PDA

View Full Version : The next Allen West?

tsai3904
01-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Tom Cotton (AR-4) served in Iraq and Afghanistan, was endorsed by John McCain and Mike Huckabee and is loved by the Tea Party.

Here's his op-ed on the potential appointment of Chuck Hagel to be Secretary of Defense.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB1000 1424127887324461604578189641405993124.html&ei=8SPlUJLBPMOjiALgzYDQCg&usg=AFQjCNFKWs9Qchb4lRAZcwSKYDv8EerQaA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE

supermario21
01-03-2013, 01:11 AM
At least he's not a chicken hawk. This means if someone educates him while he's in DC he just might come around.

itshappening
01-03-2013, 02:21 AM
this guy is a terrible political hack. I don't see why the "tea party" love him. He'll never voted to cut a penny from defense.

BucksforPaul
01-03-2013, 04:08 AM
This means if someone educates him while he's in DC he just might come around.

Lol I needed to laugh, thank you.

juleswin
01-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Lol I needed to laugh, thank you.

Yup, a few more rounds of disappointments and betrayals is all is going to take to more discerning when it comes to judging these politicians.

Spoa
01-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Tom Cotton (AR-4) served in Iraq and Afghanistan, was endorsed by John McCain and Mike Huckabee and is loved by the Tea Party.

Here's his op-ed on the potential appointment of Chuck Hagel to be Secretary of Defense.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB1000 1424127887324461604578189641405993124.html&ei=8SPlUJLBPMOjiALgzYDQCg&usg=AFQjCNFKWs9Qchb4lRAZcwSKYDv8EerQaA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE

I supported Rep-Elect Tom Cotton in the primary and general election. Unlike Rep. West, he stated this on his campaign website:

While we must stay mindful of wasteful spending—often driven by congressional earmarks and politicians’ desire for reelection, not by military strategy—we cannot gut the military to pay for failed stimulus plans, ObamaCare, or other liberal programs.

and also he said this:

And we must always protect America’s sovereignty against encroachment by the United Nations and other international bodies.

I think he'll be better than a lot of you think. Being willing to accept that there is waste in the Defense Dept. is a good first step.

juleswin
01-03-2013, 06:57 AM
I think he'll be better than a lot of you think. Being willing to accept that there is waste in the Defense Dept. is a good first step.

Like Ron Paul used to say, we dont need to tinker around the edges anymore. We do need to gut the military and along with many other programs. Even Obama believes that there is waste in the welfare programs that can be cut. In this era of massive debts and perpetual budget deficits, its time to gut programs.

compromise
01-03-2013, 07:07 AM

He's worse than Allen West. Allen West originally campaigned as a non-interventionist who wanted to end nation building and stop occupying other countries, this guy is going crazy right off the bat, even before he's assumed office.

juleswin
01-03-2013, 07:33 AM
He's worse than Allen West. Allen West originally campaigned as a non-interventionist who wanted to end nation building and stop occupying other countries, this guy is going crazy right off the bat, even before he's assumed office.

I dunno about that, personally I want my pols to be as honest as possible with their legislative intentions, no tricks, likes or con games. On that ground alone, he is better than West.

Bastiat's The Law
01-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Just saw his interview on C-SPAN and Cotton came across pretty horrible on the issues. He won't look into Defense spending and supports prosecuting the war on drugs, even called Mexico a national security issue. Sounded interventionist to me the way he worded it. He'll also be supporting Boehner and spoke glowing of him, yuck!

Side note: He's Harvard educated and very well-spoken; certainly has a command of the issues. If he is an enemy of liberty this doesn't bode well for us. I hope our guys get to him first and show him grass is greener on our side.

Best case scenario: He becomes a Jeff Flake type republican.

Worst case scenario: He's John McCain with a brain, which is quite scary to fathom.

Spoa
01-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Like Ron Paul used to say, we dont need to tinker around the edges anymore. We do need to gut the military and along with many other programs. Even Obama believes that there is waste in the welfare programs that can be cut. In this era of massive debts and perpetual budget deficits, its time to gut programs.

There is a difference between cutting, gutting, and tinkering.

Cutting: Making sufficient and needed cuts. Stopping ridiculous programs that don't make any sense in the Defense Department. Closing bases that are useless, and stopping earmarks that are given from the Defense Dept. The idea of being like Switzerland.

Tinkering: Cutting a little here and there, but making no true cuts. No elimination of any programs.

Gutting: Ending the Department of Defense. Stopping pay for members of the US military, closing bases everywhere.

I do not support tinkering, but I don't support gutting the entire program. I do support true spending cuts and that is what I expect.

juleswin
01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
There is a difference between cutting, gutting, and tinkering.

Cutting: Making sufficient and needed cuts. Stopping ridiculous programs that don't make any sense in the Defense Department. Closing bases that are useless, and stopping earmarks that are given from the Defense Dept. The idea of being like Switzerland.

Tinkering: Cutting a little here and there, but making no true cuts. No elimination of any programs.

Gutting: Ending the Department of Defense. Stopping pay for members of the US military, closing bases everywhere.

I do not support tinkering, but I don't support gutting the entire program. I do support true spending cuts and that is what I expect.

And I will agree with those definitions that cutting will be better than gutting the military. I don't want to end the DoD or stop paying soldiers pay or benefits but I have a feeling that Tom Cotton's definition of gutting the military is less severe that yours. Remember, I cannot prove it but my guess is that it is somewhere between continuing the current space of increases and 2012 levels i.e no increases

Spoa
01-03-2013, 07:56 AM
And I will agree with those definitions that cutting will be better than gutting the military. I don't want to end the DoD or stop paying soldiers pay or benefits but I have a feeling that Tom Cotton's definition of gutting the military is less severe that yours. Remember, I cannot prove it but my guess is that it is somewhere between continuing the current space of increases and 2012 levels i.e no increases

Thanks. I just wanted that clarified. While I may not agree with the wars, soldiers shouldn't be punished for the bad choices of elected officials. On Congressman Cotton, I hope he'll vote for reductions in the Defense Dept. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

jmdrake
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
We needed, in other words, the "surge." In his lowest political moment, President George W. Bush had his finest hour. He kept faith with the troops he had sent to war. Mr. Hagel, on the other hand, called the surge "the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam" and broke faith with those troops. In the Senate, he helped in early 2007 to delay emergency funding for the war. He then voted for a measure to force withdrawal from Iraq.

Enough to know I could never support this guy.