PDA

View Full Version : Barney Frank eyeing MA Senate appointment.

Anti Federalist
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Barney Frank says he would like to be interim senator to conclude ‘fiscal cliff’ fights

01/04/2013 3:56 PM

http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2013/01/04/barney-frank-says-would-like-interim-senator-conclude-fiscal-cliff-fights/uag4xpU3rDq2y2wsgOLB4I/story.html

Former representative Barney Frank revealed today that he had asked Governor Deval Patrick to appoint him to the interim Senate seat that would need to be filled if Senator John F. Kerry resigns to serve as secretary of state.

The governor laughed at the breach of confidentiality about what he has considered a private process, before conceding, “He’d be a great senator.”

Nonetheless, Patrick quickly added: “I have a lot of factors I’m considering.”

Frank told the Globe that he changed his mind about continuing in public life after President Obama and congressional leaders announced their fiscal cliff compromise over the New Year’s holiday.

While that deal raised tax rates on individuals earning more than $400,000 per year, it delayed for two months any resolution to government program cuts or changes in entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare.

“The first months of the new Senate will be among the most important in American history. I may be a little immodest, but I called the governor and said I think I can be a help in reaching a fair solution to some of these issues,” Frank said.

“I think there are progressive ways to work on Social Security and Medicare. I think making the case against them (Tea Party Republicans) on the debt limit is important,” the Newton Democrat added. “A split emerged in the Republican Party over the fiscal cliff, with mainstream Republicans splitting with the radical right. I think it’s important for us to continue to exploit that. We need to reach out to conservative Republicans who nonetheless are willing to compromise, and find a way to reach a deal.”

Frank also said he wanted to fight for the Massachusetts medical community as health care changes are debated.

Asked for the governor’s reaction to his offer, apparently made in a phone call Thursday, the former congressman said: “He said, ‘Thank-you for telling me.’ As you expect, he was noncommittal.”

kathy88
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
OMG

compromise
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping he's too far left to be considered. Frank is as progressive as they come.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Nobody needs to know about Frank eyeing Kerry's seat.

brandon
01-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I could think of a lot of worse people to appoint. Another anti-war, anti-prohibition senator sounds okay with me. Whoever they appoint is likely going to vote the Democratic party line on most things. At least we know Frank will deviate on these two key issues.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-04-2013, 04:27 PM
I would rather them just due Dukakis for nostalgia reasons.

It's only three months anyhow.

matt0611
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm hoping he's too far left to be considered. Frank is as progressive as they come.

LOL no one is "too left" for us in Massachusetts. Trust me.

sailingaway
01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
I just saw this on twitter. I wonder if he would get a Banking Committee assignment...

mz10
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I could think of a lot of worse people to appoint. Another anti-war, anti-prohibition senator sounds okay with me. Whoever they appoint is likely going to vote the Democratic party line on most things. At least we know Frank will deviate on these two key issues.

Makes no difference. He's not going to vote on a single drug-related or war-related issue during his 5 months in office. He's not running in the special election.

Quite frankly, maybe it's better if Markey wins the special. Brown winning will reinforce the establishment wing of the Mass GOP, and Markey will probably just die off after a few years anyway. Then we can get someone good like Jim Lyons or Bob Hedlund in there.

kathy88
01-04-2013, 06:13 PM

My kids think I'm crazy laughing at the laptop. And maybe I am.

BenIsForRon
01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I'd like to see what he would do in the senate for a few months. Maybe he could help Rand support the bill that tells the DEA to leave Colorado and Washington State alone.

Aratus
01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
seriously... its only three months or so... i'd guess that he has 50/50 odds of being the appointee
because he said he would not run for the seat. his only obstacle is that deval patrick told him to
be quiet about it and he wasn't. i am assuming that scott brown may end up winning the election!

mz10
01-04-2013, 11:10 PM
seriously... its only three months or so... i'd guess that he has 50/50 odds of being the appointee
because he said he would not run for the seat. his only obstacle is that deval patrick told him to
be quiet about it and he wasn't. i am assuming that scott brown may end up winning the election!

I really don't care at all who wins the election. There isn't even a lesser of two evils, they are both equally bad. I'll be writing in Jim Lyons, I'd encourage any liberty people in Mass to do the same.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-05-2013, 08:06 AM

+rep That was brilliant. ;)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4jJpGdZe-EHm4xEjvdCZRhfkPt7o6L9PKKvqn985_eI4E1uhqQIVhlMcD-w