT driving it to his actual web page. However, I think we can just agree to disagree on this one. I think Ron should have at least the .org one, and don't understand a hard core supporter not feeling that way.

TNforPaul45
01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
You know i hate to bring this up, and Ron Paul is the last person to use the state to gain, but there are Cybersquatting Laws that prevent someone from "squatting" on a cyber domain that has the same name as a private and popular citizen. Ron could bump him under Cybersquatting if he wanted.

Qdog
01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I dont get why so much of the staff is incompetent/ uninspired. When I went to Iowa to help with the caucuses with Gage, I was at their headquarters to get assignments and such to help out. Out of the interactions that I had with the lower level staff, most were hard working, and acted like the future of the nation depended on their efforts that day. But there was a pretty large minority that acted like they would rather be anywhere else in the world than there. In fact there were even some that almost appeared to be trying to make it MORE difficult for volunteers to help!

I was pretty upset about this at the time, because they were so many of us busting our asses for no pay, because we believed in something, and then there were people like this "milking the clock". This is a sign of failure of the management of the campaign.

Qdog
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah, I was also pissed because at the after party, where we all gathered to hear the results, there was a long haired hippy looking dude who told me he didn't vote, because he didn;t want to miss the party! My head pretty much exploded when he told me that. Somehow I managed to turn around and walk away without saying anything though.

fr33
01-10-2013, 09:39 PM

The cybersquatting laws say all of those sites you listed are liable to legal action if he chose to. Some businesses/people go after all of those but most only go after thename.com.

newbitech
01-10-2013, 09:50 PM
The cybersquatting laws say all of those sites you listed are liable to legal action if he chose to. Some businesses/people go after all of those but most only go after thename.com.

you probably don't want to be quoted on this. I am no lawyer, but I have been part of an IP suit for trademark infringement with internet domain names at the core. It's not exactly the same, but the burden of proof is gonna be hard to overcome in this case for ANYONE named Ron Paul, much less the congressman.

Ron Paul is already on record that he is not likely to effect change through the courts.

Here is a homework assignment. What was Ron Paul's vote on this law? Get me that answer, and I won't ask you to build a cyber-squatting case :D

angelatc
01-10-2013, 09:57 PM

HOw the hell did they manage to lose the .org?

Seriously, I have very little sympathy for the organization at this point if they accidentally allowed it to expire. I have a couple of domains that I wanted to let expire, and I got an insane amount of emails to remind me. They should be embarrassed to admit they lost it.

fr33
01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
you probably don't want to be quoted on this. I am no lawyer, but I have been part of an IP suit for trademark infringement with internet domain names at the core. It's not exactly the same, but the burden of proof is gonna be hard to overcome in this case for ANYONE named Ron Paul, much less the congressman.

Ron Paul is already on record that he is not likely to effect change through the courts.

Here is a homework assignment. What was Ron Paul's vote on this law? Get me that answer, and I won't ask you to build a cyber-squatting case :DI've been on the other end. I squatted a domain that was the name of a famous artist who was deceased. (thename.com) I was threatened to be sued for not only the domain but for all revenue I might have made from the domain, AND any damages that could be determined to have been made to the name brand. Scare tactics for sure but I have no doubt this would be a slam dunk case. Of course I'm not defending these laws. Of course Ron Paul won't do this or vote for this. I'm just saying it's a slam dunk case for anyone else that wanted to pursue it. Surely they could reach a deal.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 10:00 PM

Seriously, I have very little sympathy for the organization at this point if they accidentally allowed it to expire. I have a couple of domains that I wanted to let expire, and I got an insane amount of emails to remind me. They should be embarrassed to admit they lost it.

I doubt RON had any idea. I'm thinking someone thinking 'he'll be retired' thought it would be just fine.

See my suggestion we chip in for a singing messenger to take him a letter and resumes of competent people.

angelatc
01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
You know i hate to bring this up, and Ron Paul is the last person to use the state to gain, but there are Cybersquatting Laws that prevent someone from "squatting" on a cyber domain that has the same name as a private and popular citizen. Ron could bump him under Cybersquatting if he wanted.

Again, I'm not sure if he could, because the name originally belonged to another Ron Paul, who sold it. At an auction, even. So unless you believe that the other Ron Paul had no right to sell his property to anybody who wanted it, then the case isn't a typical cybersquatting slam-dunk.

sailingaway
01-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Again, I'm not sure if he could, because the name originally belonged to another Ron Paul, who sold it. At an auction, even. So unless you believe that the other Ron Paul had no right to sell his property to anybody who wanted it, then the case isn't a typical cybersquatting slam-dunk.

that wouldn't apply to the .org though.

But I don't think Ron is interested in taking that tack. But seriously, for RON PAUL to have 'Ron Paul's homepage' or some such....

I like 'RonPaulFever.com' Or Kathy's idea of RonPaulXXXXXXXRocks.com better. but I don't see him using either. Actually, I just thought of one I like better. Hm. Homepage is terminally lame, though.

angelatc
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I've been on the other end. I squatted a domain that was the name of a famous artist who was deceased. (thename.com) I was threatened to be sued for not only the domain but for all revenue I might have made from the domain, AND any damages that could be determined to have been made to the name brand. Scare tactics for sure but I have no doubt this would be a slam dunk case. Of course I'm not defending these laws. Of course Ron Paul won't do this or vote for this. I'm just saying it's a slam dunk case for anyone else that wanted to pursue it. Surely they could reach a deal.

ANd where did you get the domain? Did the deceased artist sell it to you, or did someone with the same name as the deceased artist sell it to you? If not, your case is much different than this.

angelatc
01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
that wouldn't apply to the .org though.

But I don't think Ron is interested in taking that tack. But seriously, for RON PAUL to have 'Ron Paul's homepage' or some such....

I like 'RonPaulFever.com' Or Kathy's idea of RonPaulFuckingRocks.com better. but I don't see him using either. Actually, I just thought of one I like better. Hm. Homepage is terminally lame, though.

No the .org is different. I really don't care that much, but ROn Paul spent 30 years in Washington DC. If he hasn't figured how to make a deal after all that time, then that's his problem. In the meantime, we should consider ourselves lucky that RonPaul.org isn't now pointing to The Blaze.

Ron's better off sticking to Facebook.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-10-2013, 10:12 PM
ronpaulmd.com
ronaldpaul.com
ronepaul.com
officialronpaul.com
genuineronpaul.com
ronlibertypaul.com
ronfreedompaul.com

are available

angelatc
01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Looking at the Way Back Machine, the Campaign For Liberty seems awfully suspect in the .org debacle.

jmdrake
01-11-2013, 05:14 AM
I understand your suggestion but I think Ron is better off owning what he builds just as I wouldn't want to build a house on someone else's land to get lawn service from the property owner.

No. You don't understand my suggestion. Ron would still own the content. And he won't "own" the domain name anyway nor will he "own" the web space unless he sets up his own web farm (he'll get far to many hits to handle his own needs with a single server) and even then he won't "own" the bandwidth, but he'll be leasing it from someone else. Ron could easily enter into a 99 year lease with the owner (really "current leaser") of RonPaul.com and be totally protected. He would be better off because the current leaser of RonPaul.com has shown himself more responsible for keeping websites up then the people Ron has hired directly.

jmdrake
01-11-2013, 05:21 AM

Yep. All this "The owner of ronpaul.com should give it - sell it - before forced out of it" talk is emotional garbeldegook. The Mises way is for Ron Paul to offer to lease it from the current owner under terms that Ron Paul control and own the content, the current owner (leaser really) is responsible to make sure it never expires and works for Ron Paul as a webmaster and internet consultant. That last part isn't even the most essential. The terms of the lease should allow Ron Paul to pick a new webmaster if he really wants to. Just having someone on board who makes sure savvy about grabbing and protecting domain names is important enough.

Edit: And I just noticed that while Ron Paul has secured "ronpaulshomepage.com", he has not secured "ronpaulhomepage.com" (without the "s"). How much you want to bet that at least half the people who listen to Ron Paul say "Go to ronpaulshomepage.com for more information" will leave out the "s" and end up at who knows where?

TruckinMike
01-11-2013, 08:07 AM
The honorable thing to do is...

Offer $50,000. The guy has put a lot of work into that site - and should be compensated to at least some degree. Yes, I know Ron Paul built the name value, but the site owner answered the door when opportunity knocked. I only hope he is enough of a real supporter to sell it to the grassroots.

I'm in for $100 -- all we need is 499 other grassroots patriots to stand up with a matching offer. I bet the guy would take $50,000 - especially now that the campaign is over. It would be a win-win for we in the grassroots, Ron Paul, the site owner, and freedom.

TMike

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2013, 09:44 AM
If RP wanted too he could sue for all of those domains and win. People do it all the time.

That is 100% wrong. I don't know how else to say it.

Good point. Then he'd have a better case but it's not likely is it? I don't agree with the laws on this but I'm just saying this type of stuff is common.

No, it's not.

And for those of you saying he should offer it to sale to Ron Paul, that would only make it easier to steal from the owner.

http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1291&context=chtlj

LibertyEagle
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM

Yup. I agree. Pretty sad indeed.

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Yep. All this "The owner of ronpaul.com should give it - sell it - before forced out of it" talk is emotional garbeldegook. The Mises way is for Ron Paul to offer to lease it from the current owner under terms that Ron Paul control and own the content, the current owner (leaser really) is responsible to make sure it never expires and works for Ron Paul as a webmaster and internet consultant. That last part isn't even the most essential. The terms of the lease should allow Ron Paul to pick a new webmaster if he really wants to. Just having someone on board who makes sure savvy about grabbing and protecting domain names is important enough.

Edit: And I just noticed that while Ron Paul has secured "ronpaulshomepage.com", he has not secured "ronpaulhomepage.com" (without the "s"). How much you want to bet that at least half the people who listen to Ron Paul say "Go to ronpaulshomepage.com for more information" will leave out the "s" and end up at who knows where?

Lease is your own idea. Nothing about the mises way says anything about lease vs sale.

I think Ron should offer to buy .com, if the owner doesn't want to sell, he doesn't, but I think .org lapsed only because of some flunky not thinking he needed it, or not paying attention, and that Ron himself never decided to let it lapse. If a friend of mine lost a site that way and I picked it up, I'd be calling them to get it back to them. It is the picking up what he unintentionally dropped and being a SUPPORTER that would get me, if that isn't what he plans to do to begin with.

Rather than lease, I'd get a different site altogether. There are available options better than 'homepage', though.

V3n
01-11-2013, 12:11 PM
...and this is what happens when you let your domain name lapse: http://senatorfeinstein.com/

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
...and this is what happens when you let your domain name lapse: http://senatorfeinstein.com/

yeah, but that clearly wasn't by a supporter....

That was activism.

opal
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
This isn't Ron's fault in anyway, I mean come on how could a 77 year old understand technology that well?

I'm absolutely sure that age has nothing to do with it.. other things keeping him busy do. My dad is in his 80's and gets this tech.. the man uses Linux - installed it himself.. it's really not an age thing.

In lieu of RonPaul.com I thought of Ron-I-Should-Have-Been-President.Paul.com hehe
or more practically any of the other endings other than .com
.net
.info
.whatever else might be available

V3n
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
yeah, but that clearly wasn't by a supporter....

That was activism.

Right. But it highlights what can happen. Which is why we should be glad a Supporter grabbed ronpaul.com, and not an activist.
Even if he never sells, I've never met an ex-Ron-Paul supporter.
I do wish they could work something mutually beneficial out, though.

(it also looks like this particular site may not be 'lapsed', it's just one that was never bought previously - which is also a big difference, being that if it never existed previously, it wouldn't be scored in SEO)

qh4dotcom
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
over the past few years we acquired various domain names that were either passed up or allowed to expire by Ron Paul’s staff (including RonPaul.com, RonPaul2008.com, RonPaul2010.com, RonPaul.net, RonPaul.org, RonPaul.info and several others) to make sure they would not fall into enemy hands.

Holy s*** the campaign staff is even more incompetent than I thought...they let just about everything expire...looks like they are not aware of the concept of domain registration renewals....looks like once they get their hands on a domain, they think they own it forever and act like it doesn't have an expiration date.

Looks like that is going to be the fate of RonPaul2012.com since it is expiring on March 23, 2013

sailingaway
01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Holy s*** the campaign staff is even more incompetent than I thought...they let just about everything expire...looks like they are not aware of the concept of domain registration renewals....looks like once they get their hands on a domain, they think they own it forever and act like it doesn't have an expiration date.

Looks like that is going to be the fate of RonPaul2012.com since it is expiring on March 23, 2013

Ron needs help.

So are people sending resumes?

Let it not be said we did nothing.... :p

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Right. But it highlights what can happen. Which is why we should be glad a Supporter grabbed ronpaul.com, and not an activist.
Even if he never sells, I've never met an ex-Ron-Paul supporter.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

How many of Ron Paul's enemies wish they had dropped 25k on that name?

fr33
01-11-2013, 11:39 PM
That is 100% wrong. I don't know how else to say it.
No. It's not. It happens all the time under the anticybersquatting laws. I've not only been involved in it, I know others who have been affected by it. It wouldn't even matter if the original registrar was named Ron Paul after the domain spent several years displaying info about one certain Ron Paul.

parocks
01-12-2013, 09:27 AM

You can renew it for 10 years can't you?

sailingaway
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
You can renew it for 10 years can't you?

so I now know... I have learned all sorts of things in these discussions...