PDA

View Full Version : China starts ticketing motorists running yellow lights

aGameOfThrones
01-05-2013, 01:58 AM
First installed in London by a railway engineer in 1868, traffic lights are used in just about every city on the planet today. In the most basic sense, drivers have learned that red means stop, green light means go and that yellow indicates that caution is due as the signal is in the process of change. Even an elementary school child understands that traffic flows through a green and yellow light, but running a red light is not only dangerous, but it is against the law.

Yet China has now rewritten the rules.

On January 1, 2013, it became illegal to drive through both red and yellow lights in the Asian country. Those cited more than once will likely lose their driving privileges. The aggressive rule follows a crackdown by Chinese authorities aimed at reducing the estimated 250,000 road traffic fatalities the country experiences each year – a figure that makes road accidents the leading cause of death among residents between the ages of 15 and 44, says the World Health Organization.

The physics behind the law are flawed, as many in China have already criticized, as it is impossible to legally stop for a light without knowing when the signal is going to change. Many argue that the new regulation will grind traffic to a halt, as drivers are scared to proceed through even green lights. Despite the controversy, China's Ministry of Public Security continues to defend its odd ruling.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/04/china-starts-ticketing-motorists-running-yellow-lights/

squarepusher
01-05-2013, 02:13 AM
There has to be more to this story, doesn't sound right.

FindLiberty
01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Slam on those brakes and just think about this for a minute or two...

C, if traveling a speeds very close to the speed of light, even the longest car will fit into the shortest intersection.

ChristianAnarchist
01-05-2013, 07:39 AM
This story is true. Talked with a Wuhan taxi driver about it today. There are some cites where the police have stated they will not comply with the new ruling and they will not issue tickets for running the yellow but most cities (including Wuhan) will be enforcing the rule. If they take away the license of anyone with two offenses, soon there will be NO taxi drivers or truck drivers. Let's see how fast the idiots in Beijing reverse this BAD law when that happens...

tod evans
01-05-2013, 07:45 AM
No need for yellow lights then just red-n-green..

The you-tube videos ought to be interesting....

Constitutional Paulicy
01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
This is ridiculous. I live in Taiwan and China is actually far more negligent at enforcing traffic violations than Taiwan, which is hard to fathom. If you knew what it was like driving here you would never get over it. The hypocrisy of this lazy approach by authorities to use cameras at intersections to increase revenue is outrageous. They need to enforce more common violations in order to save the may lives that are being lost everyday by these idiotic drivers who do as they chose with concern for repercussions.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Many argue that the new regulation will grind traffic to a halt, as drivers are scared to proceed through even green lights.

I see that in the US, and it's pretty annoying.

The aggressive rule follows a crackdown by Chinese authorities aimed at reducing the estimated 250,000 road traffic fatalities the country experiences each year – a figure that makes road accidents the leading cause of death among residents between the ages of 15 and 44

In the US, I think it's the number one cause of death for ages 15 - 24.

They always make it sound like people blow through red lights into oncoming traffic. Death and injury are a way bigger deterrent than cameras. (which weren't mentioned in the article, but I'm sure they're on the way if they aren't there already.)

QuickZ06
01-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Weird, thought we would be the first to do this. Guess China wins this round, touche'.

Philhelm
01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Well, when people still run yellow lights, they will need to add a blue light or ticket drivers that run green lights. Seems logical...

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-05-2013, 12:26 PM
My car doesn't brake within a foot so if It's icey or raining out, you know I'm running that yellow light.

Danan
01-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Huh? Maybe I don't understand this correctly, but that's how it already works in Austria. Well, sort of.

Green light: Go ahead.
Green light blinking: It's about to switch to yellow, go ahead only if you can't guarantee to stop safely.
Yellow light: Do not enter the crossroads. (essentially, the few seconds of yellow serve as a buffer)
Red light: Under no circumstance are you supposed to enter or be in the crossroads right now.
Red and yellow light: It's going to switch to green in a few seconds.

Ranger29860
01-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Huh? Maybe I don't understand this correctly, but that's how it already works in Austria. Well, sort of.

Green light blinking: It's about to switch to yellow, go ahead only if you can't guarantee to stop safely.
Yellow light: Do not enter the crossroads. (essentially, the few seconds of yellow serve as a buffer)
Red light: Under no circumstance are you supposed to enter or be in the crossroads right now.

That actually does not seem like to bad of a system. Makes a lot more sense then green go yellow stop if possible and then immediately red.

paulbot24
01-05-2013, 04:06 PM

Yeah but you don't have the state of Florida in your nation.:D

Bodhi
01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEFYCaKakE

:toady:

Slow down...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6FmbMiIxws

Some people just don't get it.

osan
01-06-2013, 07:46 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/04/china-starts-ticketing-motorists-running-yellow-lights/

Lead-in to a ban on autos? Except for government, of course.

AFPVet
01-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Yellow lights serve as a caution for people who are near the intersection that allows them to safely proceed through. Without yellow lights, you will see an increase in rear-end collisions.

Conversely, yellows do not give you the 'green light' to speed through an intersection! It's all about safety!

specsaregood
01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEFYCaKakE

That's the first thing I thought of.

ChristianAnarchist
01-08-2013, 07:18 AM
My wife just heard on the radio here in Wuhan that the Wuhan police will NOT be ticketing for "yellow light violations" and the few drivers who have already received such violations will have those vacated...

Seems that most local jurisdictions are going to ignore the central government's mandate on this one.

osan
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
My wife just heard on the radio here in Wuhan that the Wuhan police will NOT be ticketing for "yellow light violations" and the few drivers who have already received such violations will have those vacated...

Seems that most local jurisdictions are going to ignore the central government's mandate on this one.

I suppose it is time to send in the tanks.

ChristianAnarchist
01-09-2013, 08:14 PM
OK, it looks like this law is already dead. Last night on the news they said that even the local government in Beijing was refusing to enforce this stupid law. Now THAT'S nullification. Too bad our "local" goons don't understand that they can say NO to the "national" goons...