PDA

View Full Version : Neocons who dodged Vietnam draft

itshappening
01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
The number of total servicemembers in the United States was 8,744,000 between 1964 and 1975. Of those, 3,403,000 were deployed to Southeast Asia. From a pool of approximately 27 million, the draft raised 2,215,000 men for military service during the Vietnam era. It has also been credited with "encouraging" many of the 8.7 million "volunteers" to join rather than risk being drafted
-

It's fun to google neocons and see how they managed to dodge the draft. For example, if we search for Dick Cheney we learn that he had a child at the perfect time to avoid being called up. Since he had Elizabeth he was re-classified and moved to the bottom of the list:

Aug. 29, 1964: Dick and Lynne Cheney marry.

May 19, 1965: The Selective Service classifies Dick Cheney 1-A, "available immediately for military service."

July 28, 1965: President Lyndon Johnson says draft calls will be doubled.

Oct. 26, 1965: The Selective Service declares that married men without children, who were previously exempted from the draft, will now be called up. Married men with children remain exempt.

Jan. 19, 1966: The Selective Service reclassifies Dick Cheney 3-A, "deferred from military service because service would cause hardship upon his family," because his wife is pregnant with their first child.

July 28, 1966: Elizabeth Cheney is born.

Jan. 30, 1967: Dick Cheney turns 26 and therefore becomes ineligible for the draft.

Dedicated students of obstetrics will observe that Elizabeth Cheney's birth date falls precisely nine months and two days after the Selective Service publicly revoked its policy of not drafting childless husbands. This would seem to indicate that the Cheneys, though doubtless planning to have children sometime, were seized with an untamable passion the moment Dick Cheney became vulnerable to the Vietnam draft. And acted on it. Carpe diem!

Who says government policy can't affect human behavior?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/chatterbox/2004/03/elizabeth_cheney_deferment_baby.html

-

Rush Limbaugh who is a frequent agitator for war was exempted because doctors found a boil on his ass. Although he never talks about it and denied it on the air:

-
Rush Limbaugh makes a living being overly critical of President Obama's foreign policy decisions, while advocating more aggressive outcomes. He often suggests that American lives be put in harm's way...but did you know that Limbaugh himself is a draft dodger? It's true. In fact, he avoided the Vietnam draft entirely because he had a pilondial cyst on his ass.

Logic says that he would have been able to fire a weapon just fine, cyst or not. Rush has had the lifelong appearance of a stout person, so a little extra walking around would have been agreeable to his figure.

The fact that he had a cyst is not to be debated. In fact his own mother corroborated the story according to, Paul D. Colford, one of Limbaugh's biographers. Apparently, according to family lore, his father was afflicted with the same ailment. His siblings also agree with this story.

Now this entire scenario was not known until Rush spilled the beans in 1992 during an appearance at 92nd Street YM-YWHA during a discussion. Apparently the moderator at the time, Jeff Greenfield, simply asked Rush if he had ever served in the military. This question had never been asked of Rush, and it is still a question that he avoids.

There is scant video or audio of this happening, but it has been reported by Snopes.com that Limbaugh very slowly and carefully said, "I had student deferments in college and, upon taking a physical, was discovered to have a physical — uh, by virtue of what the military says, I didn't even know it existed — a physical deferment and then the lottery system came along, when they chose your lot by birthdate, and mine was high. And I did not want to go — just as Governor Clinton didn't."

In 2002 the issue came up again during a call-in from a listener to Limbaugh's show where he proclaimed it was 'popular mythology', and that it is 'just a bunch of internet BS' as in this excerpt from the transcript:

Listener: Rush you never mentioned how you dodged the Vietnam draft.

Rush Limbaugh: I didn't.

Listener: Yes you did. You claimed you had a boil on your butt.

Rush Limbaugh: No, you see, that’s part of popular mythology that is out there that I have not whined nor complained about, Greg. But that is just a bunch of Internet BS and hyperbole. Never happened. Was not the cause, wasn’t the case.

The story that Limbaugh likes to tell people, now that his draft dodging is public knowledge, is that he avoided the draft because he had an old knee injury from playing highschool football.

That story, too, doesn't hold much water as the coach at the time is on record saying that Limbaugh only played for one year, and has no memory of Limbaugh ever having a knee injury.

Taking all of these facts into account you have to ask yourself one thing. Would Rush's own mother lie about something, and if she would -- why would she lie about her son having a cyst?

http://www.examiner.com/article/rush-limbaugh-dodged-vietnam-draft-due-to-a-boil-on-his-rear-end
-

Mitt Romney decided instead of doing what he would term his patriotic duty and national service he would go to France instead and be a Mormon missionary ...

I'm sure there are many more examples of these public figures dodging the draft, can you find any more?

cajuncocoa
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
chickenhawks

oyarde
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Hell , I thought Dick was older than that .