PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut town destroying violent video games, handing out $25 gift certificate

aGameOfThrones
01-02-2013, 11:12 PM
In the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut shooting, one small town in Connecticut is holding a drive to collect and destroy violent video games. The voluntary drive hopes people in the community will at least talk with their kids and better understand the games that they are playing. If parents would like, they can bring in a violent video game and exchange it for a $25 gift certificate at their local drive-in movies.

The town of Southington will collect, destroy, and later incinerate the disks of violent movies, games, and music. The drive, which takes place on January 12, is organized by SouthingtonSOS, a group that formed after Katrina to quickly organize the community after a national or local tragedy.

"There are youngsters who appear to be consumed with violent video games," Southington School superintendent Joe Erardi said. "I'm not certain if that's a good thing. If this encourages one courageous conversation with a parent and their child, then it's a success.

"We're suggesting that for parents who have a child or children who play violent video games, to first of all view the games. We're asking parents to better understand what their child is doing. Have a conversation about next steps. If parents are comfortable (with their child's gaming habits), we're comfortable."

The $25 gift certificate is being donated by the Chamber of Commerce and is intended to be used on an alternative form of entertainment, such as a local movie or waterpark.

"The group's action is not intended to be construed as statement declaring that violent video games were the cause of the shocking violence in Newtown on December 14th," according to a statement from the organization. "Rather, SouthingtonSOS is saying is that there is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and Movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying. Social and political commentators, as well as elected officials including the president, are attributing violent crime to many factors including inadequate gun control laws, a culture of violence and a recreational culture of violence."

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/27596/connecticut_town_collecting_and_destroying_violent _video_games_handing_out_25_gift_certificate_in_ex change/index.html#pLvmxbsKeFkDuqSK.99

bolil
01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I've logged, literally, HUNDREDS of hours on violent video games and have never in my life acted violently outside of self defense. Nor would I ever. My dad taught me better than to aggress.

Dad- "Save your aggression for when you need it, and there will be times you will need it."

shane77m
01-02-2013, 11:27 PM
$25 gift card. That is more than you can get on a trade in at Gamestop. I have some crappy games I would give them.

Keith and stuff
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM
$25 gift card. That is more than you can get on a trade in at Gamestop. I have some crappy games I would give them.

Unfortunately, it only seems to be 1 game per person. Otherwise, I'd go down there too. Heck, people could go to Gamestop and likely find old GTA or COD games for a few dollars.

alucard13mmfmj
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM
so in theory, i can buy 5 dollar bargin bin violent games and then turn it in for a 25 dollar gift certificate?

tangent4ronpaul
01-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Yeah, but the gift certificate is for a drive in movie. Trade in a use many, interactive shoot-um-up for a view once non-interactive shoot-um-up.

What we really need to do is hold a SSRI buy back! Hell, hold them all over the country, advertize them and invite the press!

-t

Occam's Banana
01-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Connecticut town destroying violent video games, handing out $25 gift certificate

"The group's action is not intended to be construed as statement declaring that violent video games were the cause of the shocking violence in Newtown on December 14th," according to a statement from the organization. "Rather, SouthingtonSOS is saying is that there is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and Movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying. Social and political commentators, as well as elected officials including the president, are attributing violent crime to many factors including inadequate gun control laws, a culture of violence and a recreational culture of violence."

IOW: "We're not saying it was video games ... but it was video games."

ghengis86
01-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Good for that town. A voluntary effort to educate. I don't think violent games turn kids into killers, but it does desensitize them. Ours is a terribly violent society and any effort to examine it should be encouraged. It's almost like these violent video games emulate a certain government's foreign policy...and domestic police state...

bolil
01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Good for that town. A voluntary effort to educate. I don't think violent games turn kids into killers, but it does desensitize them. Ours is a terribly violent society and any effort to examine it should be encouraged. It's almost like these violent video games emulate a certain government's foreign policy...and domestic police state...

You are correct. I am 100% anti aggressive war, but I like to play the games. I satisfies something in me that might be otherwise be satisfied with active involvement. Ron Paul isn't president, so I am not bound by oath to enlist anymore.

John F Kennedy III
01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
We should organize a politician buy back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiQ5TexMl78&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For my birthday, buy me a politician.

akforme
01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Totally misguided because video games aren't violent. I have yet to hear a case of GTA committing GTA.

How is the chamber of commerce getting the money to donate this?

jkob
01-03-2013, 12:13 AM
get a $25 gift card to see some violent movie in theaters! Yay!

Philhelm
01-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Would Super Mario Bros. count? It has animal cruelty at the least.

Humanae Libertas
01-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Do these folks realize they're just going to turn in their crappy video games and buy another video game with that?

RonPaulFanInGA
01-03-2013, 04:40 AM
so in theory, i can buy 5 dollar bargin bin violent games and then turn it in for a 25 dollar gift certificate?

Well, it would have to be a violent game. You're not going to fool them with Super Mario Tennis.

Antischism
01-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Video games don't kill people. People kill people.
They would have just watched violent movies instead!
They'll get violent video games one way or another.
Violent video games actually keep people from doing the real thing!
Are we going to ban people from going outside and seeing fights break out on the street now?
Are we going to ban newspapers and news channels from showing and reporting on our destructive, murderous foreign policy?

How about our supposed "leaders" start leading by example, and stop the murder of innocents overseas?

Shut up about the video games, and start demanding a non-interventionist foreign policy.

V3n
01-03-2013, 07:21 AM
The town of Southington will collect, destroy, and later incinerate the disks of violent movies, games, and music.

They said these things about comic books too..
http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/9/a5/9a5c37d57781fa8d6190297bd23e47c1-orig

Another group of people had a similar idea..
http://www.ushmm.org/lcmedia/photo/wlc/image/alpha/bb160.jpg

These people need to just let it go. Burning video games is not the answer.

tod evans
01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Ah, let 'em burn games if that's what they want to do.

Just so long as it's voluntary...

I'd imagine it'll prove nothing other than they wasted a bunch of time and made themselves feel good.

jkr
01-03-2013, 08:47 AM
meh
TRON> all shooting games...combined

VBRonPaulFan
01-03-2013, 09:30 AM

+1, I have some old shitty games I would totally trade in for that gift card.

NIU Students for Liberty
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7mrQFo23_A

Occam's Banana
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
These people need to just let it go. Burning video games is not the answer.

But ... but ... it makes them feel good! It proves that they care! They are "doing something" ... what could be more important than that?

You are apparently one of those "problem --> solution" people. That's so silly & old-fashioned!

We live in a "problem --> reaction" world today. Get with the program!

acptulsa
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
But ... but ... it makes them feel good! It proves that they care! They are "doing something" ... what could be more important than that?

Climate change.

Dozens of cars at a drive in theater in Connecticut in January. How much carbon will they burn to keep themselves warm? Dozens of plastic discs burned in a bonfire. How many strange and destructive chemicals will be released?

Aren't liberals wonderful? They get their panties in a knot about something and they completely forget what they had their panties in a knot about yesterday. And it's so much fun to call them out on it, too.

coastie
01-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Do people really still think all of this came about as fast as they learned it during a week of primary school?

http://www.picvalley.net/u/2988/20805932011320036561357242584najRhSk393piVUGiMHDA. JPG (http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2988/20805932011320036561357242584najRhSk393piVUGiMHDA. JPG)

Yes. Yes they do.

Romulus
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Next they can burn some witches too...

nobody's_hero
01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I think you can get a copy of Call of Duty for about three dollars, lol.'

Hopefully they'll not try to ban upcoming games. Anyone seen the trailers for GTA 5? It's gonna be awesome.

Cowlesy
01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
get a $25 gift card to see some violent movie in theaters! Yay!

lololol that was precisely what I was thinking.

Hey at least it's all voluntary.