PDA

View Full Version : Fake News: LAPD, Media Tout Rocket Launcher Seizure That Wasn't

RonPaulFanInGA
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/01/05/Fake-News-L-A-Cops-Media-Tout-Rocket-Launcher-Seizure-That-Wasn-t

Only one problem. The story is pure puffery. These so-called “rocket launchers” the LAPD recovered weren't a danger to anyone. In fact, at least one of them was never a danger to anyone.

It turns out both were one-use, AT-4 grenade launchers used by the U.S. Army in anti-tank operations. Yes they are grenade launchers (not really "rocket" launchers proper) but these tubes are pre-packaged weapons that can be fired only one time and cannot be reloaded. They are one-shot only weapons. So, yes, that means the tubes the police had were completely and permanently harmless.

But even more absurdly, at least one of the tubes was a training piece and never fired a grenade and never could have. It was a device used only for showing young soldiers what such a weapon looks like. It is a hands-on training tool that is 100% inert, un-fireable, safe as a plastic kid's toy gun.

As Paul Szoldra explains, "It is, quite literally, a long, green fiberglass tube that does nothing."

Further, these hunks of plastic can be bought at many military surplus stores and have even turned up on on eBay in the past.

Feeding the Abscess
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Damnit, why didn't I think of turning something like that in for free cash

cbrons
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Most gun grabbers don't know the difference btw a red ryder and a rock river ar-15

Brian4Liberty
01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Damnit, why didn't I think of turning something like that in for free cash

Obviously, someone else did.

Can't wait for them to start doing ammo buy-backs. Better start saving all of those empty shells...

jmdrake
01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Obviously, someone else did.

Can't wait for them to start doing ammo buy-backs. Better start saving all of those empty shells...

.....for reloading purposes.

Anti Federalist
01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
What a surprise.

mrsat_98
01-06-2013, 04:41 PM
wonder what we could get for a potato gun.

pcosmar
01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
What a surprise.

Nope.

I would point to my original arrest report.. (if i had a copy of it)