PDA

View Full Version : Huelskamp claims he is at "great risk", warns the GOP will "attack his family"

compromise
01-09-2013, 03:36 AM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/gop-rep-worries-fellow-republicans-will-punish-him-attack-his-family-for-voting-against-boehner/

Representative Tim Huelskamp (R-KN) voted against John Boehner for Speaker of the House last week and is worried that he might now have a target on his back. Huelskamp sent an email to his supporters Monday telling them that voting against the Speaker was a “great risk” and he fears the GOP will “punish” him and “attack” his family.

In the email, Huelskamp stands by his decision to vote against Boehner and says, “America is too important to be lost to overspending, high taxes, and big government.” According to the Congressman, our country will be “destroyed” under another term for Speaker Boehner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/tim-huelskamp-fundraises-_n_2431440.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) blasted out a fundraising email to supporters on Monday, telling them that he was effectively a wanted man following his vote last week against Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) for speaker of the House.

"But voting against a sitting Speaker of the House was a great risk. They will punish me. They will attack my family. But America is too important to be lost to overspending, high taxes, and big government. I refuse to stand by and allow our country to be destroyed," the email said, according to The Hill. “For my principled vote, Washington insiders are coming after me. I need your help and the help of 100 fellow conservatives immediately. If you are tired of Republicans who campaign as conservatives -- but vote like Democrats -- stand with me and make your contribution of $35 here.”

Huelskamp, an outspoken conservative known for bucking the establishment, has been a loud critic of Boehner, especially after being stripped of a key committee post in early December. He remains on the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs and was recently assigned to the Small Business Committee.

During the speaker vote last Thursday, Huelskamp became one of the most visible faces of the coup against Boehner when Politico posted a picture of his iPad showing that he and other conservative House Republicans had conspired to topple the speaker. Huelskamp cast a vote for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) as speaker, but Boehner was eventually reelected after the opposing coalition reportedly fell apart.

While Huelskamp appears convinced that GOP leaders will be seeking retribution for his stand against them, Boehner met with House Republicans late last week and promised that he wasn't out for blood.

“I don’t hold grudges, and my door is always open to you,” the newly reelected speaker told defectors, according to Roll Call.

phill4paul
01-09-2013, 09:42 AM
//

itshappening
01-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I think we need to support him, what he did was ballsy.

CaptUSA
01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't go on any skiing trips or take any small aircraft for awhile...

compromise
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
I think we need to support him, what he did was ballsy.

Agreed, we should definitely support his 2014 re-election campaign.

Confederate
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
The title makes it seem like Boehner put out a hit on his children.

compromise
01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
The title makes it seem like Boehner put out a hit on his children.

The articles suggested that, and were directly quoting him. Huelskamp is probably exaggerating, but he clearly isn't popular with the GOP establishment who will be more than happy to dig up some dirt on him (which is what I think he means by "attack his family") and primary him out.

paulbot24
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
And Ron Paul says, "Welcome to the club." Sit down, stay a while.

jbauer
01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
And Ron Paul says, "Welcome to the club." Sit down, stay a while.

Well Rand made it so manybe they're just as good at keeping their "kill list" promise as they are at lowering spending?