PDA

View Full Version : US senator calls for gradual cut in aid to Israel

klamath
01-07-2013, 07:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/us-senator-calls-gradual-cut-aid-israel-111336935.html

tangent4ronpaul
01-07-2013, 07:19 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/07/3997750/us-senator-calls-for-gradual-cut.html

JERUSALEM -- In his first visit to Israel, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul is calling for a gradual reduction of American foreign aid.

It's an unlikely place to deliver the message, since Israel is among the largest recipients of American assistance. But Paul said in a Monday meeting with reporters that the U.S. can't afford to keep sending money overseas, even to allies like Israel. He says it would be "harder to be a friend of Israel if we are out of money."

The Kentucky Republican, a longtime opponent of foreign aid, acknowledges he's expressing a "minority opinion" and doubts Congress will cut aid. He insists Washington should first cut aid to countries with strained ties to America, such as Pakistan and Egypt.

Israel gets about $3 billion a year in military aid.

-t

CaptLouAlbano
01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Lots of positive comments on that article and it's on Yahoo no less.

mz10
01-07-2013, 08:41 AM
NEOCON!!!!!!!!

klamath
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Lots of positive comments on that article and it's on Yahoo no less.
Yep. Not many comments here though but I am sure we would have had 7 pages ripping into Rand as a neocon sellout if he would have said "we need to mantain our support for Israel.

kathy88
01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Dude's got some balls I will give him that.

kathy88
01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
The reporters' first questions were probably about his son. Lol

supermario21
01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Jennifer Rubin is already at it.

Zeke Miller ‏@ZekeJMiller
RT @grace_lightning: .@SenRandPaul gets to know Naftali Bennett, leader of Israel's Jewish Home party #randpaul #israel http://instagr.am/p/ULxRr8R99z/
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite
RETWEET
FAVORITE
10:14 AM - 7 Jan 13 · Details
Tweet textImage will appear as a link
18m Jennifer Rubin ‏@JRubinBlogger
@ZekeJMiller @grace_lightning @senrandpaul I don't know if they can co-exist in same universe

loveableteddybear
01-07-2013, 10:56 AM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/_dpGUSBhmU2rqSkO9Cyvpg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MjczNjtjcj0xO2N3PTM2NDg7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ3MjtxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/e6ba702edacfeb00250f6a7067009479.jpg

Looks like his son after a few beers, AP use a better photo.

The fact the media attacks him with low blows like this means Rand's our man.

AuH20
01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
NEOCON!!!!!!!!

You called?

Brett85
01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Looks like his son after a few beers, AP use a better photo.

The fact the media attacks him with low blows like this means Rand's our man.

He doesn't look very happy in any of his recent pictures. Rand's son getting arrested was pretty bad timing.

cajuncocoa
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/us-senator-calls-gradual-cut-aid-israel-111336935.htmlGood for Rand. I hope he stands his ground on this if Hannity rips him for it the next time Rand's on the show.

itshappening
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Hannity has been nothing but respectful to Rand in the 2 years he's been interviewing him.

I doubt he's going to rip him.

Rand is a great agent for advancing this agenda because he has the confidence and the respect due to winning a senate race

kathy88
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Hannity has been nothing but respectful to Rand in the 2 years he's been interviewing him.

Rand is a great agent for advancing this agenda because he has the confidence and the respect due to winning a senate race

Your blind faith in the MSM astounds me consistently.

FSP-Rebel
01-07-2013, 01:34 PM

If he does he'll do it in a much more reserved fashion than Ron got. Tho, I recall when Rand basically fooled Sean to have him on his radio show back during the primary saying he has some big news to report but then just basically stumped for his dad. I know Sean resented being played for a fool and I'm sure he hasn't forgot. Sean has a great memory and he's proved that over and over with his relentless reminders of the snowball attack. I'd think rather than attack him, as he knows Rand's smart enough to think on his feet in terms that isn't off-putting to most republicans, he'd just leave out Rand's name when he mentions '16 Prez prospects repeatedly. jmo

Yieu
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
"It will harder to be a friend of Israel if we are out of money. It will be harder to defend Israel if we destroy our country in the process," he told the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies, an Israeli think tank. "I think there will be significant repercussions to running massive deficits ... you destroy your currency by spending money you don't have."
[...]
Paul insisted Washington should first cut aid to countries with strained ties to America, such as Pakistan and Egypt, and only later wean Israel off aid. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has previously stated he was interested in doing that.

I give respect where it is due. This was bold and true of him to say, as we do need to cut all foreign aid, but it would probably be wiser to do it as he suggests -- and even Israel has shown interest in doing so. I didn't know whether to trust him when we first heard about him, then he got me on his side with his actions and votes in the Senate, then towards the end of this last election year he betrayed the trust that I had placed in him, but he just earned a little back. I am still cautious and in a wait-and-see mode regarding him.

alucard13mmfmj
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Cut foreign aid to all shady or non-allied countries first. Then, cut foreign aid to all allies in times of peace, except Israel. Cut foreign aid to Israel last.

Seems like the best path.