PDA

View Full Version : Larger plot against Boehner called off minutes before his reelection vote

deadfish
01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Wow! :eek:

http://www.rollcall.com/news/boehner_coup_attempt_larger_than_first_thought-220607-1.html
by Jonathan Strong
(http://twitter.com/j_strong)

A concerted effort to unseat Speaker John A. Boehner was under way the day of his re-election to the position, but participants called it off 30 minutes before the House floor vote, CQ Roll Call has learned.

A group of disaffected conservatives had agreed to vote against the Ohio lawmaker if they could get at least 25 members to join the effort. But one member, whose identity could not be verified, rescinded his or her participation the morning of the vote, leaving the group one person short of its self-imposed 25-member threshold. Only 17 votes against Boehner were required to force a second ballot, but the group wanted to have insurance.

Republican Reps. Justin Amash of Michigan, Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina and Raśl R. Labrador of Idaho played key roles in organizing the plot. But participants describe its origin as organic and not led by any particular member, despite the suggestion by at least one House Republican that Amash was the ringleader.

The called-off plot suggests Boehner’s opponents were more organized than previously thought, however loosely. Notably, the attempt was plotted independently from, and without the knowledge of, a public effort led by a young conservative activist and former GOP Rep. Jeff Landry, which created buzz about Boehner’s possible ouster in conservative media. Landry lost re-election to Boehner ally Rep. Charles Boustany Jr., R-La., in a member-vs.-member contest brought about by redistricting.

Breitbart.com covered the Landry effort extensively, and one Republican member who participated in the larger coup attempt said Breitbart’s coverage of the smaller push actually helped keep their effort hidden because it suggested to Boehner and his allies that talk of a coup wasn’t serious. Members of the larger coup plot deliberately excluded top aides from deliberations to enhance secrecy and to protect them from recrimination.

Continue reading at Roll Call (http://www.rollcall.com/news/boehner_coup_attempt_larger_than_first_thought-220607-1.html)

Agorism
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Bet it was Jim Jordan who got a special committee assignment at the last moment.

CaptainAmerica
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
too bad the triumvirate troll wasn't voted out .

kathy88
01-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Amash the ringleader. Lolz. Has a nice ring to it.

sparebulb
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
False flag attack to blame it on Amash and other refusniks.

Just throwing that out there.

deadfish
01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Since the stories first started appearing, I spent hours scanning PJMedia, Breitbart, HotAir, DailyCaller, and the like and was actually really surprised to see the vast majority of comments against Boehner. I saw very few mentions of Amash and the couple I did see were very supportive.

itshappening
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Since the stories first started appearing, I spent hours scanning PJMedia, Breitbart, HotAir, DailyCaller, and the like and was actually really surprised to see the vast majority of comments against Boehner. I saw very few mentions of Amash and the couple I did see were very supportive.

why are you surprised? Boehner is not well liked. He's been selling them out for two years.

RP Supporter
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Nice but a bit disappointing that Amash isn't getting more credit. The more he's contrasted in opposition to Boehner, the more the conservative grassroots will love him.

NoOneButPaul
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
24 wasn't enough?
I don't understand why they needed 8 more than they needed...

jj-
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
24 wasn't enough?
I don't understand why they needed 8 more than they needed...

We have five fingers on each hand and it's comfortable that the number be a multiple of that.

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Members of the larger coup plot deliberately excluded top aides from deliberations to enhance secrecy and to protect them from recrimination.

Apparently it's not too secret now.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
It was bound to break eventually I guess.