PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul leaves Congress as the best known national figure in Texas politics

sailingaway
01-01-2013, 06:45 PM
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/13/50/24/3048724/4/628x471.jpg

Ron Paul, the libertarian from Lake Jackson, might not have been a legislative titan, but the former Air Force medic became the best-known national figure in Texas politics.
/ © 2012 San Antonio Express-News

WASHINGTON — By standard measures, Ron Paul's legislative career in Washington has been unusually unproductive. In 23 years in office, just one of the 613 bills the maverick Texan introduced in Congress was signed into law, a proposal to sell the customs house in Galveston to a local historical association.

That's a futility rate of 99.8 percent.

Just four measures he authored passed the House of Representatives. Only seven ever emerged from House committees.

“Conventional wisdom says I didn't get much done,” the 77-year-old congressman said in an interview. “I didn't get much legislation passed.”

But Ron Paul has never been a conventional politician, and his political career defies conventional analysis. The quirky libertarian from Lake Jackson might not have been a legislative titan. But the former Air Force medic who entered politics four decades ago to protect Americans' individual liberties against government encroachment has managed to become the best-known national figure in Texas politics today.

Paul, who retired from his 14th Congressional District seat this year to focus on his third longshot presidential campaign, has greater name recognition across the country than the state's two influential Republican senators, Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn.

Paul received millions more votes in his 2012 Republican presidential campaign than his home state's powerful governor, Rick Perry. He has attracted more campaign contributors than any Texan not named Bush. And he has more Twitter followers than the rest of the Texas congressional delegation.

Combined.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/Paul-s-quirky-congressional-career-comes-to-a-4154784.php#ixzz2GlWbyoyM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/Paul-s-quirky-congressional-career-comes-to-a-4154784.php

tony m
01-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Combined.

Indeed.

acptulsa
01-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Quirky.

No longer quixotic. He seems to have been promoted.

Occam's Banana
01-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Grrrrrrr ... "quirky" ... (relative to "quixotic", is that a promotion or a demotion?)

sailingaway
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Their bill count ignores bills like the audit the fed bill which passed as an amendment to a larger bill. It was still his bill and had overwhelming support.

acptulsa
01-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Grrrrrrr ... "quirky" ... (relative to "quixotic", is that a promotion or a demotion?)

Bread and butter!

That's just spooky. Shall we chalk it up to great minds think alike?

sailingaway
01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Quirky.

No longer quixotic. He seems to have been promoted.

I changed the title to a line in the article I liked better.

Occam's Banana
01-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Bread and butter!

That's just spooky. Shall we chalk it up to great minds think alike?

We shall indeed! ;):D

Pisces
01-01-2013, 08:18 PM
This article was also on the front page of Sunday's Houston Chronicle. (My Dad still reads the print edition of the Sunday paper every week.)

sailingaway
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
This article was also on the front page of Sunday's Houston Chronicle. (My Dad still reads the print edition of the Sunday paper every week.)

I'm glad. They should damned well appreciate him a bit.

trey4sports
01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
i think his legend is still being written. His most prominent role in American Politics is still to come.

klamath
01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
RP's legacy is yet to be determined. Legislatively he virtually accomplished nothing but his legacy may change the world.

sailingaway
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
RP's legacy is yet to be determined. Legislatively he virtually accomplished nothing but his legacy may change the world.

He got the fed audited enough to raise eyebrows. That is a pretty big accomplishment imho. But I agree his hearts and minds impact is bigger.

sailingaway
01-02-2013, 10:26 AM
bump

Bastiat's The Law
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Such a back-handed article.