PDA

View Full Version : John Boehner re-elected Speaker

itshappening
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Boehner won a bare majority in a vote that saw nine Republicans vote for other GOP members, and several others who abstained from voting or voted "present." Two years ago, Boehner won all 241 available GOP votes.

In a vote that opened the 113th Congress, Boehner received 220 votes, compared to 192 for Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), the minority leader. Fourteen members voted for other candidates or present. Boehner needed 218 votes to win reelection.

Defectors from Boehner included Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), who voted for Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho). Rep. Steve Pearce (R-N.M.) and two freshmen, Reps. Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.) and Ted Yoho (R-Fla.), all voted for Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), but Cantor himself voted for Boehner.

Reps. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) voted for outgoing member Allen West (R-Fla.). Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.) voted for former Comptroller General David Walker. Speakers of the House do not have to be members of the House, although historically they all have been.

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) voted for Amash, and Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) voted for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio).

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/275419-boehner-re-elected-speaker-with-some-gop-defections#ixzz2GwTERQc0

itshappening
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Steve Stockman (R-TX) was the "present" vote

AJ Antimony
01-03-2013, 01:28 PM
So much for those rumors saying Republicans had the numbers to prevent a Boehner victory.

Lucille
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Weeper of the House.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01753/boehner-reuters_1753277c.jpg

itshappening
01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
He won it by 2-3 votes.

He didn't restore the "purged" members but did make the following concession:

-
Boehner loyalist Rep. Darrell Issa announced the subcommittee chairmanships for the powerful Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Notable conservative Reps. Jason Chaffetz and Jim Jordan won chairman's gavels on the committee.
-

Obviously that wasn't enough for 13 Republicans.

nobody's_hero
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Well we can't even hold them accountable then.

It sucks because without any way to hold them accountable from within the GOP, our only alternative is to see Boehner beat by a democrat.

Tod
01-03-2013, 01:51 PM
In case anyone had any doubts that the Tea Party is dead and rotting, they are surely aware of reality now.

itshappening
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
In case anyone had any doubts that the Tea Party is dead and rotting, they are surely aware of reality now.

I dont think it's dead. It's just very hard - if not impossible - to pull off a coup against a Speaker.

itshappening
01-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Even Gingrich won his speaker election after the midterm drubbing in 96 and lots of anger at him.

He lasted only a year after that and then they tossed him out so this doesn't mean it's over.

I still think Boehner is on borrowed time and that the TEA party should stay involved in the GOP especially for the 2014 primaries.

Matt Collins
01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
In case anyone had any doubts that the Tea Party is dead and rotting, they are surely aware of reality now.2014 may be a banner year for the tea party, let's just see

Spikender
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Even Gingrich won his speaker election after the midterm drubbing in 96 and lots of anger at him.

He lasted only a year after that and then they tossed him out so this doesn't mean it's over.

I still think Boehner is on borrowed time and that the TEA party should stay involved in the GOP especially for the 2014 primaries.

Good point. Still, this is more than a little disheartening, to say the least.

kathy88
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
2014 may be a banner year for the tea party, let's just seewhich tea party would that be Matt? The one we started that got taken over by the neocons or the one the psycho Christian social issues folk started?

itshappening
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Good point. Still, this is more than a little disheartening, to say the least.

He was never going to lose. The Speaker has a lot of weapons at his disposal to ensure he stays in power for as long as possible. If he continues the sell outs - as I suspect he will - then he won't last much longer.

Spikender
01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
He was never going to lose. The Speaker has a lot of weapons at his disposal to ensure he stays in power for as long as possible. If he continues the sell outs - as I suspect he will - then he won't last much longer.

Hey, I like to stay positive about everything, so I guess I just get disappointed more often. But what you said is my next new hope: Boehner won't last much longer now. He's truly living on borrowed time. Or should I say Speaking on borrowed time?

sailingaway
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Hey, I like to stay positive about everything, so I guess I just get disappointed more often. But what you said is my next new hope: Boehner won't last much longer now. He's truly living on borrowed time. Or should I say Speaking on borrowed time?

gingrich survived his vote, but not the session....

itshappening
01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
The 9 defections he got is a reminder that there is discontent in the ranks over what he's been doing. If he doesn't learn from that then they will only get stronger. Boehner cannot rule with an iron fist and hope to get away with it. He has to listen to his members or he will end up like Gingrich who was elected in 97 as Speaker with about the same amount of defections as Boehner just got and he lasted a year before they threw him out.

Spikender
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
gingrich survived his vote, but not the session....

Yeah, that's what itshappening was saying earlier, and that's why I've still got hope. Just needed a small reminder that this isn't the end of the war, but just one battle.

itshappening
01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
it's just the start, there will be many battles ahead in this CONgress

Michigan11
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Interesting, sort of like a prelude of what is building up for 2014 in my opinion. This movement is gaining momentum that can't be stopped and will soon run over the establishment

John F Kennedy III
01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Lol. The dog and pony show continues. Just that the pony has the same name it did in yesterday's show.

jbauer
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
2014 may be a banner year for the tea party, let's just see

It will require re-branding if thats going to happen. The phrase "tea-party" is despised by to many people these days for there to be a resurgence.

itshappening
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
why is it despised? it's only despised by the liberal media who seek an enemy to rail against and crush.

People know the tea partiers are just average people and there's more tea party groups than ever before.

Plus the "tea party" in surveys have a higher approval rating than either the GOP or the Democrats.

Bastiat's The Law
01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
why is it despised? it's only despised by the liberal media who seek an enemy to rail against and crush.

People know the tea partiers are just average people and there's more tea party groups than ever before.

Plus the "tea party" in surveys have a higher approval rating than either the GOP or the Democrats.
This is very true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QYlEYZE1uk

Full Video (http://www.cato.org/events/tea-party-three-principles)

tsai3904
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Roll call vote for Speaker:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll002.xml

Matt Collins
01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
It will require re-branding if thats going to happen. The phrase "tea-party" is despised by to many people these days for there to be a resurgence.Not to the Republican base.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
which tea party would that be Matt? The one we started that got taken over by the neocons or the one the psycho Christian social issues folk started?

I suppose that will depend on us. If we sit on the sidelines and just gripe about what others are doing, then yeah, every damn thing will be "taken over".

John F Kennedy III
01-03-2013, 05:28 PM

It's despised because they turned into neo-con lites. They're called Teo-cons for a very good reason.

LibertyEagle
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
It's despised because they turned into neo-con lites. They're called Teo-cons for a very good reason.

There is no "they". They are all individuals. Some get the full deal and some only get part of it. If we had wanted to keep it true, we should have gotten more involved. Instead we just sat here and bitched. Hell, we could have setup our own tea party group. Setup events, invited speakers... the whole nine years. But, we didn't.