I wanto go there and do that someday.

Dystopian
01-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Nice Yamaka Rand

juleswin
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice Yamaka Rand!!!!!!

I never knew you were Jewish.

You are kidding right? I have several Kippahs and I am not even Jewish. Its just something they give you for attending Bat mitzvahs :)

Dystopian
01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
You are kidding right? I have several Kippahs and I am not even Jewish. Its just something they give you for attending Bat mitzvahs :)

Would you wear a turban if an Arab asked you to?

SpreadOfLiberty
01-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Christian-Judeo traditions transcend each other. That wouldn't apply with Islam.

juleswin
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM

maybe, if whoever is doing the asking was a good friend and doing it would make him/her happy, I will wear a turban. But muslim generally do not ask non Muslims to wear turbans unlike jews and their kippah.

juleswin
01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Christian-Judeo traditions transcend each other. That wouldn't apply with Islam.

Seeing as am an atheist, I could still seeing myself wearing it for a friend. In fact even at my most religious point in life, I could still see myself wearing it for a friend.

specsaregood
01-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Besides that, I've heard it is actually required at the wall. This link says the same thing:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6121753_dress-properly-wailing-wall-jerusalem.html

Men wishing to enter the prayer section of the wall are required to wear either a Jewish skull cap called a yamakah or kippah or a hat. Any hat will do as long as it fits the visitor's head and doesn't have overt decorations. If a male visitor does not have a hat, he may take a paper yamakah provided at the entrance to the prayer section of the wall. Males may also venture into a special prayer room exclusively set aside for Orthodox males who sometimes pray in the room for hours at a time.

juleswin
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Besides that, I've heard it is actually required at the wall. This link says the same thing:

Yup, its probably because the orthodox types run the show over there. Conservative and reform jews probably wouldn't have cared if you have a kippah or not

Danke
01-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don't remember having to wear any head cover. And I went to both the wall and one of the study/prayer rooms.

Dystopian
01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
This is the kind of shit that I hate seeing out of politicians. You know, if Rand Paul cared that much for Israel and really wanted to see the Wall for his own religious beliefs, then fine. I wouldn't begrudge him that. But, am I way off line to think that he's only doing this shit for political purposes? Because every politician thinks he has to make a pilgrimage to Israel to suck up to their leaders and prove that he's a friend of Israel before he can run for president in the United States.

Brett85
01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
This is the kind of shit that I hate seeing out of politicians. You know, if Rand Paul cared that much for Israel and really wanted to see the Wall for his own religious beliefs, then fine. I wouldn't begrudge him that. But, am I way off line to think that he's only doing this shit for political purposes? Because every politician thinks he has to make a pilgrimage to Israel to suck up to their leaders and prove that he's a friend of Israel before he can run for president in the United States.

He's visiting several other countries besides Israel. You always fail to mention that for some reason.

Brett85
01-08-2013, 10:44 PM
And Rand is "sucking up to Israel's leaders" by telling them that we should eventually end all foreign aid to Israel? Lol.

TheTyke
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM
You do realize that on the Foreign Affairs Committee or especially as president, even while avoiding entangling alliances, he'll need to "talk and trade with other countries" just as Ron Paul and the Founders advised, right? That's exactly what he's doing! And it's awesome.

Brett85
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM
You do realize that on the Foreign Affairs Committee or especially as president, even while avoiding entangling alliances, he'll need to "talk and trade with other countries" just as Ron Paul and the Founders advised, right? That's exactly what he's doing! And it's awesome.

Exactly. Ron Paul always talked about "traveling to other countries" and "having diplomacy with other countries." Apparently some people here believe in isolationism rather than non interventionism.

Spikender
01-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Well, at least I finally know it really was a yamaka and not bird shit like it looked in that picture in that other thread.

Occam's Banana
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM

*facepalm* Of all the things to bitch about ...

Let's just hope he never goes to Japan and bows to anyone. God only knows what that might mean. (It certainly couldn't be that he would simply be engaging in a very long & time-honored local custom. No, not at all.)

supermario21
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
The way I see things, Rand is a genius and making himself come off more presidential than anyone else. This might be the most successful foreign trip a first term senator has had in a long time, if not ever. Several points:

1) Rand is being very courageous, thoughtful, and practical with his policy. It's easy to sit in front of a computer or join a nationalist organization and say eliminate all foreign aid, or even be like Ron and give speeches to your biggest supporters and visit college campuses full of young people saying it, but to do it in Israel to major leaders of the government there? That takes guts. He was thoughtful and practical about it, he didn't say let's eliminate foreign aid tomorrow. He basically said let's do it gradually in a way beneficial for both countries and the peace process in the Middle East. He cited a speech given by Netanyahu's brother saying that the aid basically forced a dependency relationship with the US and that getting off it would be beneficial. Guess what? Israel isn't outraged? Remember Romney's trip to the UK during the Olympics? He actually has lots of fans there, as evidenced by that award he got from the pro-liberty think tank there.

2) He's undercutting the neocons and Israel lobby in America. By traveling around and meeting with leaders of both sides of all nations involved, he is giving himself great foreign policy credentials and exposing the fallacies of the neoconservative and Jewish establishment. Guess what, it looks likes Israelis aren't outraged at all about Chuck Hagel. And like I said before, they're not crucifying Rand because of his position on foreign aid. When somebody says that in this country (as Ron did), you get chewed out by the Kristols of the world saying how disastrous it is to Israel and that we need to bomb Iran. All Rand is doing is showing how ridiculous the AIPAC's of the country are. It's a very shrewd tactic, but I'd say it's working.

SpicyTurkey
01-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Great. Did he start banging his head against the wall as well? And I wonder. Was the trip payed by him personally, or by us?

ican'tvote
01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Great. Did he start banging his head against the wall as well? And I wonder. Was the trip payed by him personally, or by us?
"The tour was funded by the conservative American Family Association"
www.businessinsider.com/rand-paul-israel-2013-1

eleganz
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Rand doing all of this is good to shut those, 'Pauls hate Israel' b.s.'ers.

Agorism
01-09-2013, 12:39 AM
ugg

Danke
01-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Let's just hope he never goes to Japan and bows to anyone. God only knows what that might mean. (It certainly couldn't be that he would simply be engaging in a very long & time-honored local custom. No, not at all.)

I know what you are getting at, but bowing in Japan (as in your example) does mean something. It shows subservience if you bow lower than the other party. High power folks in Japan basically just give a head nod. And when entertaining a westerner, a hand shake will do. You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties), right?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.419922.1314526982!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alg-bow-barack-obama-jpg.jpg

Occam's Banana
01-09-2013, 01:11 AM
You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties), right?

No way, man! I've seen Shōgun. They didn't have any of that stuff ...

alucard13mmfmj
01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
No way, man! I've seen Shōgun. They didn't have any of that stuff ...

My finals in Chinese III in high school was watching Shogun.. lol. I learned nothing from that class.

bunklocoempire
01-09-2013, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQGApmpBp4

Do what ya gotta do Rand.:)

Bastiat's The Law
01-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Let's not forget several of our Founders lived in other countries for extended periods of time, sometimes begrudgingly. It's a part of the job description.

Bastiat's The Law
01-09-2013, 01:39 AM
The way I see things, Rand is a genius and making himself come off more presidential than anyone else. This might be the most successful foreign trip a first term senator has had in a long time, if not ever. Several points:

1) Rand is being very courageous, thoughtful, and practical with his policy. It's easy to sit in front of a computer or join a nationalist organization and say eliminate all foreign aid, or even be like Ron and give speeches to your biggest supporters and visit college campuses full of young people saying it, but to do it in Israel to major leaders of the government there? That takes guts. He was thoughtful and practical about it, he didn't say let's eliminate foreign aid tomorrow. He basically said let's do it gradually in a way beneficial for both countries and the peace process in the Middle East. He cited a speech given by Netanyahu's brother saying that the aid basically forced a dependency relationship with the US and that getting off it would be beneficial. Guess what? Israel isn't outraged? Remember Romney's trip to the UK during the Olympics? He actually has lots of fans there, as evidenced by that award he got from the pro-liberty think tank there.

2) He's undercutting the neocons and Israel lobby in America. By traveling around and meeting with leaders of both sides of all nations involved, he is giving himself great foreign policy credentials and exposing the fallacies of the neoconservative and Jewish establishment. Guess what, it looks likes Israelis aren't outraged at all about Chuck Hagel. And like I said before, they're not crucifying Rand because of his position on foreign aid. When somebody says that in this country (as Ron did), you get chewed out by the Kristols of the world saying how disastrous it is to Israel and that we need to bomb Iran. All Rand is doing is showing how ridiculous the AIPAC's of the country are. It's a very shrewd tactic, but I'd say it's working.
It really is a brilliant move by Rand. I'm glad you took the time to spell it out for some of the more obtuse posters. Of course no answer will satiate them, because they don't really want answers; they only wish to foment discontent.

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Nice Yamaka Rand

and we have people here who want him for President....*facepalm*

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 02:04 AM

I would if I wasn't looking to get patriot votes.

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 02:05 AM

Christian Judeo traditions? What do people who love Christ have in common with people who killed and hate Christ? At least Islam acknowledges Jesus' existence and prophecy.

LibertyEagle
01-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Christian Judeo traditions? What do people who love Christ have in common with people who killed and hate Christ? At least Islam acknowledges Jesus' existence and prophecy.

The Jews did NOT kill Christ.

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 02:15 AM

They didn't? They didn't send a traitor to turn him to the Romans and then cheer when they arrested him?

James Madison
01-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Rand doing all of this is good to shut those, 'Pauls hate Israel' b.s.'ers.

Doing this serves no purpose whatsoever. Because when push-comes-to-shove Rand will have to choose between siding with or opposing the Israeli lobby. You honestly believe this charade will set him apart from the pack? Do you honestly believe that every single candidate from both parties won't be doing the exact same thing? They will all try to out-Israel each other. If he is the real deal, you can bet that Rand will not be receiving the support of the likes of AIPAC or the ECI. Rubio, Jeb Bush, Huckabee, or Santorum will be the pro-Israel candidate, whichever decide to run.

And personally, I do not believe it is appropriate for a Christian to be worshipping at a man-made alter when that Temple has been replaced by the Body, made holy by the imputing of the Holy Spirit. God let that Temple be destroyed for a reason. And there's a reason He hasn't rebuilt it.

eleganz
01-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Doing this serves no purpose whatsoever. Because when push-comes-to-shove Rand will have to choose between siding with or opposing the Israeli lobby. You honestly believe this charade will set him apart from the pack? Do you honestly believe that every single candidate from both parties won't be doing the exact same thing? They will all try to out-Israel each other. If he is the real deal, you can bet that Rand will not be receiving the support of the likes of AIPAC or the ECI. Rubio, Jeb Bush, Huckabee, or Santorum will be the pro-Israel candidate, whichever decide to run.

And personally, I do not believe it is appropriate for a Christian to be worshipping at a man-made alter when that Temple has been replaced by the Body, made holy by the imputing of the Holy Spirit. God let that Temple be destroyed for a reason. And there's a reason He hasn't rebuilt it.

Thats not the point.

What I meant is that it gives him better positioning with those who would just write him off as an anti-semite like they did with Ron.

Neil Desmond
01-09-2013, 02:53 AM

Same with any other nations such as certain ones in Europe. The Queen of England is free to bow to Rand or anyone of us, though.

James Madison
01-09-2013, 03:16 AM
Thats not the point.

What I meant is that it gives him better positioning with those who would just write him off as an anti-semite like they did with Ron.

The media will script whatever narrative they wish. That's what they did to Buchanan in '96 even though it was blatantly a lie.

S.Shorland
01-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Read 'God's War On Terror' by Walid Shoebat with Joel Richardson.Israel is Jesus' land and he will actually fight for it (a one sided fight but still) and so will we if we are part of the first resurrection or are acceptable to be changed when he comes.So how can you be a Christian and not love Israel when you're a wild olive branch hoping to be grafted on to the Jewish root.

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-09-2013, 04:49 AM

Islam and Christianity have a lot in common, in fact, all three religions do because they are all Abrahamic. That said, no respecting Christian should be wearing a Kippah or Yamaka. How many Jews do you see wearing Crosses and making pilgrimages to the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Vatican, or any Protestant Churches?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-09-2013, 04:49 AM

Islam and Christianity have a lot in common, in fact, all three religions do because they are all Abrahamic. That said, no respecting Christian should be wearing a Kippah or Yamaka. How many Jews do you see wearing Crosses and making pilgrimages to the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Vatican, or any Protestant Churches?

kathy88
01-09-2013, 05:20 AM
In before Collins says he loaned Rand the yarmulke.

July
01-09-2013, 07:01 AM
I know what you are getting at, but bowing in Japan (as in your example) does mean something. It shows subservience if you bow lower than the other party. High power folks in Japan basically just give a head nod. And when entertaining a westerner, a hand shake will do. You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties),

Bows can have a lot of meanings...but height matters in very polite situations. When bowing to someone of equal status, and if you happen to be much taller than they are, you're actually supposed to bow deeper than the other party (to symbolically bring your height to their level). Obama's bow was super stiff and formal, and a little awkward and embarrasing since he tried to mix in a half handshake at the same time, which was weird, but overall it wasn't that bad and didn't mean subservience, IMO... I won't be upset if Rand does something like this one day, and I don't mind him visiting the wall, etc. I get what people mean though. Our politicans don't seem to be focused on America first.

FreeHampshire
01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Lol @ him with the stupid yamaka touching the remains of a Roman fortress. Debunked bronze age religions are so funny.

FreeHampshire
01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I know what you are getting at, but bowing in Japan (as in your example) does mean something. It shows subservience if you bow lower than the other party. High power folks in Japan basically just give a head nod. And when entertaining a westerner, a hand shake will do. You know they do wear western attire there (business suits with neck ties), right?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.419922.1314526982!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alg-bow-barack-obama-jpg.jpg

That pic shows what a retard Obama is, you're not suppose to bow like you're facing some Dark Age King. The bow is suppose to be slight.

cajuncocoa
01-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Lol @ him with the stupid yamaka touching the remains of a Roman fortress. Debunked bronze age religions are so funny.It's always nice when someone chimes in to ridicule others' deeply held religious beliefs. :rolleyes:

cajuncocoa
01-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Islam and Christianity have a lot in common, in fact, all three religions do because they are all Abrahamic. That said, no respecting Christian should be wearing a Kippah or Yamaka. How many Jews do you see wearing Crosses and making pilgrimages to the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Vatican, or any Protestant Churches?Um, that's because Christian heritage is Judaism, not the other way around.

jkr
01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
OH COME ON!
the Sanhedrin had NOTHING to do with it
jealous "jews" had NOTHING to do with it
Judas had NOTHING to do with it
he wasnt hunted down by HEROD the "GREAT"
he wasnt constantly being entrapped by pharisees to trick him into blasphemy with WHICH they could put him to death
he wasnt betrayed by HIS OWN "PEOPLE"
THE "JEWS" DID NOT ARREST HIM
they did not charge him to the magistrate either
nor did they cheer for his death so they could free a man of violence
and, they did nothing to stop it
GET REAL
some "jews" certainly did kill him

boo
i expected better!

(BTW, IMHO, we ALL killed him)

jkr
01-09-2013, 07:50 AM
It's always nice when someone chimes in to ridicule others' deeply held religious beliefs. :rolleyes:
well, some do believe that is not the right wall...

jmdrake
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
+rep. Just because some jackasses in the past have used the "Jews killed Christ" as a reason to hate Jews doesn't mean we have to do mental gymnastics and reinterpret scripture. Ghandi was killed by a fellow Indian. That's no reason to hate Indians, nor to people try to pretend he was killed by a member of some other group just so that folks won't be accused of being "anti-Indian". Yep the Romans finished the job and the Jewish leaders instigated it, and it was done on behalf of all, but then again Jesus said He laid down His own life. So technically He killed Himself.

OH COME ON!
the Sanhedrin had NOTHING to do with it
jealous "jews" had NOTHING to do with it
Judas had NOTHING to do with it
he wasnt hunted down by HEROD the "GREAT"
he wasnt constantly being entrapped by pharisees to trick him into blasphemy with WHICH they could put him to death
he wasnt betrayed by HIS OWN "PEOPLE"
THE "JEWS" DID NOT ARREST HIM
they did not charge him to the magistrate either
nor did they cheer for his death so they could free a man of violence
and, they did nothing to stop it
GET REAL
some "jews" certainly did kill him

boo
i expected better!

(BTW, IMHO, we ALL killed him)

KingNothing
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM

I enjoy funny hats, so yes. I'd wear sombraros, popehats, and turbans consecutively if possible.

KingNothing
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Jesus said He laid down His own life. So technically He killed Himself.

Which is a mortal sin. Therefore, Jesus is in hell.

Matt Collins
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Great. Did he start banging his head against the wall as well? And I wonder. Was the trip payed by him personally, or by us?The trip was paid for by private funds, not by the government.

Matt Collins
01-09-2013, 08:35 AM
He is making sure that people cannot label him as an "Israel hater".

Patriot123
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Haha. I just got back from Israel, actually, and was just at the Western Wall. (I'm Jewish) Shame I didn't bump into Rand!

Matt Collins
01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
The media will script whatever narrative they wish. That's what they did to Buchanan in '96 even though it was blatantly a lie.Except that Rand is doing things to pre-empt this.

Matt Collins
01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
That said, no respecting Christian should be wearing a Kippah or Yamaka. How many Jews do you see wearing Crosses and making pilgrimages to the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Vatican, or any Protestant Churches?Uhhh, Christianity was borne out of Judiasim, not the other way around.

Matt Collins
01-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Doing this serves no purpose whatsoever. Because when push-comes-to-shove Rand will have to choose between siding with or opposing the Israeli lobby. You honestly believe this charade will set him apart from the pack? Do you honestly believe that every single candidate from both parties won't be doing the exact same thing? They will all try to out-Israel each other. If he is the real deal, you can bet that Rand will not be receiving the support of the likes of AIPAC or the ECI. Rubio, Jeb Bush, Huckabee, or Santorum will be the pro-Israel candidate, whichever decide to run.You fail to see the implications of his visit. It stops the neocon lobby as painting him as anti-Israel. While they may not be on his side, they can't be openly against him because he has gone through the motions that they demand, not without looking foolish at best and intellectually dishonest at worst. In short, Rand isn't letting anyone define him, and this is a way to do it.

If/when the anti-Israel attacks come to Rand, it can simply be pointed out that they are untrue, just look, he met with Israeli leaders and visited the wall. Again, it effectively undermines neocon attacks against him.

Brett85
01-09-2013, 09:19 AM
He is making sure that people cannot label him as an "Israel hater".

He'll probably have to vote against confirming Hagel if he wants to avoid that term. I don't really have a problem with Hagel, but Hagel has already been labeled an "Israel Hater" by the GOP and the media.

twomp
01-09-2013, 11:36 AM

Are you asian? or even Japanese? How the fk would you know? I'm Asian, bowing your head is a sign of respect. Obama maybe bowed a little too low but it in no way means a sign of subservience. You act like the Japanese went around the country saying we own Obama after that bow. It's just like taking off your shoes when you go into an Asian person's house. Although I'm sure you feel you wouldn't need to do that either. Genius.

KingNothing
01-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Are you asian? or even Japanese? How the fk would you know? I'm Asian, bowing your head is a sign of respect. Obama maybe bowed a little too low but it in no way means a sign of subservience. You act like the Japanese went around the country saying we own Obama after that bow. It's just like taking off your shoes when you go into an Asian person's house. Although I'm sure you feel you wouldn't need to do that either. Genius.

HOW DARE SOMEONE BE RESPECTFUL! WE ARE AMERICA, F*K YAH! OBAMA SHOULD HAVE JUNKKICKED HIM! F*K YAH!

specsaregood
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
HOW DARE SOMEONE BE RESPECTFUL! WE ARE AMERICA, F*K YAH! OBAMA SHOULD HAVE JUNKKICKED HIM! F*K YAH!

MAYBE IT WAS THE LITTLE ASIAN GUY NOT BOWING THAT JUNKKICKED OBAMA AND THATS WHY OBAMA IS KEELED OVER! THE JAPS, THEY ATTACKED FIRST AGAIN!

chudrockz
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Personally, I'm a huge fan of junk-kicking people when I first meet them. Makes me a real hit at parties.

Danke
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Lived, worked and studied there.

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Are you asian? or even Japanese? How the fk would you know? I'm Asian, bowing your head is a sign of respect.

all signs of self disrespect is a sign of respect.

Brett85
01-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I hope that Rand Paul gets back from his trip and starts fighting against the gun confiscation effort.

FSP-Rebel
01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I hope that Rand Paul gets back from his trip and starts fighting against the gun confiscation effort.
For real, he needs to hit the circuit on the major talk shows and highlight the much needed facts about the gun debate and grow his profile as the solid, all round constitutional conservative. I've said before that he needs to run with the gun issue esp at this crucial juncture and he will be loved by the the rank and file and adored by the gun community.

jj-
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM

If Romney ran ads showing this, he would've been elected President.

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
If Romney ran ads showing this, he would've been the elected President.

you think so? did it work for McCain?

SpreadOfLiberty
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Seriously?

First, Jesus was a Jew. Yes, some Jews were responsible for killing Jesus. Jews were also the first Christians.

Shock, that's how things go in a Jewish nation!

What is in common? The Old Testament of the Bible. So up to that point there is an agreement.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM

But this stuff is part of the Bible, and Islam isn't. That is the difference.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Lol @ him with the stupid yamaka touching the remains of a Roman fortress. Debunked bronze age religions are so funny.

Have you made up your mind what you are yet? Your religious threads are all over the place.

phill4paul
01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
When I went to shrines in Japan I took my shoes off in time honored tradition (Doom on them. :p). To get respect one must also give respect.
As far as Obama it is slightly different. He stands neither above nor below the host nations political head. They are equals. And I would think that the president of the U.S. would at least be given some understanding of formal customs used in these countries when equals meet.

twomp
01-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Lived, worked and studied there.

Then you should know better then that. That's not a sign of "subservience". He bowed a little too low. That is just a sign that he didn't do it right. It is equivalent to a Japanese man trying to pronounce an English word and saying it wrong.

Danke
01-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Then you should know better then that. That's not a sign of "subservience". He bowed a little too low. That is just a sign that he didn't do it right. It is equivalent to a Japanese man trying to pronounce an English word and saying it wrong.

I'm not talking about the clueless Obama.

phill4paul
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM

He's not "bowing his head" he's practically sucking his dick. A nod of the head or at the most bow of about 15 degrees should have done it. One would think that a president of the U.S. could receive a little coaching. From someone, say, an ambassador?

twomp
01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
He's not "bowing his head" he's practically sucking his dick. A nod of the head or at the most bow of about 15 degrees should have done it. One would think that a president of the U.S. could receive a little coaching. From someone, say, an ambassador?

True but I think we can all agree here that this President and his administration aren't the best and the brightest that America has to offer.

Confederate
01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
In before Collins says he loaned Rand the yarmulke.

Yeah but Collins uses it as a tent.

Brian4Liberty
01-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Uhhh, Christianity was borne out of Judiasim, not the other way around.

And some would say that Judaism was born of Zoroastrianism.

Interesting, as so many aggressive, supposed "defenders" of Israel want to bomb the remnants of Zoroastrianism...

phill4paul
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
True but I think we can all agree here that this President and his administration aren't the best and the brightest that America has to offer.

Absolutely.

Spikender
01-09-2013, 04:47 PM

I dunno, they were smart enough to get Obama elected and reelected and fool the American people...

Actually, I think that says more about the state our of country more than anything. Namely, that the American people are dumb as apples.

July
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM

45 degrees is the correct angle for a very formal situation, like say, meeting an emperor... It's certainly not an every day bow.... it can be used among equals and doesn't just mean an apology.

Obama didn't quite do it right. But so what? The media used this to promote vague feelings of nationalism at the time...a sentiment which only came back to bite us later when Ron tried to talk about a rational foreign policy during his campaign. There are plenty of real issues to attack Obama on but the "apology tour" thing was always a distraction, IMO.

Tpoints
01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
45 degrees is the correct angle for a very formal situation

so when do you do 90 degrees?

July
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
so when do you do 90 degrees?

For like visiting a shrine or temple, or like...when offering condolences, as a very deep sign of regret, or show of deep respect to a very important person. Most of the time though if it's supposed to be as an apology or show of regret, you're supposed to hold the bow there for several seconds, not just a quick down and up.

Anyways this is all kind of irrelevant, IMO...at the time the Japanese media didn't really care at first, and the US media didn't go into nuance. It's all about whether it is acceptable for a US pres (or candidate) to engage in other cultural practices when visiting leaders in other countries. The right wants us to think the US is above all other nations, while the left pushes this sort of idea of world citizenship....so these situations just get used for political purposes often.

phill4paul
01-10-2013, 07:54 AM
45 degrees is the correct angle for a very formal situation, like say, meeting an emperor... It's certainly not an every day bow.... it can be used among equals and doesn't just mean an apology.

Obama didn't quite do it right. But so what? The media used this to promote vague feelings of nationalism at the time...a sentiment which only came back to bite us later when Ron tried to talk about a rational foreign policy during his campaign. There are plenty of real issues to attack Obama on but the "apology tour" thing was always a distraction, IMO.

How low did Akihito bow? Also, he looks like a goddamned pigeon bobbing his head up and down. He really needed a coach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3kyD_e0Y7FQ

Oh and here he is practically fucking genuflecting..........

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef012875a01896970c-300wi

Romulus
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Exactly..its a sign of dominance... onward Christian soldiers..

July
01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
How low did Akihito bow? Also, he looks like a goddamned pigeon bobbing his head up and down. He really needed a coach.

Akihito's bow is quick... and well he was meeting them right at the palace, in Japan, so Obama was technically a guest there... Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Obama...just saying, take the media interpretation with a grain of salt, that's all.

I don't know about his other bow.

loveableteddybear
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Nice Yamaka Rand
Lowest Common Denominator, I don't know a single Jew impressed by a stunt like that.

Tpoints
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Lowest Common Denominator, I don't know a single Jew impressed by a stunt like that.

But I bet you know a lot of Jews that are offended if he didn't.

cero
01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehFftLUKuY

Dystopian
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehFftLUKuY

There were some posters on here saying that everyone was required to wear the yarmulke. According to this video, that is obviously not the case.

Why are there so many pictures being taken? Is this a sacred religious experience or a photo op to go show AIPAC?

KrokHead
01-12-2013, 07:21 AM
But I bet you know a lot of Jews that are offended if he didn't.

Then those same Jews will vote for democrats who want Israel erased from the map, go figure.

Tpoints
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Then those same Jews will vote for democrats who want Israel erased from the map, go figure.

Who would that be? Which Democrat in this country wants Israel wiped off the map? Howard Dean?

FriedChicken
01-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I haven't read all 10 pages but ... am I correct in assuming that there are some people here upset about Rand's little hat?

SpreadOfLiberty
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I haven't read all 10 pages but ... am I correct in assuming that there are some people here upset about Rand's little hat?

Some people think that if you wear a hat you have been converted, bought out or some nonsense.

FriedChicken
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Some people think that if you wear a hat you have been converted, bought out or some nonsense.

Thanks for filling me in.

timosman
05-22-2017, 08:27 AM
bump