PDA

View Full Version : FL - Cop, arresting man over a traffic violation, shoots man's dog dead.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Mayhaps some justification here if he did in fact get bit.

I'm posting this more for the secondary story in this article about a cop/dog killing that I had missed.

Deputy kills another Hilliard dog

By Garrett Pelican, News-Leader

http://www.fbnewsleader.com/articles/2012/12/27/news/00newsdeputykillsdog.txt

28 Dec. 2012

Nassau County Sheriff's deputies stunned a Hilliard man and killed his dog in his front yard while arresting him on a misdemeanor traffic charge Dec. 13, according to an arrest report.

Deputies Jonathan Booth and Damon Baxley went to a Mulberry Landing Annex residence about 1:30 p.m. to arrest 28-year-old Jack Wesley Tyson for driving on a suspended license the day before.

In the ensuing fray, Booth used a stun gun on Tyson and Baxley shot Tyson's pit bull terrier in the head, killing it, after the dog bit him in the calf, the report said.

The deputy suffered "minor puncture wounds" from the bite, according to the report. Rescue officials looked at Baxley's and Tyson's injuries and released them at the scene.

According to Tyson's arrest report, Baxley saw him driving the evening before, but let him go since Tyson said he was driving his pregnant girlfriend to the hospital. Baxley went to arrest Tyson after Shands Jacksonville staff could not confirm Tyson's story, according to the police report.

Tyson, of 10132 Mulberry Landing Annex, is charged with a second offense of driving while his license is suspended and resisting officers without violence, both misdemeanors. He has had four driving suspensions since 2007, the report said.

It's at least the second police-involved shooting for Baxley.

Sgt. Jon Slebos, a sheriff's deputy previously disciplined for a pattern of shooting dogs, reviewed both cases and cleared Baxley of any fault.

Baxley previously shot and killed a pit bull at a separate Hilliard residence on May 8 during an attempt to arrest the homeowner's daughter, who had, unbeknownst to Baxley, already surrendered to Jacksonville police.

Hilliard resident Darren Wingate accused the Nassau County Sheriff's Office of covering for Baxley in the wake of his dog's shooting.

Wingate heard a faint knock at his back door about 3 p.m. that day and had barely nudged the door open when he heard a boom and saw his best friend, Hoss, reeling from a gunshot wound to the head.

Wingate, 45, said he rushed onto the back porch after the three-year-old pit bull and told his shooter, a Nassau County Sheriff's deputy, "Don't shoot my dog!" moments before the deputy said, "I will," and fired a second and final shot.

Baxley's statement said he was startled by what sounded like a large dog barking and its owner shouting inside the Hilliard home as he backed away from the back door and started to announce himself. He said the door swung open and a large pit bull charged, prompting him to draw his handgun and shoot the dog twice.

Slebos, the reviewing deputy in both instances, was placed on probation and removed from patrol duties in 2001 for shooting five dogs in less than four years, including three that year.

A side note, Baxley is the son of State Rep. Dennis Baxley of Ocala, an author of Florida's controversial Stand Your Ground law that authorizes the use of force, particularly guns, when the shooter believes himself to be threatened by the victim.

aGameOfThrones
12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
S.e.r.i.a.l K.i.l.l.e.r

acptulsa
12-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Whatever happened to police batons? Were they considered too cumbersome because a cop has to remove them from his or her belt before getting in a car? Did the taser lead cops to decide the baton is obsolete?

Give me a good old fashioned cop baton and sic a dog on me, and both of us will survive just fine. I won't be bit and the dog will have nothing more serious than a few aches and pains. Seems to me a nightstick is a system that was not broke, and shouldn't have been fixed.