PDA

View Full Version : Epic Radio Call-in: On the dole because he doesn't want to get up at 8am for work!!

Cowlesy
12-30-2012, 10:07 AM
There are many times where I do feel bad complaining about the welfare system, as I surely know people who truly need some help, and don't want to be on the system and certainly don't abuse it.

But then, I listen to a caller like this, and feel emboldened to continue attacking said system.

http://order-order.com/2012/12/30/on-the-dole-because-he-didnt-want-to-get-up-at-800-a-m/

Someone should toss this guy in a lake!

Lucille
12-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow. And he says it with no shame at all. There was a time not so long ago when a man would have done anything to stay off the dole.

I told DH if we fell on hard times that I'd clean hotel rooms before I'd accept welfare. And I'd clean those rooms like nobody's business, and be running that dept. inside a year! Weird how some people think they're above certain kinds of work, but they're not above going on welfare.

We have plenty of guys just like that right here in the USSA:

Government Dependents Outnumber Those With Private Sector Jobs In 11 U.S. States
http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-12-29/government-dependents-outnumber-those-private-sector-jobs-11-us-states

America is rapidly becoming a nation of takers. An increasing number of Americans expect the government to take care of them from the cradle to the grave, and they expect the government to dig into the pockets of others in order to pay for it all.

This philosophy can be very seductive, but what happens when the number of takers eventually outnumbers the number of producers? In 11 different U.S. states, the number of government dependents exceeds the number of private sector workers.

This list of states includes some of the biggest states in the country: California, New York, Illinois, Ohio, Maine, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, New Mexico and Hawaii. It is interesting to note that seven of those states were won by Barack Obama on election night. In California, there are 139 "takers" for every 100 private sector workers. That is crazy! The American people have become absolutely addicted to government money, and it gets worse with each passing year. If you can believe it, entitlements accounted for 62 percent of all federal spending in fiscal year 2012. It would be one thing if we could afford all of this spending, but unfortunately we simply cannot. We are drowning in debt, and we are stealing more than a hundred million more dollars from future generations with each passing hour. No bank robber in history can match that kind of theft.

Yes, we will always need a safety net. There are many people out there that simply cannot take care of themselves. We certainly don't want to see anyone sleeping in the streets or starving to death.

But if the number of people jumping on to the safety net continues to grow at the current pace, the net will break and it will not be available for any of us.
[...]

"Everyone takes, nobody makes, work doesn't pay, indulgence doesn't cost, money is free, and money is worthless."

green73
12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Sadly, there are many, many in the UK like this guy.

oyarde
12-30-2012, 12:39 PM
There are many times where I do feel bad complaining about the welfare system, as I surely know people who truly need some help, and don't want to be on the system and certainly don't abuse it.

But then, I listen to a caller like this, and feel emboldened to continue attacking said system.

http://order-order.com/2012/12/30/on-the-dole-because-he-didnt-want-to-get-up-at-800-a-m/

Someone should toss this guy in a lake!

I never feel bad about attacking the system, if I get even close , I drop off a few cans at the local volunteer , church , food bank.

oyarde
12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
In fact , I plant to attack it some more :) , never surrender to the thieves!

cbrons
12-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Sadly, there are many, many in the UK like this guy.

And in the US...

Cowlesy
12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
And in the US...

For a while I thought the guy was putting her on (some anti-welfare propaganda), but the caller was definitely clueless to the host of logical fallacies he was unloading on the host.

And her getting outraged in that stiff-upper-lip british way was great.

heavenlyboy34
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
I had to listen at this link http://www.lbc.co.uk/listen-jobless-man-who-refuses-to-get-up-at-8am-64710 because the OP didn't work for me. JFWIW.

anaconda
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe the caller would prefer swing shift hours. 8 A.M. isn't for everybody.

Seraphim
12-30-2012, 04:37 PM
"What's the point in working for low wages?"

Welcome to the moral hazard of welfare.

I'm glad the radio host ripped him a new ass hole. Maybe now she'll attempt to stop welfare, not "reform" it. I CANNOT be reformed.

Seraphim
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM

I'm glad the radio host ripped him a new ass hole. Maybe now she'll attempt to stop welfare, not "reform" it. It CANNOT be reformed.

CaptUSA
12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't want anyone thinking I'm defending this guy because he is obviously an asshat, but I find it hard to blame him entirely.

This is what happens to people when they become dependent. They no longer see their "benefits" as coming from someone else. The longer someone is in dependency, the more ridiculous they will sound to anyone who is not dependent. I can't really blame the victims of the system - I have to blame the system. Realize that he's still an asshat for allowing himself to become a victim, but it's the system that allowed him to survive with this attitude.

AGRP
12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Get to work slave! The banks we fought to bail out with your hard earned money depend on you!

Dogsoldier
12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm for self sufficiency...We live in a world where if you don't hold a job your looked at as a lazy bum. We have this crazy idea that everyone has to "contribute to society". I don't know where this came from.If I own my own land and grow my own food,live off the grid and choose not to have a job and be a tax slave what is wrong with that?

I sorta understand when he says why work for small wages...

If I'm gonna be a tax slave then I expect to be paid well and if I won't be paid well then I would rather live self sufficient and live free.

But then they hit you with "property taxes" forcing you to have a need for money and "contribute to society".

Brian4Liberty
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
It's a typical mindset of the welfare recipient and bums. They don't want to work, period. They want what they want, and they want it now. Very short term thinking. They turn down all kinds of things if it doesn't suit them. For example, they don't want dry beans, they want chili from a can. It's too hard to cook anything that isn't instant. They don't want standard Mac and Cheese where you have to cook the noodles, they want the kind that you just pour hot water in or microwave. If you give them bread, meat, and mustard, they will say "can't you just give me a sandwich?"

VIDEODROME
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
I think there may be more to it then just getting up early. It has to do with the low pay. But it also goes beyond these two details. The caller basically said "What is the point?".

All the radio host points out is it's the principal of taking from the system. So from the caller's point of view if he took a crap job it would just be switching roles where the Employer takes from him by underpaying for his labor and time. Well that would be his skewed perseption of it anyway. The failure here I think is the caller has no vision and can't see the point. He probably imagines that even if he took a crap job he'd work there for years and probably not advance and he might be correct to.

He needs a better Street Smart education on how a person can improve and educate themselves. That obviously just putting in time hoping for raises probably isn't enough. This is probably the only thing he's figured out so far. He doesn't see work experience itself as having value. Or how to network. Or gain education using work place resources. Maybe come in to work on his own time for free to job shadow for example. I think that is how dishwashers can become cooks or managers and I think most people have no clue. This may be due to education systems turning out worker drones that seriously lack critical thinking ability.

Brian4Liberty
12-30-2012, 05:36 PM

Exactly.

Why work if the government will pay you to do nothing?

Brian4Liberty
12-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Want a marshmallow?

In 1972, Stanford University’s Walter Mischel sat 600 children down at a table with a marshmallow and gave them a choice: They could eat one marshmallow now, or wait 15 minutes and get two marshmallows.

The ability to hold out for the latter correlated with greater success and self control later in life, leaving most students in Psych 101 to assume the immediate marshmallow eaters were destined for failure.

But perhaps not! A team of researchers at the University of Rochester revisited the marshmallow experiment. And what they found was that the ability to delay gratification isn’t just a hardwired, innate skill. Quite the opposite. Behavioral cues play a big role in determining who holds out for that second marshmallow,*and the results call into question how much self-control actually has to do with it.

The Rochester researchers once again got a bunch of kids into a room. But they did something a bit different. Right before giving the kid a marshmallow, they would have an encounter with an adult. One would be unreliable; he would promise a bunch of fun art supplies that would never appear. Another would be reliable, delivering the art supplies as promised.

That earlier encounter had a huge influence on kids’ willingness to wait for a second marshmallow. Only one of the 14 children in the unreliable condition held out for the full 15-minute wait. They may have assumed that the second marshmallow, just like the art supplies, was a big lie. More than half of the kids who had just had a reliable encounter, however, made it through the 15-minute wait.

“The results of our study indicate that young children’s*performance on sustained delay-of-gratification tasks can*be strongly influenced by rational decision-making processes,” the researchers conclude.*

In other words, sometimes eating the first marshmallow is actually the more rational approach, based on what the child knows about the situation. Why should an adult who failed to provide promised art supplies, after all, be relied on to deliver a second marshmallow?

“Being able to delay gratification — in this case to wait 15 difficult minutes to earn a second marshmallow — not only reflects a child’s capacity for self-control, it also reflects their belief about the practicality of waiting,” says Celeste Kidd, a doctoral candidate in brain and cognitive sciences at the University of Rochester and lead author on the study.*”Delaying gratification is only the rational choice*if*the child believes a second marshmallow is likely to be delivered after a reasonably short delay.”*

The researchers contend that this could be true on a larger scale. If a child or adult lives in an environment where promises always get broken and outcomes are unreliable, the most rational response is to eat the marshmallow right in front of her —*and not wait for the promised marshmallows of the future.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/10/13/the-marshmallow-test-revisited/

mport1
12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I feel his pain. 8am is really early. I prefer working 9:30 to midnight. Glad I'm working 75+ hours a week to pay for people like that.

LibForestPaul
12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't want anyone thinking I'm defending this guy because he is obviously an asshat, but I find it hard to blame him entirely.

This is what happens to people when they become dependent. They no longer see their "benefits" as coming from someone else. The longer someone is in dependency, the more ridiculous they will sound to anyone who is not dependent. I can't really blame the victims of the system - I have to blame the system. Realize that he's still an asshat for allowing himself to become a victim, but it's the system that allowed him to survive with this attitude.

If I paid into a system, I get to bilk it when I need/want to. Good for him. Keep collecting those checks! Every bit pushes this putrid system closer to the edge.