PDA

View Full Version : The RACIST roots of GUN CONTROL

nobody's_hero
01-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Very good article.

http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/cramer.racism.html

The Racist Roots of Gun Control
Copyright 1993 Clayton E. Cramer All Rights Reserved. Electronic redistribution is permitted as long as no alterations are made to the text and this notice appears at the beginning. Print reproduction or for profit use is not authorized without permission from the author.

I just picked a random excerpt because the whole damn thing is very informative and I couldn't decide what was the most awesome:

It is one of the great ironies that, in much the same way that the North Carolina Supreme Court recognized a right to bear arms in 1843 -- then a year later declared that free blacks were not included -- the Georgia Supreme Court did likewise before the 1840s were out. The Georgia Supreme Court found in Nunn v. State (1846) that a statute prohibiting the sale of concealable handguns, sword-canes, and daggers violated the Second Amendment:

The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, and not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree; and all of this for the important end to be attained: the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia, so vitally necessary to the security of a free State. Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers, trampled under foot by Charles I. and his two wicked sons and successors, reestablished by the revolution of 1688, conveyed to this land of liberty by the colonists, and finally incorporated conspicuously in our own Magna Charta! And Lexington, Concord, Camden, River Raisin, Sandusky, and the laurel-crowned field of New Orleans, plead eloquently for this interpretation! [20]

Finally, after this paean to liberty -- in a state where much of the population remained enslaved, forbidden by law to possess arms of any sort -- the Court defined the valid limits of laws restricting the bearing of arms:

We are of the opinion, then, that so far as the act of 1837 seeks to suppress the practice of carrying certain weapons secretly, that it is valid, inasmuch as it does not deprive the citizen of his natural right of self- defence, or of his constitutional right to keep and bear arms. But that so much of it, as contains a prohibition against bearing arms openly, is in conflict with the Constitution, and void... [21]

"Citizen"? Within a single page, the Court had gone from "right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys" to the much more narrowly restrictive right of a "citizen." The motivation for this sudden narrowing of the right appeared two years later.

The decision Cooper and Worsham v. Savannah (1848) was not, principally, a right to keep and bear arms case. In 1839, the city of Savannah, Georgia, in an admitted effort "to prevent the increase of free persons of color in our city," had established a $100 per year tax on free blacks moving into Savannah from other parts of Georgia. Samuel Cooper and Hamilton Worsham, two "free persons of color," were convicted of failing to pay the tax, and were jailed. [22] On appeal, counsel for Cooper and Worsham argued that the ordinance establishing the tax was deficient in a number of technical areas; the assertion of most interest to us is, "In Georgia, free persons of color have constitutional rights..." Cooper and Worsham's counsel argued that these rights included writ of habeas corpus, right to own real estate, to be "subject to taxation," "[t]hey may sue and be sued," and cited a number of precedents under Georgia law in defense of their position. [23]

Justice Warner delivered the Court's opinion, most of which is irrelevant to the right to keep and bear arms, but one portion shows the fundamental relationship between citizenship, arms, and elections, and why gun control laws were an essential part of defining blacks as "non-citizens": "Free persons of color have never been recognized here as citizens; they are not entitled to bear arms, vote for members of the legislature, or to hold any civil office." [24] The Georgia Supreme Court did agree that the ordinance jailing Cooper and Worsham for non-payment was illegal, and ordered their release, but the comments of the Court made it clear that their brave words in Nunn v. State (1846) about "the right of the people," really only meant white people.

While settled parts of the South were in great fear of armed blacks, on the frontier, the concerns about Indian attack often forced relaxation of these rules. The 1798 Kentucky Comprehensive Act allowed slaves and free blacks on frontier plantations "to keep and use guns, powder, shot, and weapons, offensive and defensive." Unlike whites, however, a license [my note: So that's where they came from] was required for free blacks or slaves to carry weapons. [25]

The need for blacks to carry arms for self-defense included not only the problem of Indian attack, and the normal criminal attacks that anyone might worry about, but he additional hazard that free blacks were in danger of being kidnapped and sold into slavery. [26] A number of states, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin, passed laws specifically to prohibit kidnapping of free blacks, out of concern that the federal Fugitive Slave Laws would be used as cover for re-enslavement. [27]

The rest is at the link above.

Updated with video segment from Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaX3EM-fsc8

PDF reader required: Another article on Gun Control and Racism:

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/racist-roots-of-ga-gun-laws.pdf

kathy88
01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm going to give that whole thing a good read when I turn in for the night. Thanks for posting!

Lucille
01-09-2013, 05:43 PM
It was pretty great when Thomas cited the racist roots of gun control in McDonald v. Chicago. Yet, the progs still don't get it (http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/09/django-unchained-and-the-latest-liberal). Frankly, I think progs are just scared of armed black men.

That focus on black history even earned Thomas a rare compliment from liberal Washington Post columnist Courtland Milloy, who marveled, “His advocacy for black self-defense is straight from the heart of Malcolm X,” while likening the opinion to "a mix of black history lesson and Black Panther Party manifesto." Milloy’s sentiment was accurate, though he should have reached further back for the comparison. Thomas’ advocacy for black self-defense came straight from the heart of Frederick Douglass, whose writings Thomas repeatedly cited in the McDonald opinion. “The liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box,” Douglass once wrote. “Without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.”

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Progs are scared of everything they can't put a safety harness and warning label on. Right now there's probably one railing in the House about the need for more bicycle pads. I can't wait to read this entire article. Great find!

nobody's_hero
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Oh here you go, AntiFederalist (whenever he wanders in):

It is not surprising that the first North American English colonies, then the states of the new republic, remained in dread fear of armed blacks, for slave revolts against slave owners often degenerated into less selective forms of racial warfare. The perception that free blacks were sympathetic to the plight of their enslaved brothers, and the dangerous example that "a Negro could be free" also caused the slave states to pass laws designed to disarm all blacks, both slave and free. Unlike the gun control laws passed after the Civil War, these antebellum statutes were for blacks alone. In Maryland, these prohibitions went so far as to prohibit free blacks from owning dogs without a license, and authorizing any white to kill an unlicensed dog owned by a free black, for fear that blacks would use dogs as weapons. Mississippi went further, and prohibited any ownership of a dog by a black person.

So that's where THAT came from.

Fuckin history repeating itself.

"If there is anything history has shown us, it is that we do not learn from our history." – Ron Paul

kathy88
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Progs are scared of everything they can't put a safety harness and warning label on. Right now there's probably one railing in the House about the need for more bicycle pads. I can't wait to read this entire article. Great find!

I had the kids out riding a public trail through the bottom of a canyon this summer and some lady asked me, "why aren't your kids wearing helmets?" I told her, "because helmet laws are for fucking retards."

Danke
01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I had the kids out riding a public trail through the bottom of a canyon this summer and some lady asked me, "why aren't your kids wearing helmets?" I told her, "because helmet laws are for fucking retards."

Why did you edit out, "...Now mind your own fucking business, BEETCH!"

Aratus
01-09-2013, 10:32 PM
excellent OP

Anti Federalist
01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Oh here you go, AntiFederalist (whenever he wanders in):

So that's where THAT came from.

Fuckin history repeating itself.

"If there is anything history has shown us, it is that we do not learn from our history." – Ron Paul

Thanks for posting that, it should be common knowledge to everybody.

I owe ya a rep.

phill4paul
01-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for posting that, it shoudl be common knowledge to everybody.

I owe ya a rep.

Covered and subscribed so I can read tomorrow.

John F Kennedy III
01-09-2013, 10:41 PM
/////

John F Kennedy III
01-09-2013, 10:41 PM

Why are you so interested in MY kids lady? Are you a pedophile?

jmdrake
01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for posting! +rep and subscribed.

nobody's_hero
01-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Updated original post with videos, another article.

Hoping to compile a list of resources to use to fight gun-grabber arguments.

Origanalist
01-13-2013, 09:21 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kathy88 again.

:eek: :p :D

Origanalist
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Why are you so interested in MY kids lady? Are you a pedophile?

That works as well.