PDA

View Full Version : Something funny happened on the way to the tyranny

TheTexan
12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.bob-owens.com/2012/12/something-funny-happened-on-the-way-to-the-tyranny/

I dropped my car off this morning at my mechanics, as the clutch appeared to be on it’s last legs. Being a beautiful morning in the mid-40s, I decided to walk home, and soak in some of the small-town downtown ambiance along the way. The sleepy antique stores were not seeing much business, and I nodded to the painting crew who was outlining the wooden window frames of the bakery in brilliant blue paint as I passed by.
Most of the downtown shops, in fact, weren’t doing much business except the two gun stores. I’d been in one several days ago to pick a .22LR for an article I’d be writing for Shooting Illustrated, and decided to stop in at the other to see what the current political environment had left behind.

There were no less than six clerks working feverishly with the dozen or so customers, so I simply stepped to the side and walked the aisles. The cases of ammunition that typically lined the far wall were picked to pieces. There was a 100-round case of .50 BMG, and cases of European shotshells suitable for small game. The .223 Remington, 5.56 NATO, 7.62×39, 7.62 NATO, and 7.62x54R had sold out long ago, along with the bulk 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

A few pump shotguns remained along with a smattering of deer rifles, single-shots, and longer double-barreled shotguns suitable only for trap or skeet. Even the semi-automatic .22LRs, like Ruger 10/22s were gone, along with all but one BX-25 magazine.

The customers in the shop were picking through what remained; lever-action rifles, oddball shotguns, and the smattering of name brand centerfire pistols. One man was attempting to trade in an antique double-barrel shotgun for something more current.

I did speak to one harried clerk, briefly. They didn’t know when they’d be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers were running full-bore, but couldn’t come close to keeping up with market demand.It wasn’t just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that were sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War-era M1 Garands , M1 carbines, and Enfield .303s were gone, along with every last shell. Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants—of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20—were gone. So was their ammo. Only a dust free space marked their passing. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.
I wonder if this is what it felt like during the time of the Powder Alarm (http://totallyhistory.com/powder-alarm/), and fear politicians both sides of the aisle are no more speaking the same language as most Americans as Gage was unable to think like the Colonials. There is an earnestness now on both sides, and a great chance for unintended consequences.

Tread carefully.

cjm
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
good post!

TheTexan
12-31-2012, 05:22 PM
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. -- Claire Wolfe (1996)

Wise woman.

Over 16 years later, that time draws ever closer...

Pericles
12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Money quote worth repeating:

Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants—of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20—were gone. So was their ammo.

Not good news for anyone involved.

shane77m
12-31-2012, 11:16 PM
The thing that remains to be seen is what will happen to all of these weapons that have been sold. Is society preparing for war or maybe most just hoping to make a quick buck on possibly reselling them.

cbrons
12-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Thomas Jefferson on Rebellion:

o “I like a little rebellion now and then.”

o “The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on occasion that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all.”

o “God forbid we should every twenty years be without such a rebellion! What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”

Cody1
12-31-2012, 11:42 PM
The thing that remains to be seen is what will happen to all of these weapons that have been sold. Is society preparing for war or maybe most just hoping to make a quick buck on possibly reselling them.

Within the past two months two really close friends of mine both picked up new fire arms, friend one purchased a Glock 22, the other bought a Century Arms SGL-21 AK-47. During the same time period I purchased a used hi-point 9mm and a Russian SKS for myself and an old .38 special for my mom.

For what it's worth and trying to be unbiased as possible none of us have any inclination of selling our firearms.

cbrons
12-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Quote from that post:

"Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war."

Heh

NewRightLibertarian
12-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks like Americans are onto what their government has in store for them. Good news for liberty, indeed.

Pericles
12-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Get the family pack:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/rifles.jpg

shane77m
12-31-2012, 11:54 PM
What makes me wonder about how many people might be selling their guns if they get grandfathered in under a potential ban is the amount of magazines on Ebay. I wonder what the ratio of people that are ready for what might be coming to people that just want to make a buck?

I am not planning on giving up mine or selling them. I honestly just hope it doesn't come to the point of using them for self defense.

Aeroneous
12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Not good news for anyone involved.

How so? I've had a Mosin for quite a while now and I love that rifle.

Cody1
01-01-2013, 12:05 AM

Mosin's are very good rifles. I was going to get one before I decided to get my sks.

Some people just can't handle shooting a 65 foot long rifle :P

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-01-2013, 12:17 AM

It's not good news for anyone who decides they need one now, and decides they need ammo now. And the fact that places are running out of Mosins says they can't supply better, either. People are not buying Mosins because that's what they want. Mosins are selling out because it's the last, best a lot of people can get right now. Just not good.

Cody1
01-01-2013, 12:24 AM
It's not good news for anyone who decides they need one now, and decides they need ammo now. And the fact that places are running out of Mosins says they can't supply better, either. People are not buying Mosins because that's what they want. Mosins are selling out because it's the last, best a lot of people can get right now. Just not good.

Last I checked they were going for 90 bucks a pop. The local store here in SC was selling them 5 and 10 at a time.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Last I checked they were going for 90 bucks a pop. The local store here in SC was selling them 5 and 10 at a time.

I'm going by the article. That situation sounds a lot better if the last time you checked was recent. (like, last few days....)

Aeroneous
01-01-2013, 12:40 AM

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were saying the Mosin was a bad rifle or something to that effect.

Cody1
01-01-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm going by the article. That situation sounds a lot better if the last time you checked was recent. (like, last few days....)

Oh I was just making a general statement about the availability of Nagant rifles in my area. This was a few weeks ago, things could have changed. I haven't made my way back to the range since then...but yeah, I have always known the Mosin Nagant as the 99 dollar rifle lol

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were saying the Mosin was a bad rifle or something to that effect.

I always figured they were a good value. 6 months ago, anyway. Not sure about now. But we're clearly seeing excess demand for everything right now, and there's no supply to meet it. That is what I'm saying isn't good for anyone involved.

Aeroneous
01-01-2013, 01:06 AM
I always figured they were a good value. 6 months ago, anyway. Not sure about now. But we're clearly seeing excess demand for everything right now, and there's no supply to meet it. That is what I'm saying isn't good for anyone involved.

Didn't look at any of the Nagants last weekend, but there were SKSs going for $700 at my local gun show. I laughed when I saw it, but then stopped laughing because I'm sure some poor guy actually paid that much.

TheTexan
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/bass-pro-shops-out-of-almost-everything-firearms-related/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bass-Pro-Shops-out-of-stock-of-.22s-1613-courtesy-The-Truth-About-Guns.jpg

The Great Gun Buying Sales Surge continues. Actually, that’s not strictly true. The pace of ammunition and firearms sales has slowed to a crawl. The product pipeline has run dry. Bass Pro Shop in Foxboro Massachusetts is sold out of all popular ammo calibers: 9mm, .45, .38, .40, .223 and, get this, .22. As is every Bass Pro Shop in the Northeast. The sales guys report it’s now a case of just-in-time purchasing. “I put ammo on the shelves, I turn around and it’s gone,” a not-so-hassled anymore salesman told me. The firearm situation is no better. ARs? Nope. None. Smith and Wesson handguns are obvious by their absence. OK, there’s one S&W 460. Otherwise, you can have any handgun you want as long as it’s a Ruger revolver or a [very lonely] Walther. Anecdotal evidence suggest the Northeast is not alone. And the Foxboro sales manager reckons there’s no end in sight. Or, more precisely, no start point for attaining normal inventory levels. What are you guys seeing?

shane77m
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
bump

Athan
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Mosin's are very good rifles. I was going to get one before I decided to get my sks.

Some people just can't handle shooting a 65 foot long rifle :P
People that don't like Moist Nuggets and their superior length should give it to me.

shane77m
02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
People that don't like Moist Nuggets and their superior length should give it to me.

If you run out of ammo you can always club the enemy from a good 50 yards away.