PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Off Police Officers Constitutional, Federal Court Affirms

Anti Federalist
01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Flipping Off Police Officers Constitutional, Federal Court Affirms

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/flip-off-police_n_2403563.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

WASHINGTON -- A police officer can't pull you over and arrest you just because you gave him the finger, a federal appeals court declared Thursday.

In a 14-page opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that the "ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity."

John Swartz and his wife Judy Mayton-Swartz had sued two police officers who arrested Swartz in May 2006 after he flipped off an officer who was using a radar device at an intersection in St. Johnsville, N.Y. Swartz was later charged with a violation of New York's disorderly conduct statute, but the charges were dismissed on speedy trial grounds.

A federal judge in the Northern District of New York granted summary judgement to the officers in July 2011, but the Court of Appeals on Thursday erased that decision and ordered the lower court to take up the case again.

Richard Insogna, the officer who stopped Swartz and his wife when they arrived at their destination, claimed he pulled the couple over because he believed Swartz was "trying to get my attention for some reason." The appeals court didn't buy that explanation, ruling that the "nearly universal recognition that this gesture is an insult deprives such an interpretation of reasonableness."

Occam's Banana
01-04-2013, 02:58 AM
A police officer can't pull you over and arrest you just because you gave him the finger, a federal appeals court declared Thursday.

Well. THAT's a load off ...

I can rest easy tonight knowing that if I wake up shot by a cop it will be because he decided he smelled pot from outside my door or thought he heard my toilet flushing - and NOT because I told him to to "read between the lines".

In a 14-page opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that the "ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity."

Let's play a game! Fill in the blank: "____________ when it takes 14 pages to explain why people should not be forbidden to flip off a cop."

Here's my entry: "You know legal positivism has annihilated the last tattered shred of justice"

A federal judge in the Northern District of New York granted summary judgement to the officers in July 2011, but the Court of Appeals on Thursday erased that decision and ordered the lower court to take up the case again.

So for all that, the matter hasn't really been settled after all ...

Matt Collins
01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't try this outside of that circuit though as it may not be legal in other jurisdictions yet.

BAllen
01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't try this outside of that circuit though as it may not be legal in other jurisdictions yet.

Right! Cop pulls you over and says it's a hundred bucks for that broken headlight. You say, "what broken headlight". Smash! THAT one!

otherone
01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Don't forget "DWB" (driving while black), BAllen!

NCGOPer_for_Paul
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
This is actually very timely for me. I was given a citation for "blocking traffic" which was issued not necessarily for blocking traffic, but for yelling at a cop. I paid $100, took "traffic school", and the citation is supposed to be dismissed on Monday.

I'm wondering if based on this ruling, if I can get my case completely expunged and force the county to refund my $100?

Have a call into the lawyer handing the case.

sailingaway
01-04-2013, 10:15 AM

I should hope not.

But look deeper. This was dismissed on SPEEDY TRIAL grounds.

Just exactly how long was this guy in jail for this?

Occam's Banana
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
But look deeper. This was dismissed on SPEEDY TRIAL grounds.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29391325.jpg

Matt Collins
01-04-2013, 08:23 PM
When a court rules it legal, that only applies to their jurisdiction, unless the Supreme Court takes it up and also rules the same way.