PDA

View Full Version : David Seaman Q&A with Liberty Forums

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm with the David Seaman for Congress campaign and I was wondering if there would be any interest in setting up a Q&A where David comes on and answers all of your questions? If your not familiar with David he is running for Congress in Florida and is a frequent guest on both Adam VS the Man and the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast. I'll post some youtube links of his at the bottom of this post. Please let me know if there is any interest for this and I will coordinate with David and set something up, thanks.

David on Joe Rogan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiIuaEDIno

David on Adam Kokesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ6ncDnQnYY

thoughtomator
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Sure I'd be interested

SpreadOfLiberty
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
What party is he running as?

Smart3
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM
While Seaman has about the same shot as John Dennis, I respect his desire to run even with insurmountable odds. A Q&A is a good idea.

deadfish
01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I would be interested, but I already follow the twitter updates and support the campaign. I doubt that the Q&A would translate to any real votes or donations. Appreciate the effort though.

My question would be: How does the campaign intend to compete against campaigns that have much more funding to spend on ads in tv/radio, mass mailings, etc.?

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
He is currently running as an independent.

Just spoke with David and he will be on here next Wednesday at 7 PM to talk with you guys, So please post all of your questions in this thread.

John F Kennedy III
01-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Just spoke with David and he will be on here next Wednesday at 7 PM to talk with you guys, So please post all of your questions in this thread.

7PM in what time zone?

SpreadOfLiberty
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
No offense, but if he is running as an independent I am not interested.

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Sorry about that, 7 PM Eastern

torchbearer
01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
What party is he running as? you'd think the first question would be, 'what are his principles?', but i understand how years of media indoctrination can lead you to see the highest value question as that of party affiliation(or lack of).
superficial.

thoughtomator
01-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Why is that a problem for you? I'm pretty heavily involved in the GOP these days and I don't have a problem with it.

Smart3
01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
It's not as if a Republican would win in that district anyways. Even with 20 million dollars.

torchbearer
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
It's not as if a Republican would win in that district anyways. Even with 20 million dollars. then run as a democrat.
run in anyway that improves your chances of winning.

Smart3
01-02-2013, 07:59 PM
then run as a democrat.
run in anyway that improves your chances of winning.
Challenging one of the most well-known Democrats in the primary will only end in major failure.

Adrock
01-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Running as an Independent in a D+11 PVI district against the DNC Chairwoman is about as steep a hill as you could climb.
I appreciate him running but it seems like it will be an educational campaign at best.

torchbearer
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Challenging one of the most well-known Democrats in the primary will only end in major failure.

ok, then i assume the general make up of voters in his district vote independent?

if not, if he can't take out a dem in a dem primary in a dem district, it will be hard to convince dem voters to vote for an indie.

don't count on low turn outs. precincts that are polling places should be your focus and move out from there.

deadfish
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
In an effort to stay on topic, I put forth the following question to David's Campaign.

Why run independent and not Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, etc?

Any other questions out there?

Bastiat's The Law
01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Running independent = D.O.A.

Running in D+11 PVI district against the DNC Chairwoman = D.O.A.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Why is that a problem for you? I'm pretty heavily involved in the GOP these days and I don't have a problem with it.I don't have a problem with it, but there is no reason for me to care if he wins if he doesn't care about it himself.

And I don't want to hear about educational campaigning. All people pay attention to in House races are the amount of signs there are.

thoughtomator
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't have a problem with it, but there is no reason for me to care if he wins if he doesn't care about it himself.

Independent candidates can win if they do it right. Seaman is getting started early enough to do that. Independents have won governor's seats and Senate seats, a House seat is not an impossible task. I don't think writing him off because he chooses to run as an independent is a logical position to take.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Independent candidates can win if they do it right. Seaman is getting started early enough to do that. Independents have won governor's seats and Senate seats, a House seat is not an impossible task. I don't think writing him off because he chooses to run as an independent is a logical position to take.

Except this is the DNC chairwoman's district, and he is not a rich billionaire.

sailingaway
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM

Thanks.

For those who don't know him, David Seaman was better known here as a writer with Business Insider who endorsed Ron Paul due to Ron Paul's stance on NDAA and civil liberties, primarily (at least that is what he mentioned in the endorsement article.) I have posted his web page here before.

He is VERY good on civil liberties, and if you have a twitter account you should follow him and you'll get an idea.

sailingaway
01-02-2013, 10:33 PM

If we can make noise with him, he is saying really good things. If he was in my area, I'd put some effort and support into it. I likely will donate to some extent, then see how it goes, given he is the nation away from me. But if you care about NDAA and FISA etc, so does he, seriously care about it.

Bastiat's The Law
01-02-2013, 10:40 PM
How many of those independent candidates previous held elected office under a major party? A great many. They had a record and a name that could counteract the fragility of running independent. They also had a constituency for fund raising that would follow them and give millions to their campaign coffers.

Someone compared this to John Dennis, that comparison is spot on. We need to be smarter than this.

sailingaway
01-02-2013, 11:02 PM
How many of those independent candidates previous held elected office under a major party? A great many. They had a record and a name that could counteract the fragility of running independent. They also had a constituency for fund raising that would follow them and give millions to their campaign coffers.

Someone compared this to John Dennis, that comparison is spot on. We need to be smarter than this.

One goal many of us have, which you may not share, is getting the things that need to be said into the limelight. That is separate from getting people elected, and when they can be done in tandem, terrific. but sometimes those running for office who are widely viewed as having a chance to win don't want to be the one to cause a stink, yet a stink needs to be raised. And who knows? It may end up as it did with Kerry, with self destruction of the favored candidate, and the person Johnny-on-the-spot having the only chance left. Meanwhile maybe he can push her to have to address his issues, or get them in the limelight, while building a name for himself. Some individuals may be interested in putting time into this. If you aren't, that's fine, of course.

Also, since this guy is a writer, he has other uses after the election. We need media, too.

You might be interested to know that in his endorsement of Ron last year he called Ron and Rand a 'father and son Constitution protection team.'

thoughtomator
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM

Florida's Speaker of the House just got ousted in his own district. Stop trying to make the task look harder than it is.

Seaman's chances certainly wouldn't improve trying to work uphill from within the Dem party.

jolynna
01-04-2013, 02:50 PM
I have followed David Seaman on twitter since way before the election. So do a lot of other people...some with massive followings. Glenn Greenwald quotes Seaman all of the time. While Greenwald was not a Ron Paul supporter, I still admire how he's gone against the so-called progressive crowd I used to think he was part of and regularly calls Obama out for being a war-monger and anti-liberty. I think sometimes Greenwald ventures into dangerous ground (I'd be looking over my shoulder if I was brave enough to say the things he does using my real life identity) but he SAYS what he believes and since I started reading his articles, Greenwald has ALWAYS taken the higher moral ground. David Seaman, likewise, is moral to the core, only with a more libertarian bent.

David Seaman is special. I followed his fight against the NDAA and wanted to cry because of all the apathy and nastiness that he got back in return for fighting for our liberties. My son gets deployed to the middle east to prop up a corrupt tyrant and to keep the poppies growing so that central banks can profit from drug laundered money and THAT is called fighting for freedom while Seaman took heat because he fought for and STILL LOST his battle for Americans to keep their fourth, fifth and sixth amendment rights. NO FOREIGN COUNTRY TOOK AWAY OUR FREEDOMS. Our government did. And we LET them. As a mother with a child with a child who could be killed in on foreign soil...supposedly fighting for rights our fellow countrymen GAVE AWAY...that fact is almost unbearable.

Seaman is a man who walks the walk he preaches and whether he makes it into congress or not, I will always hold him in the highest regard.

Thanks to the person who set up the Q & A session with him. I wish MORE people could be as idealistic and sacrificing.

All of this post is my opinion only.

SpreadOfLiberty
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I agree with education, but I would argue that people don't care what House candidates have to say to them, especially independents.

There are for more effective ways to get the message out if that is the goal.

Bastiat's The Law
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
One goal many of us have, which you may not share, is getting the things that need to be said into the limelight. That is separate from getting people elected, and when they can be done in tandem, terrific. but sometimes those running for office who are widely viewed as having a chance to win don't want to be the one to cause a stink, yet a stink needs to be raised. And who knows? It may end up as it did with Kerry, with self destruction of the favored candidate, and the person Johnny-on-the-spot having the only chance left. Meanwhile maybe he can push her to have to address his issues, or get them in the limelight, while building a name for himself. Some individuals may be interested in putting time into this. If you aren't, that's fine, of course.

Also, since this guy is a writer, he has other uses after the election. We need media, too.

You might be interested to know that in his endorsement of Ron last year he called Ron and Rand a 'father and son Constitution protection team.'
She won't debate him or even meet him in public. This will get as much air time as Dennis did in San Fran.

jolynna
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
It isn't JUST about winning.

Seaman has a great message and a lot of courage.

I read what he has to say EVERY SINGLE DAY. And so do a LOT of other people. Many of those "other" people are featured in publications that get HUGE exposure. Like the Guardian. And at least one of Seaman's more famous followers quotes Seaman a LOT.
"

sailingaway
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
She won't debate him or even meet him in public. This will get as much air time as Dennis did in San Fran.

Then you don't need to get involve,d but neither do you need to shoot down what others want to do with their own time and money.

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Hey guys just wanted to post a reminder that David will be on here at 7 PM ET tomorrow for a Q&A so if you have any questions you can post them in the thread. I know David is very excited about coming on and talking with you guys. Thanks everyone.

sailingaway
01-08-2013, 01:05 PM
That's 4 a.m. here, but I look forward to reading it later! Make sure to ask him to describe his attitude towards NDAA,Patriot Act, FISA, and you might want to post some of his article links. Like maybe the one where he endorsed Ron.

Brian4Liberty
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Is his District an Open Primary?

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
David here. Hello everyone! Thanks for your time and thoughtful questions. Unfortunately due to a scheduling conflict I'm gonna have to jump on this a bit early and hopefully answer most of your questions right now - beautiful sunny day here in Florida and I'm expected at the Broward County Libertarian meet-up at 6:45pm, which clearly conflicts with this. (I'm not a Libertarian, by the way, although I side with their limited government views on many issues. I'm running as an Independent - the miracle of Internet fundraising makes a main party ticket unnecessary, and even undesirable in some cases.)

my stances-

Marijuana: Immediate execution without trial for anyone who has tried, or plans to try, or might be in proximity to anyone who plans to try the devil's lettuce. I'm kidding, of course. I believe our existing federal drug policy is profoundly unjust, expensive, opaque and has no constitutional basis. I believe in decriminalization and legalization for marijuana use.

NDAA, FISA, HR 347 and other oppressive 'police state' legislation: Strongly oppose. Without self-aggrandizing here, I'm sometimes credited as being one of the first journalists & public personalities to beat the anti-NDAA drum. Specifically, I took issue with the indefinite detention language, which aside from being unconstitutional is just plain scary. Also took issue with the massive amount of defense spending this annual bill authorizes, with very little public oversight, input, or media scrutiny. The 2013 NDAA authorizes $633,000,000,000 in spending, yet gets very little mainstream media discussion - even when they are talking about our deficit problem! It's crazy!

TSA, warrantless spying of American citizens, Patriot Act renewal in 2011: Strongly oppose. Disgusting waste of taxpayer money, abuse of power, and unconstitutional to boot. We can keep American soil safe, and our airports secure, without invading the privacy of millions of people daily. We can track terrorist threats, without the wholesale warrantless logging of innocent peoples' text messages, emails, etc.

logistics, campaign's chances, etc-

Can we win? This seems to be at the heart of some of your questions. I respect skepticism in general, and understand that people new to hearing about me and about our team would want some serious 'buy in' before committing time, energy, or money to helping us get into Congress.

The short answer is yes, we can win, and we intend to! I didn't get into this as a protest, or as an education campaign. I got into this to take back a seat in Congress from corporatist, career politicians who seem to have no sense of duty or responsibility when it comes to protecting our Constitutional rights.

Why run against Debbie? This is where I live, I didn't specifically single her out or anything, she happens to be the current Representative in my district. I believe the fight to restore liberty begins in our own backyards, and where others see a slightly crazy challenge, I see an incredible opportunity to run a smart campaign‚Ķ raise awareness for the issues‚Ķ and send her into the private sector or retirement for good in 2014.

Money? Ability to generate media? We have a huge opportunity in starting so early. Thus far, contributions from individuals have run a wide range of amounts. We've received a $2,500 contribution (the legal max per person), $500 contributions, and a whole bunch of $100 and less contributions.

The campaign also has a large and growing footprint of committed online supporters who are in it for the long haul. At time of writing this, we've got 28,638 followers between my Google+, Twitter, and Facebook accts. More people if you count newsletters and stuff like that.

Also have a podcast on iTunes, the David Seaman Hour, that has a vast audience and from time to time ranks as one of their top news/politics podcasts.

The campaign's site is http://davidseamanforcongress.com - I'd encourage you to check us out, give a little bit of cash if you can, and spread the word.

We have an unbelievably smart and talented team in place, for which I am beyond grateful, and it seems like almost every day we are bringing someone new on board with unique experiences and with the same commitment to liberty that I know you guys share.

I look forward to being another voice for liberty in the United States House of Representatives.

I have to leave the computer at this point to jump into a couple of meetings, if you have any other questions or want to say hi I'm @d_seaman on Twitter. Will do my very best to answer all of them throughout the day, always have my phone on me.

Thanks for your time and generosity!!

David

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Also, I will check back here later tonight or early a.m. tomorrow and answer any other questions that roll in!

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Hi, I thought you were going to be on at 4 am my time, this is better! Could you please post a couple of your civil liberties podcasts here for people to check out as they come in? We have people come here in cycles.

DavidSeaman4Congress
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
sailingaway, sure!

An appearance on G4TV's Attack of the Show talking about warrantless tracking of Americans:
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/60340/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-trapwire-surveillance-system/

Here's an appearance I did on RT (one of several) talking about loss of civil liberties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXDar_AFBg

Here's my appearance on Australia's most popular news show:
http://belligerentact.org/news/2012/8/david-seaman-on-trapwire.html

...for people who prefer a longer podcast, during the recent episode w/ Andy Surabian on iTunes we talked about NDAA and the campaign in-depth.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/david-seaman-hour!-full/id561245422

sailingaway
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank you!

Folks, I've followed him for a while on twitter and he is always beating media over the head to report on NDAA, etc.

Brian4Liberty
01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi David, most of us will certainly support your effort and your positions. Good luck, and give them hell! ;)

Being the resident skeptic and realist, IMHO, Debbie will only be replaced if she volunteers to leave for some reason, or has such a huge scandal that she is defeated in a Primary. If that happens, I predict that only a Democrat will win in the General Election. For example, even if a no name Democrat were to replace Debbie, that Democrat will most likely win in the General, based on nothing more than the (D) next to their name. So when the time comes that Debbie leaves or is vulnerable in the Primary, running as a Democrat will be a huge advantage. It probably won't matter in 2014, but when the time comes, being in a position to take the Democrat mantle will be important. Cultivate those Democrat connections! But hey, that's always part of the plan when running as an (I) anyway. ;)