PDA

View Full Version : School suspends 6-year-old boy who pointed finger, said 'pow'

green73
01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
A Montgomery County [Maryland] elementary school student was suspended for a pretend gunshot a week after Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

The 6-year-old, who attends Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Silver Spring, made a gun with his hands, pointed it at another student and said "pow," according to Robin Ficker, the boy's attorney. He was given a one-day suspension, with a conference on the matter planned for Jan. 2, the day students return to school from winter break.

cont
http://washingtonexaminer.com/montco-school-suspends-6-year-old-for-pretend-gunshot/article/2517080?utm_campaign=obinsite#.UOQ-0_X6mIl

tod evans
01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Refresh my memory please...

Why are public lynchings illegal?

CaptUSA
01-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Ban fingers.

jclay2
01-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Ban fingers.

I think a more effective way would be to ducktape shut the mouth of every child. How can you opperate a finger gun without ammo? This should work as long as silencers have not been introduced into the imaginations of these children.

Dr.3D
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
When I was a kid, I would put a Band-aid on the end of my finger so it didn't make any noise when I fired it.

cgainey
01-02-2013, 10:08 AM
My 6 year old son is in 1st grade and has autism (more on the aspergers side) they gave him 1 day of in school suspension and 1 day out of school suspension for saying to another kid "Stop or I will cut your head off". The context was another kid was jumping in the puddles and my son wanted him to stop.

Lucille
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/129982.html

...Public schools are run by feminists, especially in wealthy areas. Why would any parents submit their little boy to these boy-hating indoctrination academies?

thoughtomator
01-02-2013, 10:49 AM
It would be ironic and not at all surprising if the kid learned that behavior from one of the celebrities now doing anti-gun propaganda.

Confederate
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Ban fingers.

Ban children, that way they can't grow up to be serial killers. Problem solved.

RonPaulFanInGA
01-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Ban fingers.

But his hands are not over the 10-finger limit; they're not assault hands.

Czolgosz
01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
When I was a kid, I would put a Band-aid on the end of my finger so it didn't make any noise when I fired it.

lol'd

Confederate
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Homemade suppressor! I hope you paid the $200 tax stamp to the ATF.

Dr.3D
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
lol'd
Now I have to wonder, if the kid had put an orange Band-aid on the end of his finger, would that count as being a toy pistol?

Czolgosz
01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Now I have to wonder, if the kid had put an orange Band-aid on the end of his finger, would that count as being a toy pistol?

Oh stop. :D

madengr
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
My 6 year old son is in 1st grade and has autism (more on the aspergers side) they gave him 1 day of in school suspension and 1 day out of school suspension for saying to another kid "Stop or I will cut your head off". The context was another kid was jumping in the puddles and my son wanted him to stop.

My 4 year old son was pretending to cut mine, and his 7 year old sister's, head off last night. Of course this is his favorite book (it was mine as a kid too). Grendel gets his arm torn off, Grendel's mom gets her head cut off, Medusa gets her head cut off, the Chimera get's arrows down it's throat, Green Knight gets his head cut off, you get the picture. They don't publish kids' books like these any more. Of course he got a "William Tell cross bow" and "big giant sword" for Christmas too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XaIrhBsEL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Athan
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Refresh my memory please...

Why are public lynchings illegal?
See link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Jesse_Washington

Confederate
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
My 4 year old son was pretending to cut mine, and his 7 year old sister's, head off last night. Of course this is his favorite book (it was mine as a kid too). Grendel gets his arm torn off, Grendel's mom gets her head cut off, Medusa gets her head cut off, the Chimera get's arrows down it's throat, Green Knight gets his head cut off, you get the picture. They don't publish kids' books like these any more. Of course he got a "William Tell cross bow" and "big giant sword" for Christmas too.

Quick! Someone call CPS for him raising his son as a boy!!!

Don't you know, boys these days are supposed to be playing with Easy Bake Ovens and ponies.

Dr.3D
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Don't you know, boys these days are supposed to be playing with Easy Bake Ovens and My Little Pony.ponies.
Fixed it for you.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/My_Little_Pony_G4_logo.svg

Confederate
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
If I ever were to catch my future son with my little ponies, I'd smack him so hard he'd have flashbacks every time he sees a horse for the rest of his life.

Spikender
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
^ The idiocy levels in this thread just shot through the roof.

All the band-aid silencer jokes are funny, but the story is both sad and nothing new. Is there anything that can be done about this? As a parent I mean. If my son is sent home one day because some punk teacher said he and his friends were pointing their fingers at each other and going "bang bang pow", what the hell should my reaction be? I mean, I'd be tempted to go and smack the teacher across the head, but that's certainly not something I should do. So what would be a good course of action? Lay down and take it and let my son think that fingers are dangerous weapons?

tod evans
01-02-2013, 02:06 PM

All the band-aid silencer jokes are funny, but the story is both sad and nothing new. Is there anything that can be done about this? As a parent I mean. If my son is sent home one day because some punk teacher said he and his friends were pointing their fingers at each other and going "bang bang pow", what the hell should my reaction be? I mean, I'd be tempted to go and smack the teacher across the head, but that's certainly not something I should do. So what would be a good course of action? Lay down and take it and let my son think that fingers are dangerous weapons?

You've mentioned two reactions neither of which really makes sense....

Figuring out how to get your child out of an environment like that would be my first thought....Private school/home school, change location to a rural area......

The mind warp taking place in schools like the one mentioned is far more damaging to a kid than getting their ass paddled...

Spikender
01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
You've mentioned two reactions neither of which really makes sense....

Figuring out how to get your child out of an environment like that would be my first thought....Private school/home school, change location to a rural area......

The mind warp taking place in schools like the one mentioned is far more damaging to a kid than getting their ass paddled...

True. I don't exactly what you get by the "two reactions" part of your statement though.

Roxi
01-02-2013, 06:35 PM
If I ever were to catch my future son with my little ponies, I'd smack him so hard he'd have flashbacks every time he sees a horse for the rest of his life.

What? You don't want your son to be a brony? (That's a real thing.. Google it).

Confederate
01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
What? You don't want your son to be a brony? (That's a real thing.. Google it).

Hell no.

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
i only played with my sister's little ponies to pretend I was killing them with my toy guns. The MLP-ies could serve a useful purpose for your future son in that way. :D /evil

Confederate
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
i only played with my sister's little ponies to pretend I was killing them with my toy guns.

Killing animals is the first sign of sociopathy....

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Hell no.
w00t! We need fewer wimps/boys-that-shave among the "grown-ups" and more men. :cool:

Spikender
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
i only played with my sister's little ponies to pretend I was killing them with my toy guns. The MLP-ies could serve a useful purpose for your future son in that way. :D /evil

Ha, that sounds like my uncle. He used to play barbies with my mother just so that he could have his GI Joes get into gun fights with them. xD

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Even for sport and food? WTF? When I was young, men commonly made trophies of the bucks they shot for sport and/or dinner. But that was a rather rural Ohio town. Perhaps you grew up in the city where that is "uncouth". :P Or perhaps torture. Torturing animals is absolutely a sign of sociopathy. (see the numerous cop kills dogs/owner threads)

Spikender
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Wow, I'm glad that's what you took away from that humorous little story and not a boy just having some fun with some toys...

Confederate
01-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Wow, I'm glad that's what you took away from that humorous little story and not a boy just having some fun with some toys...

I'm just teasing HB. He knows that.

Spikender
01-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Damn, wasted my one snide comment of the day on someone just teasing someone else.

Oh well, carry on.

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Да! Молодец! :D Y'all should probably know that Confederate and I tease each other like this all the time. :cool: He always gives me teh giggles. :D:D

Spikender
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Да! Молодец! :D Y'all should probably know that Confederate and I tease each other like this all the time. :cool:

Fraid not. Guess I just haven't been paying that much attention to your friendly teasing I s'pose. T'was a mistake, and I promise it won't happen again, comrades. :)

american.swan
01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
This story makes me chuckle. What stupidity.

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Fraid not. Guess I just haven't been paying that much attention to your friendly teasing I s'pose. T'was a mistake, and I promise it won't happen again, comrades. :)
Thou art forgiven. We also play on FB and RevBox...so you missed some that way.

tod evans
01-02-2013, 07:10 PM

True. I don't exactly what you get by the "two reactions" part of your statement though.

Highlighted what I thought could be two reactions...

Spikender
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Thou art forgiven. We also play on FB and RevBox...so you missed some that way.

Ah, I see. I've been debating whether or not to actually check out Revbox, but I guess I might just have to eventually. Guess I'll just have to sit back, relax, and grab some popcorn instead of shooting off my mouth next time! Or my fingers, in this case. xD

Spikender
01-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Highlighted what I thought could be two reactions...

The part about me smacking a teacher is what I'd like to do.

The part about me laying down and letting my son learn his "lesson" is what I thought I might do in reality since I have no idea how I'd really react to such a ludicrous event.

Sorry about the confusion.

madengr
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Don't you know, boys these days are supposed to be playing with Easy Bake Ovens and ponies.

The other night we put an apple on the head of his sister's American Girl doll and played William Tell with the cross bow.

This zero tolerance shit primarily exists in public school. I was picking him up from preschool (pre-K through 3rd grade private school) and the kids were making Lego guns and shooting each other. The teacher just tells them to stop, simple as that.

kathy88
01-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Don't you know, boys these days are supposed to be playing with Easy Bake Ovens and ponies.my son does. We are worried.

Dr.3D
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
my son does. We are worried.
One of my sons played with an Easy Bake Oven and now that he is nearly 40, he bakes cookies, cakes, pies, bread and a whole host of things I like to eat. I feel it was a worthwhile investment.

Confederate
01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
One of my sons played with an Easy Bake Oven and now that he is nearly 40, he bakes cookies, cakes, pies, bread and a whole host of things I like to eat. I feel it was a worthwhile investment.

Don't get me wrong, I love baking. I make an awesome apple crumble and lebkuchen (German gingerbread), but boys should be playing with guns and hot wheels, not ponies and barbies.

AGRP
01-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Parents fault for not paying attention to the news about public schools. If a product is crappy then dont buy it.

heavenlyboy34
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
I learned to cook in home ec and from my parents. I let my sis play with the ez bake. The food those things pump out isn't even very good. :P

Cabal
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Cake Boss is a badass. Just saying.

Occam's Banana
01-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Sounds like a "teachable moment" to me ... "Son, this just goes to show that your teachers and their administrators are full of shit. They may suspend you - hell, their kind steals the money I make to take care of you (they call it "taxes") - but don't ever let the system get you down, boy. Don't ever become one of them, and don't ever let them convince you that you are the bad guy. You aren't the bad guy. THEY are ..."

pcosmar
01-02-2013, 11:49 PM
So what would be a good course of action?

Remove your child from that Degenerate Environment.
That is the only logical action.

bolil
01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
My batman whooped the shit out of some barbies in the day. Kidnappings, decapitations, no sexual assault.

Origanalist
01-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a "teachable moment" to me ... "Son, this just goes to show that your teachers and their administrators are full of shit. They may suspend you - hell, their kind steals the money I make to take care of you (they call it "taxes") - but don't ever let the system get you down, boy. Don't ever become one of them, and don't ever let them convince you that you are the bad guy. You aren't the bad guy. THEY are ..."

And me fresh out of rep for you....:rolleyes: This^^^ and then follow pcosmars advice and get them out of there while they still have their sanity.

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
My batman whooped the shit out of some barbies in the day. Kidnappings, decapitations, no sexual assault.
None? You did it wrong.

Confederate
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
None? You did it wrong.

Killing horses, sexually assaulting barbies...all the warning signs were there...

tod evans
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
And me fresh out of rep for you....:rolleyes: This^^^ and then follow pcosmars advice and get them out of there while they still have their sanity.

covered.

acptulsa
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
You know what the problem is? Either the politically correct and other insane people go running to lawyers far, far too often or we sane people don't go running to lawyers anywhere near often enough. Perhaps we should all get lawyers on retainer, and sue for every insane suspension. You know, all that mental anguish and all those attempts to permenantly disparage the characters of our children should be worth something. People are scared of their lawyers; obviously it's past time we made them scared of our lawyers.

Fight fire with fire.

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Killing horses, sexually assaulting barbies...all the warning signs were there... lolz :D As if you didn't do it. :rolleyes:

Confederate
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
lolz :D As if you didn't do it. :rolleyes:

I only have a brother so no barbies in my house.

jmdrake
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Okay. Anybody over 30 who played "cops and robbers" as a kid raise your had....but if you do be prepared to face the wrath of the nanny state.

green73
01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Okay. Anybody over 30 who played "cops and robbers" as a kid raise your had....but if you do be prepared to face the wrath of the nanny state.

We had BB gun fights.

Dr.3D
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Heck we played cowboys and Indians. Guess that would be politically incorrect nowadays. "Pow!, you're dead." Of course then there is the obligatory 'fall down' to show you were really dead.

Dr.3D
01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
We had BB gun fights.
I guess paint ball sort of took the place of that. I remember digging out those nasty BB's. It was best to do it in cold weather so a heavy coat would help, but that didn't help when you got hit in the legs or of all places, the butt.

Anybody here have safety razor fights?

Confederate
01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I guess paint ball sort of took the place of that. I remember digging out those nasty BB's. It was best to do it in cold weather so a heavy coat would help, but that didn't help when you got hit in the legs or of all places, the butt.

Or balls.... :/

I got this in the throat once, almost passed out because I couldn't breathe. Also have a big scar on my right hand from getting shot with a frozen paintball.

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I only have a brother so no barbies in my house.
No girls in your neighborhood or at your school's playground?

heavenlyboy34
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Sorta. I preferred nerf wars and such. :cool: :D

Spikender
01-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Anybody here have safety razor fights?

Safety razor fights? No.

Fighting with my friend's dad's real swords that he kept in a display case? Yes.

Neither of us got injured, though, so it's all good. Plus, we felt like total badasses while we were doing it.

Confederate
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
In grade 9 my friends and I would steal all the masking tape from the art room and make maces which would get as hard as rocks. We'd then try and hit each other in the balls.

http://i.imgur.com/P1l9T.jpg?1

Spikender
01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
In grade 9 my friends and I would steal all the masking tape from the art room and make maces which would get as hard as rocks. We'd then try and hit each other in the balls.

Haha, now that sounds like a load of fun. Reminds me of how my brothers and I used to filled up socks with rocks and try to hit each other in the balls with them.

Occam's Banana
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
In grade 9 my friends and I would steal all the masking tape from the art room and make maces [...]

Actually, that's not a mace. It's a morning star. /pedantry

Mace:
http://vocabmadeeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/mace.jpg

Morning star:
http://foam-fighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/morningstar.jpg

Spikender
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Heh, I'm surprised I didn't catch that as well, especially with how obsessed with Medieval times as I am. Kind of reminds me of how peeved I got when I started up this one medieval game and they kept calling halberds pikes.

Confederate
01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the correction Banana. +rep

Occam's Banana
01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Heh, I'm surprised I didn't catch that as well, especially with how obsessed with Medieval times as I am. Kind of reminds me of how peeved I got when I started up this one medieval game and they kept calling halberds pikes.

Undertandable. Polearms are *especially* easy to mix up - pikes, poleaxes, halberds, fauchards, partisans, voulges, glaives, glaives-guisarme, etc,. etc., etc.

Thanks for the correction Banana. +rep

Thanks! I guess all that D&D I did back in the day wasn't a total waste, after all ... ;)

Spikender
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Undertandable. Polearms are *especially* easy to mix up - pikes, poleaxes, halberds, fauchards, partisans, voulges, glaives, glaives-guisarme, etc,. etc., etc.

True, true, especially since the distinctions between many of them seem to be non-existent at first glance.

And hey, D&D certainly helped me out too, I s'pose! :D