PDA

View Full Version : Rand should DEFEND Hagel...

itshappening
01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
in Israel and in front of Netanyahu.

That will shut the neocons up and may gain Rand Paul some respect and friends within the administration. It might even mean a new base for Kentucky.

Anti-Neocon
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
The idea of a draft does have the positive of shutting up the younger chickenhawks, and the older ones too who have draft-aged children and grandchildren.

Rand defending Hagel is a ludicrous idea because it is terrible politically for him, making him look like a Democrat. I'm afraid that being "open minded" and voting to confirm him is the best he can do.

compromise
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
It would ruin him among Republicans. Not a wise choice. He has to win some Republican primaries before he can go into the general election, and if he does this, they'll treat him just like they treated Hagel.

supermario21
01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Rand's already known to want to cut the defense budget, he doesn't need to vote a certain way on Hagel to validate his position.

Brett85
01-08-2013, 05:16 PM
It would ruin him among Republicans. Not a wise choice. He has to win some Republican primaries before he can go into the general election, and if he does this, they'll treat him just like they treated Hagel.

Yep. I'm afraid that even voting to confirm Hagel could hurt Rand among the Republican base.

Cowlesy
01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I really don't know anything about how Hagel would run the DoD. We need hearings to see what his thinking is, in my opinion.

itshappening
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
I really don't know anything about how Hagel would run the DoD. We need hearings to see what his thinking is, in my opinion.

What's odds will you offer me that he flip flops on most of his past statements?

dinosaur
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
What's odds will you offer me that he flip flops on most of his past statements?

Exactly, so why should Rand defend this guy?

compromise
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Yep. I'm afraid that even voting to confirm Hagel could hurt Rand among the Republican base.

Voting to confirm Hagel is okay as long as there's other Republicans who do the same, which there's bound to be.

Brett85
01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Voting to confirm Hagel is okay as long as there's other Republicans who do the same, which there's bound to be.

Yeah, that's true. But it will look really bad if Rand ends up being the only Republican who votes to confirm Hagel.

CaptLouAlbano
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
I need to spend more time reading some of Hagel's statements, but bear in mind that there are nuances to an anti-war position. I am a non-interventionist and always have been, but I do not share many of the views of the anti-war left. Again, I need to read some more on Hagel, but maybe some can enlighten me: does he hold that "America is evil, everyone else would be peaceful if not for us" mentality?

Agorism
01-08-2013, 06:34 PM

I agree. I have no reason to think he would be as different as some are saying.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-08-2013, 09:53 PM
It would help Rand's political capital to oppose him.

TruthisTreason
01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Hagel is probably the best anyone could hope for coming from the O admin.

Aratus
01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
AS A BAYSTATER WHO IS FOLLOWING THE SPECULATION OVER SENATOR JOHN KERRY BECOMING THE NEXT SEC' OF STATE, I TOTALLY AGREE!