PDA

View Full Version : Muskegon County Republican Party elects 'Tea Party, Ron Paul-types' as executive officers,

sailingaway
12-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Muskegon County Republican Party elects 'Tea Party, Ron Paul-types' as executive officers, goes more conservative

http://media.mlive.com/chronicle/news_impact/photo/12049002-large.jpg

MUSKEGON COUNTY, MI – The Muskegon County Republican Party is now being led by a more conservative and Libertarian-type executive committee.

Andrew Fink, a Muskegon Community College adjunct instructor of government and a former attorney, is the only holdover on the executive committee, moving up to chairman of the county Republican Party. He and the other newly elected officers apparently have more of a Ron Paul slant to their political thinking.

“Nearly all of the members elected by the precinct delegates are new to the executive committee,” Fink said. “They are anxious to promote the principles of individual freedom and efficient government. They will give the party new life.”

The officers, who were elected during the Republican Party’s December meeting, are: Fink, of Whitehall, chairman; Amy Preston of Norton Shores, vice chairwoman; Brad Shafer of Fruitland Township, secretary; and Eric Rothoff of Twin Lake, treasurer.

The election of officers marks a change for the Muskegon County Republican Party. County Commissioner Bob Scolnik, the senior elected Republican in the county, called it a “direction I’m not 100 percent in favor with."

“It’s pretty much taken over by the Tea Party, Ron Paul-types and Libertarians,” Scolnik said. “I’m more of a moderate, Ronald Reagan-type Republican. I do not believe they represent the mainstream Republican thought.”

Fink previously served as vice chairman of the party, but the others are new to formal leadership in the party. Rothoff, who actively follows Muskegon County government activities, ran unsuccessfully for county treasurer, losing in the general election.

In other words, sour grapes. More at link

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2012/12/muskegon_county_republican_par.html

supermario21
12-30-2012, 12:32 PM
"Moderate, Ronald Reagan-type Republican."

If any one quote validated RP's run on the LP ticket in 88, it's this one. RP is everything Reagan said he would be before he got in. Either way, the outcome here is a success. We are the future of the party. The moderate wing has lied, deceived us, and lost enough elections.

Agorism
12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
hells ya

The election of officers marks a change for the Muskegon County Republican Party. County Commissioner Bob Scolnik, the senior elected Republican in the county, called it a “direction I’m not 100 percent in favor with.”

“It’s pretty much taken over by the Tea Party, Ron Paul-types and Libertarians,” Scolnik said. “I’m more of a moderate, Ronald Reagan-type Republican. I do not believe they represent the mainstream Republican thought.”

Mr.NoSmile
12-31-2012, 09:08 AM
hells ya

This line: “I’m more of a moderate, Ronald Reagan-type Republican. I do not believe they represent the mainstream Republican thought.”

Therein lies their issue. That same 'mainstream Republican thought' is what led to the overwhelming loss in November. It's what led to the splintering of the Republican Party. It's what hopefully lets these people realize that they're not in the same overwhelming majority that they used to be. While wealthy White men may still make the decisions, the demographics are changing. The mainstream Republican thought is what will lead the GOP to more defeats if they don't change from this perspective.