PDA

View Full Version : Senators Paul, Lee vote against bill to increase spending and taxes

compromise
01-01-2013, 05:19 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/senate-clears-fiscal-cliff-deal-89-8-85640.html

Passed 89-8.

NAY:
Michael Bennet (D-CO)
Bob Carper (D-DE)
Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Tom Harkin (D-IA)
Mike Lee (R-UT)
Rand Paul (R-KY)
Marco Rubio (R-FL)
Richard Shelby (R-AL)

NOT VOTING:
Jim DeMint (R-SC)
Mark Kirk (R-IL)
Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)

The Dems who voted against it did so because it wasn't a big enough spending increase.

itshappening
01-01-2013, 05:42 AM
And Rubio voted against it. I doubt that was principled, He just didn't want to be on the wrong side.

compromise
01-01-2013, 06:22 AM
And Rubio voted against it. I doubt that was principled, He just didn't want to be on the wrong side.

Here's what he said about it:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/336678/rubio-slams-deal-i-just-couldnt-vote-it-robert-costa

“I just couldn’t vote for it,” Rubio told reporters. “I ran, just two years ago, on the idea that I wanted to be part of solving the long-term problems this country faces. Time and again, we’re given choices here that don’t involve that.”

“The real fiscal cliff is still there,” he said. “We’ll be back here again. In March, we’ll have a showdown like this all over again.”

I think the real reason was that he was scared of Rand calling him out on it in the 2016 primaries.

itshappening
01-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Rubio is being very careful with his votes

alucard13mmfmj
01-01-2013, 06:38 AM
I think Rubio voted no because his vote would not have caused a different outcome anyways... and he needs to look good for the "conservatives".

CaptLouAlbano
01-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Here is a link to the roll call for this morning's "fiscal cliff" deal.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00251

No votes were: Bennet (D-CO); Carper (D-DE); Harkin (D-IA); Grassley (R-IA); Lee (R-UT); Paul (R-KY); Rubio (R-FL); Shelby (R-AL)

DeMint (R-SC); Kirk (R-IL); and Lautenberg (D-NJ) did not vote on the bill.

itshappening
01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
I hate what Rubio is doing, it's so transparent.

itshappening
01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Also I know that Kirk has been ill and Lautenberg is getting old for late night votes but DeMint should show up and vote No. They're still being paid .

itshappening
01-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Shelby and Grassley voted No too, that's a bit silly as if they're sincere...

kathy88
01-01-2013, 09:25 AM
DeMint no show. Interesting.

Confederate
01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
DeMint no show. Interesting.

He hasn't voted all month.

Aratus
01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
curiouser and curiouser...
speaker boehner sent
the House home last nite...

Aratus
01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
the ball is in speaker boehner's court, now!
evidently mitch mcconnell and our sitting potus
cut a BIG deal. didst boehner pull back so as
to amost look independent from the ML of the
Senate even though this is an impossibility?

SpreadOfLiberty
01-01-2013, 04:53 PM
I think Rubio voted no because his vote would not have caused a different outcome anyways... and he needs to look good for the "conservatives".At the same time, I am sure leadership was pissed.

He has actually been pretty fiscally conservative. My problem with him is foreign policy.

sailingaway
01-01-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm a little confused on exactly what the bill does. It doensn't increase taxes, it cuts them, since they would go up automatically otherwise. Does it actually increase spending or does it let automatic already approved spending cuts go ahead?

My main question, is will things be worse or better if nothing passes at all?

compromise
01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
At the same time, I am sure leadership was pissed.

He has actually been pretty fiscally conservative. My problem with him is foreign policy.
And it was his sheer devotion and extremism with regards to foreign policy that lead him to vote against the Rand Paul and Mike Lee budgets, even when he knew they'd fail.

Johnson, Moran, even Thune stomached the military spending cuts because they knew our country needed it. But Rubio had been taught well by his mentor, Lindsey Graham, and knew that even such a small military spending cut would weaken the neoconservative agenda, regardless of what domestic cuts were being made. Those budget votes instantly killed off any hope I had for Rubio.