PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for repeal, state legislator wants to put med mj back on the ballot in 2014

Lucille
01-06-2013, 10:29 AM
State Representative John Kavanagh Wants Voters to Repeal State's Voter-Approved Medical Marijuana Act
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2013/01/state_representative_john_kava.php

Apparently fresh out of a screening of Reefer Madness, Republican state Representative John Kavanagh wants voters to now vote to repeal Arizona's medical-marijuana law, which voters approved in 2010.

As the first bills are being submitted for the upcoming legislative session, Kavanagh submitted a bill that would put medical marijuana back on the ballot, in 2014.

Kavanagh provided his nonsense explanation to Capitol Media Services' Howie Fischer, as he explained he was just damn outraged about the reports that about 2 percent of teenagers had obtained marijuana from prescription-pot card-holders.

Kavanagh told Fischer that report was the "last straw" for him, although Kavanagh failed to mention that in that report, teenagers who smoked marijuana in the last 30 days said they obtained it from friends (72.7 percent), parties (28.6 percent), other (23.7 percent), family/relatives (14.8 percent), and school (13.4 percent) more than medical-weed card-holders (11.6 percent). Kavanagh's proposed vote does not address the problems of teenagers having friends or families, or attending school or parties -- which are much more common ways of teenagers obtaining marijuana.

The legislator also doubled down on his statements to the Arizona Republic, saying he wanted to let voters "rethink a decision they made on faulty -- and absent --information."

Kavanagh would need a simple majority in the House and Senate to get this on the ballot for 2014.

Origanalist
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
The Empire Strikes Back. (did anyone really think they wouldn't?)

Kavanagh provided his nonsense explanation to Capitol Media Services' Howie Fischer, as he explained he was just damn outraged about the reports that about 2 percent of teenagers had obtained marijuana from prescription-pot card-holders.

This fake outrage is as transparent as sandwich baggies. By this reasoning all prescription drugs and alcohol should be illegal.

Lucille
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Maybe there should be two mj ballot measures; that pearl clutching control freak's, and another legalizing it for recreational use like CO and WA.

torchbearer
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
The Empire Strikes Back. (did anyone really think they wouldn't?)

This fake outrage is as transparent as sandwich baggies. By this reasoning all prescription drugs and alcohol should be illegal.

good point.

Smart3
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
I almost want this to go through, since I'm pretty confident it would be defeated easily.

Occam's Banana
01-13-2013, 12:01 AM
The legislator also doubled down on his statements to the Arizona Republic, saying he wanted to let voters "rethink a decision they made on faulty -- and absent --information."

Why, how magnanimous of him! After all, it's not every grunting thug who is willing to allow you to "rethink a decision" he doesn't like ...

Bastiat's The Law
01-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Can we run a liberty candidate against him in LD23?

Smart3
01-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Looks like I was right:
AZ Marijuana polling (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2013/01/poll_most_arizonans_support_me.php)

jkob
01-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Lets get full legalization on the ballot and see this square's head explode

majinkoola
01-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Can we run a liberty candidate against him in LD23?

I'm in this district. Pretty sure he's running for State Senate next term, when the Senator from this district tries for Secretary of State.

dannno
01-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I almost want this to go through, since I'm pretty confident it would be defeated easily.

I agree, I want to see this defeated 70%+ No to 30%- Yes

dannno
01-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Lets get full legalization on the ballot and see this square's head explode

This too.

Keith and stuff
01-15-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm hoping the sad news from MT was a fluke that not only will NOT be repeated, but will be fixed in a year or two. This shouldn't pass in AZ. The tide is on the legalization side, not the repeal medical side.

Smart3
01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
I would think that 2016 would be best for AZ's legalization.

Slight problem being that it hands the state to the Dem nominee, especially if the marriage initiative in 2014 is pushed to 2016. Could you imagine AZ going +4 to the D? McCain's successor would probably lose as well.

Kregisen
01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm not at all worried about medical marijuana failing in 2014. Yes, it passed only 50.1% to 49.9% in 2010, but the entire country has changed so much since then, and people have seen that nothing really changed since the law went into effect. Add to that that WA and CO legalized it for all recreational use, and the fact that more older people die in 4 years and more younger people become voters, that this will easily go 60% no and 40% yes on banning medical marijuana.