PDA

View Full Version : Student loans are the new herpes

Agorism
12-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Student loans are the new herpes

http://www.wcvarones.com/2012/12/student-loans-are-new-herpes.html

New York Times: nobody wants to date a deadbeat:

Lauren Dollard, a 26-year-old assistant at a nonprofit in Houston, said her low credit score had helped to stall her romantic plans. Her boyfriend is wary of marrying her until she can significantly pay down the more than $150,000 she owes in student loans and bolster her credit score, she said.

Ms. Dollard’s credit score is so low, around 600, that she hasn’t been able to qualify for a car loan. She sympathizes with her boyfriend’s position because he “doesn’t ever want to be accountable for the irresponsible financial decision I made,” she said.

..continued on link

heavenlyboy34
12-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Gary North predicted this last year-mid spring IIRC.

heavenlyboy34
12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
As an aside, my dad still had student debt when he met my mom (he was almost 40 then), and she paid his debt off. :eek:

tod evans
12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Whadda ya' mean they've gotta pay it back...:rolleyes:

sailingaway
12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Obama paid his student loans off when he decided to run for president.

Agorism
12-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Is there a way to find out if someone owes a ton of debt and is hiding it from you?

Just asking.

tod evans
12-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Hell I'm almost 53 and still have the GI bill.........Wonder if I should sell the business and sign up for pre-med..

NOT!

heavenlyboy34
12-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Is there a way to find out if someone owes a ton of debt and is hiding it from you?

Just asking.
I'm mildly sure that shows up on a credit report.

Confederate
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I never got a student loan from a hooker.

oyarde
12-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I never got a student loan from a hooker. I borrowed some money from a Hooker once in Lawton Ok in 1983 :) , Redhead.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I borrowed some money from a Hooker once in Lawton Ok in 1983 :) , Redhead.

Please... continue...

ctnjason
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
The truth hurts, I am with a girl right now and we are about to celebrate 11 months together. 5 minutes into our first date i asked "so how much student loan debt do you have?"

If she had 30-50k i MIGHT have been fine but 150k? The girl in the article is an "assistant at a nonprofit" which means she probably went to an expensive school for a useless degree while impressing her friends and family. Yeah.... i would steer clear of that woman also.

oyarde
12-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Please... continue... Probably better I do not, I used to keep clothes at her house.My wife is in the room , lol :)

heavenlyboy34
12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
I never got a student loan from a hooker. Yeah. They have different, classier names for that occupation in Europe where you got yours. ;)

Pauls' Revere
12-30-2012, 09:29 PM
I never got a student loan from a hooker.

LOL

twomp
12-30-2012, 11:16 PM

LOL! I bet Obama's student loan were only a fraction of what student loans are these days though.

jkob
12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
so im a much better catch now

thoughtomator
12-31-2012, 04:09 AM
I predicted this well over a decade ago. A woman with a large amount of un-dischargable debt is unmarriageable.

Tpoints
12-31-2012, 04:43 AM
then what are mortgages? or what is the new AIDS?

Philhelm
12-31-2012, 04:44 AM

Marriage?

thoughtomator
12-31-2012, 05:21 AM

Depends on the nature of the mortgage. If it's the kind they can walk away from (non-recourse), it's not a fatal flaw. If it's the kind that sticks them with the difference for the loss of property value, it's pretty bad - but still not as bad as student loans, as you can BK out mortgage debt and clean the slate.

Student debt is forever - it's indentured servitude.

jclay2
12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
This is definitely happening. My wife graduated last year and she has a couple of friends that are putting off marriage due to their personal student loan situation. The sad thing is that people don't have to go into debt for an education. You can go to community college for half of your credits and transfer to an in state school no problem to finish up your final 2 years. Combine this with entering a field with actual job prospects and your future starts to look positive.

seraphson
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
This is definitely happening. My wife graduated last year and she has a couple of friends that are putting off marriage due to their personal student loan situation. The sad thing is that people don't have to go into debt for an education. You can go to community college for half of your credits and transfer to an in state school no problem to finish up your final 2 years. Combine this with entering a field with actual job prospects and your future starts to look positive.

And this isn't just hypothetical wonderland talk. This is what I did. Guess what? No college debt (under the age of 30 to boot), I got my useless piece of paper that for the most part was a re-hash of "advanced high school" and I'm on my way.

When I was younger I thought college was for the very brightest and talented of individuals. Today if you can wake up from a hang over to drag your ass to class for attendance and are capable of fogging a mirror you can get at least a 3.0 at most colleges. Too bad the idiots that strive for equality realize that to reach equality not everyone necessarily has to step forward but backwards. It's the path of least resistance; the one preferred most by the masses.

VoluntaryAmerican
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
The sad thing is that people don't have to go into debt for an education. You can go to community college for half of your credits and transfer to an in state school no problem to finish up your final 2 years. Combine this with entering a field with actual job prospects and your future starts to look positive.
Yep, this is what I'm doing.

However, enter easy government loans in to the picture and people start making idiotic decisions with "their" money.

oyarde
12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
so im a much better catch now Yes , yes you are :)

torchbearer
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I was expecting a joke-
student loans is the new herpes,
you can't get rid of it and no one talks about it.

KrokHead
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
best article name ever! It'd be one thing if education got you a good job but it's a millstone. If it's real love there's no pricetag but that's up to a couple to determine.

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
And this isn't just hypothetical wonderland talk. This is what I did. Guess what? No college debt (under the age of 30 to boot), I got my useless piece of paper that for the most part was a re-hash of "advanced high school" and I'm on my way.

When I was younger I thought college was for the very brightest and talented of individuals. Today if you can wake up from a hang over to drag your ass to class for attendance and are capable of fogging a mirror you can get at least a 3.0 at most colleges. Too bad the idiots that strive for equality realize that to reach equality not everyone necessarily has to step forward but backwards. It's the path of least resistance; the one preferred most by the masses.
LOL! I was the same way. My cousin did really well in high school and got a free ride scholarship. I got the impression that this meant it takes some serious effort and brain power to get through. Then when I started classes, it wasn't much different from high school except I didn't have to wake up so early and classes were only 3-4 days a week (and the ride is longer). Oh, and the ladies tended to be more attractive. :D

UWDude
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Oh, and the ladies tended to be more attractive. :D

too bad the vast majority of them have herpes.

kcchiefs6465
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
too bad the vast majority of them have herpes.
Actual herpes or student loans?

Danke
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I was expecting a joke-
student loans is the new herpes,
you can't get rid of it and no one talks about it.

They is no reason for a collage gal to have debt, but they may get herpes.

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Not all college gals are as slutty as the ones you hung out with. ;) :(

Confederate
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Unless she's ugly...

dannno
12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
This MTV show is called "I'm a Sugar Baby"

http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-im-a-sugar-baby/1667269/playlist.jhtml

But from what I saw it was a bunch of hot girls trying to trick dudes into paying for their shit without having sex with them.

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
I should have predicted dannnno would show up in a thread that has "herpes" in the title. :D

tttppp
12-31-2012, 02:03 PM

I thought you had to go to school to get student loan debt.

UpperDecker
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM

This x a million. This is something I always tell people, but it seems that going to a CC is "below" too many folks. I am on my way to a business management degree from San Jose State with little to no debt while they are going to be crying about the debt they have saddled themselves with for a less practical degree.

heavenlyboy34
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Unless she's ugly... That's what they invented paper bags for. lulz :D

oyarde
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
I thought you had to go to school to get student loan debt. Not sure , but I doubt it , probably just have to enroll , cash the check ....

UWDude
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
This x a million. This is something I always tell people, but it seems that going to a CC is "below" too many folks. I am on my way to a business management degree from San Jose State with little to no debt while they are going to be crying about the debt they have saddled themselves with for a less practical degree.

Business management really isn't that great of a degree.

UpperDecker
12-31-2012, 02:32 PM

Not everybody can be a scientist, economist, or doctor. It is a useful degree for myself and gives me plenty of options to reach my goals.

jclay2
12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
easy government loans in to the picture and people start making idiotic decisions with "their" money.

Exactly!!! This is the crux of the matter. The easy money, flowing from the government, has completely distorted the market for education. Millions of students that would have normally faced the education decision with limited cash, now see an endless pile of loans to fund whatever they desire. This consequently leads to higher tuition prices from all colleges and consequently more debt. The funny money has considerably helped take the "value" decision out of the equation when deciding which school to attend.

On second note, average students need to retake their basic algebra class. 95 % of prospective students could not tell you how much debt they will graduate after 4 years of education or what their probably job/income prospects will be. But when you try to tell people the truth, many times, they will just shut down and disregard anything you say. My sister in-law just started school last year. Despite me telling her repeated warnings that borrowing 17k/year = 80-90k after graduation = 900 After Tax/Month, she went on her merry way into debt servitude.

Philhelm
12-31-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm glad that Tom Woods majored in history.

tttppp
12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Not sure , but I doubt it , probably just have to enroll , cash the check ....

Really. Explain the process.

Danke
12-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Unless she's ugly...

Just has to work longer.

oyarde
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Really. Explain the process.I can only go by what I see , but pretty sure my office girl does not go to class often , and buys other stuff with some of the money , you can get more than what the class costs .

tttppp
12-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I can only go by what I see , but pretty sure my office girl does not go to class often , and buys other stuff with some of the money , you can get more than what the class costs .

I'd like to know more. I could use tens of thousands in loans I couldnt get anywhere else.

daviddee
01-01-2013, 12:06 AM