PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Republican group to remove ‘Republican’ from name, welcome Democrats

Origanalist
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/PPFzyct6gTOpdHUMUYAABg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/theticket/120333548.jpg
Main Street Partnership President Steven LaTourette (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

The Republican Main Street Partnership, a Washington-based group that has promoted moderate GOP lawmakers and policies, will remove the word "Republican" from its title and welcome center-right Democrats in 2013, Yahoo News has learned.

The organization's board of directors voted Tuesday morning to scrap party identification from its title and be known simply as "The Main Street Partnership." The group's new president, former Ohio Republican Rep. Steven LaTourette, told Yahoo News that he plans to begin conversations with Blue Dog Democrats and centrist groups in the coming months.

"The goal is to try and fill the void that is the middle," LaTourette, who resigned from Congress this year, said. "The American political system is like a doughnut: You've got sides, but you don't have anything in the middle, and it would be my goal to work with Republicans and Democrats who want to find the path forward to getting things done and compromise."

In a statement released Tuesday afternoon, LaTourette added: “While we have changed our name, we have not changed our values or our mission. We will continue to be a right of center organization and continue to represent the governing wing of the Republican Party."

The Main Street Partnership will also expand its super PAC, Defending Main Street, to aid center-right members of both parties, LaTourette said, adding, "It's not going to be focused so much on party as it is on protecting people from the right and left extremes if they choose to do the right things."

In Congress, LaTourette was known to vote against party leadership: He opposed a measure that would strip federal funding of National Public Radio in 2011, and he was one of just two Republicans who did not support censuring Attorney General Eric Holder.

Current members of the Main Street organization include Republican Rep. Dave Camp of Michigan, chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, Republican Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee; and Republican Rep. Cathy McMorris-Rodgers of Washington, who was named chairman of the House Republican Conference in November.

This article has been updated.
.http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/moderate-republican-group-remove-republican-name-welcome-democrats-191019543--politics.html

sailingaway
01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
So, the McCain/Leiberman/Lindsay Graham sort?

Origanalist
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM

A quick read of the comments indicates a lot of support, from the left.

CaptLouAlbano
01-08-2013, 10:40 PM

McCain is part of the group. I did not see the other two on their list.

Here it is http://www.republicanmainstreet.org/members/

angelatc
01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Camp and Upton are not us. Not us at all.

CaptLouAlbano
01-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Basically the list there is a checklist of who to primary in 2014.

Origanalist
01-08-2013, 11:26 PM
+ rep, they did our research for us.

CaptLouAlbano
01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
+ rep, they did our research for us.

It's late and I am headed to bed, but I did a quick Googling of most of them and I think 80% of more are blue states. A lot of NJ and NY guys. It would be interesting to find the ones that are in safe GOP districts and take a run at them.

Spikender
01-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Basically the list there is a checklist of who to primary in 2014.

Heh, my thoughts exactly. Rep to you, sir.

Occam's Banana
01-09-2013, 02:46 AM
"The goal is to try and fill the void that is the middle," LaTourette, who resigned from Congress this year, said. "The American political system is like a doughnut: You've got sides, but you don't have anything in the middle, and it would be my goal to work with Republicans and Democrats who want to find the path forward to getting things done and compromise."

http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/51/1000x500px-LL-51f1a7ab_vomit-boy02-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000653-large.gif

compromise
01-09-2013, 03:39 AM
Chris Gibson is okay on civil liberties. The rest suck.

LibertyEagle
01-09-2013, 03:48 AM
"Moderate" is code-word for big government Republicans.

Confederate
01-09-2013, 06:58 AM
"Moderate" is code-word for big government Republicans.

Everything except "constitutionalist" is pretty much code-word for big government Republican.

jkr
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
may the party labels suffer a quick painful demise

CaptLouAlbano
01-09-2013, 07:58 AM
So I ran through the list of all the House members this morning, and did some analysis. There are 40 House members on that list. Ideally, we would like to see all of them replaced with liberty-minded candidates, but that isn't reality. What I have here is my analysis of who the best targets would be to go after, and my reasoning for my conclusions.

The first thing to note is that Hanna lost in 2012. So he is not considered obviously.

As their organization states, they are moderates, there is no arguing that. Their Freedomworks and JBS scorecards are for the most part pitiful. Most of them are in the 30's or below with Freedomworks, some as low as 20. JBS scores are in the 50's or so. There are a couple exceptions: Jenkins has a Freedomworks score of 80 and a JBS score of 70. So unless you have an Amash, Massie, Labrador, etc to primary her there is little to gain, so I am crossing her off the list. Lance is the other exception coming in at 69/60 - not great but I gave him a pass as well.

The majority are in safe GOP districts. There are however a handful that are not, and only won their seat in 2012 by less than 10 points. Those would be: Gibson, Grimm, Johnson, Reed, Renacci, Rigell, Runyan, and Terry. Having the seat in GOP control is important for two reasons, the first being numbers. Politics is a numbers game, and when it comes to party line votes for rules, procedural votes, etc you need the numbers. Another reason, is that given the fact that they are moderates winning in swing districts, the Dem who might potentially win the seat is probably going to be a lot worse. I only casually looked at some of these guy's opponents and that does hold true. So for that reason, I wouldn't challenge the seat - better safe than sorry.

The next thing I looked at is length of service. It is much harder to unseat a 10 term Congressman than a 2 term one. So in order to trim the list down to the most vulnerable I eliminated the veterans from consideration. So that leaves me with my best bets for 2014 off this list: Diaz-Balart, Fitzpatrick, Herrera-Beutler, Kinzinger, McKinley, Meehan, Paulsen, Schock, Simpson and Stivers. That's 10 seats of 40 that we could keep our eyes on, and see who might rise up to challenge these House members.

There are going to be a ton of races that the grassroots will be focusing on in 2014, we'll have our own up for reelection, as well as a bunch of new guys running for open seats. So when it comes to this list of moderates, I am trying to look for the least path of resistance, and the greatest chance of improvement. And keep in mind that for the most part, these guys and gals vote the opposite way on legislation to our guys about 60% of the time. Even replacing these folks with someone who will vote our way 60% of the time is going to be a huge improvement, so I am not one seeking perfection - simple moving the ball in our direction when it comes to these seats. Picking up a few more votes on key pieces of legislation is always a positive.

So if anyone has local info on these seats or possible challengers, please feel free to add the info here. Maybe we can use this to keep watch on the seats and see which ones we can improve in 2014, because as I see it, these folks represent the textbook definition of a RINO, and it is time to send them home.

angelatc
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
So if anyone has local info on these seats or possible challengers, please feel free to add the info here. Maybe we can use this to keep watch on the seats and see which ones we can improve in 2014, because as I see it, these folks represent the textbook definition of a RINO, and it is time to send them home.

It is still early, but Camp and Upton both voted for the cliff deal, and there's a lot of chatter about primary-ing them for that reason. Camp isn't very popular anyway. I don't pay attention to him, but I never hear his name mentioned in a positive light. (But of course, the Dems think he's ok for a Republican...) I heard a rumor that someone is gearing up to oppose him, but I'm not privvy to the name, and it's being kept rather quiet. (I saw it on a Facebook post, lest you think I'm speaking too much out of turn here.)

(I think it's pretty funny that we constantly talk about the benefits of allowing the Democrats into our movement, but are having a fit when the Neocons do the same thing.)

acptulsa
01-09-2013, 08:37 AM
(I think it's pretty funny that we constantly talk about the benefits of allowing the Democrats into our movement, but are having a fit when the Neocons do the same thing.)

There's the danger of party labels, and a fine example of how the powers that be use them to divide us and get what they want. You have Republicans and you have Republicans, by which I mean you have RINOs and you have us. There are also Democrats and there are Democrats. Some are perfectly happy to let the fedgov grow and the corruption to spread, and others are fervently anti-corporatist and will actually shrink their beloved Central Government if they find it too corporatist and corrupt.

In short, there are corporatists and anti-corporatists, and if the anti-corporatists allow themselves to exclude people just because they once had a capital this or a capital that next to their name, the corporatists (who are more pragmatic than that) will spank us.

CaptLouAlbano
01-09-2013, 08:37 AM
It is still early, but Camp and Upton both voted for the cliff deal, and there's a lot of chatter about primary-ing them for that reason. Camp isn't very popular anyway. I don't pay attention to him, but I never hear his name mentioned in a positive light. (But of course, the Dems think he's ok for a Republican...) I heard a rumor that someone is gearing up to oppose him, but I'm not privvy to the name, and it's being kept rather quiet. (I saw it on a Facebook post, lest you think I'm speaking too much out of turn here.)

Camp would be a good one to oust since he chairs Ways & Means and the Joint Committee on Taxation. He wins in the general pretty big though. When was the last time he faced a primary challenger?

And just keep in mind that my analysis is all based on what I see on paper, that is why it is good to get some "on the ground" input about specific candidates.

itshappening
01-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Camp and Upton are not us. Not us at all.

Believe me, Camp/Upton will want to get rid of Amash and Bentivolio and have a lot of influence in the MI GOP.

CaptLouAlbano
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Believe me, Camp/Upton will want to get rid of Amash and Bentivolio and have a lot of influence in the MI GOP.

Are there any potential viable challengers? State legislators maybe?