PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul fan Kelly Clarkson to perform for Obama’s inauguration ceremony

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/ron-paul-fan-kelly-clarkson-to-perform-for-obamas-inauguration-ceremony/article/2518015#.UO3Tz-SZ_z8

Machiavelli
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
LOL

Deborah K
01-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Clarkson has proven herself a coward.

sam1952
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
This really shouldn't matter to me but it made me sick to read this....

Acala
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Peer pressure is brutal. Maybe she will come around again some day. She's young.

Deborah K
01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Peer pressure is brutal. Maybe she will come around again some day. She's young.

She's 30 years old. Old enough to muster up the courage to stand up for what you believe.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
She's an entertainer, it is an opportunity for exposure. I don't blame her for it. She voted for Obama, rather than Romney she said. I think her convictions may not be as absolute as with some of us.

cajuncocoa
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
She's an entertainer, it is an opportunity for exposure. I don't blame her for it. She voted for Obama, rather than Romney she said. I think her convictions may not be as absolute as with some of us.yeah, I think you nailed it on all accounts. I don't think anyone should fault her for that.

jmdrake
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I have friends who liked Ron Paul but ultimately voted for Obama and at least one I know that ultimately voted for Romney. Some people like Ron Paul because he's "honest" and has "good ideas". Not everyone who likes Ron Paul does so because they believe our country is going to hell in a handbasket and most politicians other than Ron Paul are leading the way.

kathy88
01-09-2013, 03:21 PM
All she ever said was that she liked Ron. But that's all we needed to hear, right? lol

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
All she ever said was that she liked Ron. But that's all we needed to hear, right? lol

She said she 'really' liked him.... :p

Deborah K
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
She's an entertainer, it is an opportunity for exposure. I don't blame her for it. She voted for Obama, rather than Romney she said. I think her convictions may not be as absolute as with some of us.

I just don't see it this way. She got an outpouring of support from us over it. I was even one of the dupes who bought her CD (which I never would have done otherwise). She's pretty much thumbed her nose at her own supposed political persuasion - for what? To bolster her career? Okay, but how will she feel years from now, about her decision to choose someone who diametrically opposes everything Dr. Paul stands for? She doesn't get a pass from me.

Deborah K
01-09-2013, 03:26 PM

“I love Ron Paul,” Clarkson wrote on Twitter in December 2011. “I liked him a lot during the last Republican nomination and no one gave him a chance. If he wins the nomination for the Republican party in 2012 he’s got my vote. Too bad he probably won’t.”

and then later, she did a whimpy retraction of sorts.

Mr.NoSmile
There's a difference between being a fan and just randomly tweeting about a person. If Clarkson had multiple posts about the man on a daily basis, then I'd get the use of the word fan. But she's said many times that it wasn't an endorsement. Done.

sailingaway
I just don't think she had ever thought it through and 'bought in' at that level, I think she thought Ron sounded good, said great things that needed to be said, but wasn't particularly paying attention more than most in Hollywood, to be honest. I don't think she expected anything like the level of abuse she got for tweeting that she liked him.

I don't consider her an activist.

Deborah K
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Perhaps I'm taking it too personally because I wasted money on her freaking CD. LOL. :p:D

July
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
She was still brave for saying what she said publicly, IMO.

She's a pop artist....I imagine the pressure to publicly support the politically correct establishment issues and candidates is brutal for a pop star. Remember what Julie Borowski said about libertariansim not being more popular with women because it isnt popular enough in pop culture? Yeah.

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Perhaps I'm taking it too personally because I wasted money on her freaking CD. LOL. :p:D

LOL!

Ron did get a headline or two out of it...

jmdrake
01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
“I love Ron Paul,” Clarkson wrote on Twitter in December 2011. “I liked him a lot during the last Republican nomination and no one gave him a chance. If he wins the nomination for the Republican party in 2012 he’s got my vote. Too bad he probably won’t.”

and then later, she did a whimpy retraction of sorts.

A few weeks ago I started talking again to a good friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in years. During the conversation I brought up that I had volunteered for Ron Paul. She basically said the exact same thing you quoted Kelly as saying. And she has no CDs to sell. ;) Really, I sometimes wonder what would have happened if the campaign had embraced the idea of trying to get democrats to cross over since the democratic race was already decided. :(

Romulus
01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
He she helped give RP a new look from her fans that might not have look at him.

But yeah, she follows the money. Its what most entertainers do.

TheGrinch
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Meh, just like most of us before Dr. Paul cured our apathy, it's either don't vote, don't care or "lesser of two evils". Just because we're over that doesn't mean you have to think she's a sellout for accepting the offer to sing at an Obama event.

RonRocks
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
I think many of us have to realize that the masses out there aren't knee deep in this world like we are. Most people's beliefs are shallow and they look at politics as a sort of intellectual sport (even though most politicians are f'n morons) that comes around every 4 years. We are in this world continuously, while most people will roll their eyes if you talk about politics year round.

Kelly Clarkson is one of those people, her beliefs are shallow, so you can expect her to say stuff like ' I like Ron Paul because he's against the wars' while identifying as a liberal, because the NeoCons have made the Republican platform toxic for anyone that is anti-war. I'll give her a pass on this, her intentions are good but her knowledge on the topic as a whole is lacking.. just like most in the country.

Romulus
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Obama did it to spite us.

satchelmcqueen
01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
too bad she has no substance in her. paul could have spoken at the convention if he allowed romney to edit his speech....he refused and didnt speak. clarkson doesnt need the money or the exposure. she should say no on principle. ron would.

Spikender
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm not going to bash anyone who fell for Clarkson's comment about Ron Paul, but I will say that she probably knows jack about politics and was just speaking out of her ass. I doubt she really understands what Paul stood for. Hell, she probably doesn't really understand what Obama stands for either, and she voted for him.

libertariantexas
01-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Some of you folks need to remember that not everyone who supported Ron Paul was a zealot who lived and breathed Ron Paul 24-7.

Clarkson said she liked Ron Paul. She may have voted for him had he been nominated.

But she clearly isn't a zealot- when Ron lost the nomination, she voted for someone else (Obama?) and took a high profile gig.

That doesn't make her a traitor or evil, it just means she has a life other than "Ron Paul."

parocks
01-12-2013, 06:22 PM

right.

We spin it and push it to make it seem like she loves us. We didn't seem to try to utilize her in any way. She might be responding to money here.

eleganz
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Yea but when her fans turned on her for supporting a *GASP* Republican, she didn't cave to their pressure.

Some of you guys make her out to be a complete soul less bitch who can't think for herself. She said she liked him even from 08. I wonder how many in Hollywood felt the same but wouldn't come out about it.

Oliver Stone would've voted RP over Obama too.

sailingaway
01-12-2013, 06:34 PM
I think she's great. This is what she does for a living folks. This is a big gig for her career, not an endorsement, and the campaign is over. Congratulations, Kelly.

Anti-Neocon
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I think she's great. This is what she does for a living folks. This is a big gig for her career, not an endorsement, and the campaign is over. Congratulations, Kelly.
Exactly, I don't know what the fuss is about.

I'd sing at an Obama event too, if anyone wanted to actually hear my voice.