PDA

View Full Version : Senate Voted on ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Bill 3 Minutes After Receiving It

green73
01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
he U.S. Senate voted 89-8 to approve legislation to avoid the fiscal cliff despite having only 3 minutes to read the 154-page bill and budget score.

Multiple Senate sources have confirmed to CNSNews.com that senators received the bill at approximately 1:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2013 – a mere three minutes before they voted to approve it at 1:39 AM.

The bill is 154-pages and includes several provisions that are unrelated to the fiscal cliff, including repealing a section of ObamaCare, extending the wind-energy tax credit, and a rum tax subsidy deal for Puerto Rican rum makers.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/senate-voted-fiscal-cliff-bill-3-minutes-after-receiving-it

tangent4ronpaul
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
A page a second! - WOW! that's some impressive speed reading!

Oh wait... that's right. They don't read the bills they vote on. :rolleyes:

What is this about repealing a part of Obamacare? What part?

What "brands" of rum? If I'm going to get taxed twice for it, might as well get the cheaper shelf price...

-t

Brian4Liberty
01-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Deliberative body my ass.

Confederate
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I think every senator is given a course on speed reading right after they're sworn in.

Spikender
01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Crock of shit.

That's all this is. I'm sick of this type of crap, and I'm sick of my ignorant friends defending these wastes of air. Seriously, what the hell? How can anyone take our politicians seriously for even a second. How does one read a 154 page bill in three minutes? They don't. Hell, they probably didn't even glance at the bill. They were probably too busy adjusting their belts and filing their nails in order to look good when they voted for the bill.

Screw this. I was in a good mood today too. Oh well, RPF tends to suck away good feelings anyhow.

nobody's_hero
01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
I have heard senators say that the reason they're elected for 6 years is so that they can make tough decisions without suffering serious voter blowback.

I think the length of terms for U.S. senators should be reduced to . . . . 3 minutes.

tod evans
01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Bar the doors and let 'em eat one-another..:eek:

tangent4ronpaul
01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
I think every senator is given a course on speed reading right after they're sworn in.

What really happens is that they take bills and divide them up for their staff to read. Then they are briefed on the cliff notes version and pointed to any sections that cause concern of the actual bill. This obviously didn't happen in this case.

Given the timing, it is unlikely that more than a handful of them were sober when they voted on it, anyway.

We need a "voting under the influence" law with STIFF penalties!

-t

tod evans
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
We need a "voting under the influence" law with STIFF penalties!

-t

Like Vlad?

Brett85
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I probably would've just voted "present" on it if I didn't actually have time to read it.