PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Ted Cruz statement on the 2nd Amendment

itshappening
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Every parent was understandably horrified by the senseless murder of 20 children and 6 adults at an elementary school in Newtown, CT. Our hearts weep for the families, and we are appropriately engaged in a national discussion about the problems of mental illness and the approaches that state and local governments can take to prevent future tragedies.

Sadly, but predictably, it took just minutes for liberals to begin exploiting this horror to push their own gun-control schemes. One media pundit after another blathered on about their deep desire to strip away our Second Amendment rights — despite the fact that no gun-control laws could possibly have prevented this madman from stealing guns from a law-abiding citizen and murdering these children.

President Obama leapt on the bandwagon, renewing his call to come after our guns. And Senator Feinstein reintroduced an even more aggressive “assault weapons ban” that would, among other things, create a national firearms registry — a government list of those Americans who choose to exercise our constitutional rights.

This is wrong, and I will fight to stop it. It contravenes the Bill of Rights, and it is foolhardy policy — consistently, those jurisdictions that enact the most restrictive firearms policies have the highest crime and murder rates, and those jurisdictions that protect our right to keep and bear arms have the lowest.

http://www.tedcruz.org/blog/2012/12/29/stand-together-to-protect-our-second-amendment-rights/

CaptLouAlbano
01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Coming out strong right out of the gate. Cruz is going to be a huge help for traditional conservatives in the Senate. The nice thing is, that he can likely keep that seat as long as he wishes

GunnyFreedom
01-05-2013, 09:11 AM
For the first time I kinda wish I was on the Hill so I could fight this directly. ;)

QuickZ06
01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Coming out strong right out of the gate. Cruz is going to be a huge help for traditional conservatives in the Senate. The nice thing is, that he can likely keep that seat as long as he wishes

We shall see.....

CaptLouAlbano
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
We shall see.....

Yea that's right, I am sure he will say something or do something over the next few months that will cause the purists to wash their hands of him.

We are such a small minority in both the House and Senate and there are some folks who fancy themselves as activists, who want to make that number even smaller by placing everyone under a microscope.

QuickZ06
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Yea that's right, I am sure he will say something or do something over the next few months that will cause the purists to wash their hands of him.

We are such a small minority in both the House and Senate and there are some folks who fancy themselves as activists, who want to make that number even smaller by placing everyone under a microscope.

It his family ties (wife is a vp for goldman sachs) and what he is for; more boarder control, wants to give police more power to ask about immigration status ect. ect.

I hope he is one of the best in the Senate and supports liberty 100% but for right now all we can do is watch and see and go off of what he has already done and said.

Brett85
01-05-2013, 11:06 AM
It's good that he's at least solid on this issue. He's the first Senate Republican who's even spoken out against these gun control proposals.

CaptLouAlbano
01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
It his family ties (wife is a vp for goldman sachs) and what he is for; more boarder control, wants to give police more power to ask about immigration status ect. ect.

I hope he is one of the best in the Senate and supports liberty 100% but for right now all we can do is watch and see and go off of what he has already done and said.

But see here is where the issue is for a lot of people - maybe for yourself or not - but in general...It's this wait and see attitude, as almost though folks are waiting for someone to cast a vote or make a statement so they can cast them aside as "not on the team".

The fact is that Cruz will be in the Senate for the next 6 years. And if he wants it, he can probably stay there as long as he likes based on TX voting patterns. Based on what I have read on him already, he is going to vote the same way I would have voted (if I were in the Senate) 90% of the time or more, just like Rand, Lee, DeMint have. That's an ally in my mind and a damn strong one.

So maybe you don't like his position on immigration. Ok that is fine, but it doesn't make the guy a traitor to the cause. It just means he holds a different position on one policy than you do. This sort of insistence that someone has to be 100% is silly - because quite honestly your 100% is probably not my 100% and mine is probably not Traditional Conservative's 100%, and his (or hers) is not GunnyFreedom's 100%. See where I am going here? We are all on the same team (or at least we like to think so) except that when folks throw around these 100% tests and put everyone under a microscope, we don't grow, we don't attract new activists, and frankly we make potential candidates leery of working with us because it doesn't take much and some of us will turn on them.

Brett85
01-05-2013, 12:29 PM

That sounds good. Ron Paul generally voted in favor of more border control when he was in the house as well.