PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul ranked the most conservative Senator of 112th Congress

itshappening
12-29-2012, 09:42 AM
The elder [Ron] Paul was ranked as second most conservative member in the House of Representatives by the multidimensional scaling method created by University of Georgia political science professor Keith Poole and New York University professor Howard Rosenthal.

Dr. Ron Paul was second to Arizona Congressman Jeff Flake (R). Following Flake and Paul as most conservative were Paul Broun of Georgia, Tom Graves also of Georgia and Justin Amash of Michigan.

On the other end of the spectrum in the House was California Democrat Barbara Lee, Michigan’s John Conyers and California Congresswoman Maxine Waters, in that order.

In the Senate, Dr. Rand Paul was ranked the most conservative Senator in the 112th Congress. He is followed by Utah Senator Mike Lee, Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn, South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint and Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey.

The most liberal Senators according to the data were Vermont Independent Bernie Sanders and California Senator Barbara Boxer.

Read more about the data and the methodology at the www.Voteview.com website.

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/ron-and-rand-paul-among-most-conservative-in-112th-congress-according-to-the-dw-nominate-statistical-method-86315/

Brett85
12-29-2012, 09:49 AM
This seems pretty accurate since they also had Mike Lee in 2nd, and Coburn and Demint following. They seemed to have come up with a pretty accurate rating methodology.

Confederate
12-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Flake more conservative than Ron?!?!

Aratus
12-29-2012, 10:21 AM
in a good way or in a bad way? Ron Paul is not a militaristic expansionistic hawk. what votes for good or ill seperate the two?

SpreadOfLiberty
12-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Save this for 2016.

supermario21
12-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Flake more conservative than Ron?!?!

I think they must count earmarks against Ron, as Flake is very anti-earmark.

compromise
12-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Why is Moran so bad and Ayotte so good?

supermario21
12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Plus this is a really good list to sell to our primary voters, the liberty guys are all much more conservative than the Ryan, Rubio clan, etc.

Keith and stuff
12-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Ayotte isn't good. Of course she is better than the average Republican Senator but that isn't saying much. It has her as the 17th least bad Senator. That's terrible. Even the 7th least bad Senator is really bad. It seems the rankings were created by using some program to compare voting records in a certain way. It is all explained on the site.

I wouldn't put too much into the rankings. The info seems OK. I consider a asking which shows Ron Paul on top more accurate :D

Keith and stuff
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Plus this is a really good list to sell to our primary voters, the liberty guys are all much more conservative than the Ryan, Rubio clan, etc.
Check out Rubio. This list makes him look amazing even though he clearly isn't.

compromise
12-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Ayotte isn't good. Of course she is better than the average Republican Senator but that isn't saying much. It has her as the 17th least bad Senator. That's terrible. Even the 7th least bad Senator is really bad. It seems the rankings were created by using some program to compare opting records in a certain way. It is all explained on the site.

But Ayotte ran as a centrist and Moran ran as a conservative, yet this puts Ayotte (and even Graham and Chambliss) as more conservative. Ayotte even beats Crapo. Moran and Crapo were some of the very few who voted for both the Rand Paul and Mike Lee budgets. Rubio, who does very well on this, voted against both the Mike Lee and Rand Paul budgets.

Brett85
12-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Moran is my Senator, and believe me, he isn't all that conservative. I voted for him in the primary against Todd Tiarht, because I felt that Tiarht was even worse. But, while Moran has voted with us on a few things like foreign aid and the Lee-Feinstein amendment, his overall voting record isn't that great. The only chance we have to get a slightly liberty oriented Senator in Kansas is if Roberts retires in 2014 and Huelskamp wins that Senate seat.

Pericles
12-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Moran is my Senator, and believe me, he isn't all that conservative. I voted for him in the primary against Todd Tiarht, because I felt that Tiarht was even worse. But, while Moran has voted with us on a few things like foreign aid and the Lee-Feinstein amendment, his overall voting record isn't that great. The only chance we have to get a slightly liberty oriented Senator in Kansas is if Roberts retires in 2014 and Huelskamp wins that Senate seat.

This Tiahrt? http://protectpolice.org/facts

CaptUSA
12-30-2012, 12:38 AM
It's all about which votes they count.

I have trouble with this type of data. Too many variables go into to each vote in order to describe why each individual voted how they did.

Still, it's nice that it lined up for us this way with the data they decided to use.

jkob
12-30-2012, 01:44 AM
Hopefully this means I won't regret sending Jeff Flake to the senate.

S.Shorland
12-30-2012, 03:20 AM
RE: The Feinstein/Lee amendment.Is it possible that statists like Feinstein table amendments knowing (ie plotting in advance) that they will be removed in committee?Just to enhance their liberty credentials at no risk to their actual agenda.

thoughtomator
12-30-2012, 03:54 AM
found elsewhere:

When I think about Ron Paul, I picture God and Satan having a chess match.

God says, "You can have every Senator and Representative to spread untruth and attempt to convince the people of your lies. But I get to keep one, and he gets to tell the truth, and he has to be allowed to speak."

Satan says, "Deal."

And that's how we got Ron Paul.

Aratus
12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
^^^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THIS~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^