PDA

View Full Version : Toy Gun Control

aGameOfThrones
12-27-2012, 05:36 PM
As the nation debates gun policy following the mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., some parents are imposing a different kind of gun control*in their own homes: They are taking away their children’s toy guns.

One Chicago mother, Anupy Singla, had been wrestling for months with whether to keep the Nerf revolver-style blasters that her daughters, ages 7 and 10, enjoyed playing with, several times*tossing them into the trash and then retrieving them.

Her indecision ended abruptly on Dec. 14, as she watched the coverage of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20-year-old gunman Adam Lanza killed 26 people and himself after fatally shooting his mother at home.

“It was just something that inside me really snapped,” said Singla, 44, a cookbook author and food writer, and she threw the playthings away.

“It’s me making a decision that this is not something that’s right in our house,” she said. “We don’t believe in playing with something that represents something that could be potentially so dangerous.”

Though experts say that simply playing with a toy gun doesn’t mean a child will become violent, other families, too, were moved by tragedy to weed out their toy chests.

After the shootings, Eileen Zyko Wolter collected about a dozen*toy guns that belong to her sons, ages 4 and 7, and stored them on a high closet shelf.

“I felt like they needed to understand that play guns could lead to real-life consequences,” said Wolter, 41, of Summit, N.J., a blogger. “If you’re aiming a play gun and shooting it, you’re practicing shooting at people.”

And in Decatur, Ga., Shun Melson, a wardrobe stylist, told her 7-year-old son about the killings when he got home that Friday, and posted a photo of his reaction to Twitter. “He said he was very sad and said he never wanted to see another gun and he threw it in the trash,” Melson, 38, said of his toy gun.

http://t.today.com/moms/after-newtown-some-parents-impose-toy-gun-control-1C7657757

tod evans
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I respect their rights as parents to place whatever restrictions on their kids toys that they like.

Good luck imparting the foolishness they're exhibiting to their kids, kids are WAY smarter than that!

Sounds like more feel good/guilty/empower the state type journalism..

talkingpointes
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
When I was a kid we were to broke to have toy guns for the most part. These people are going to need to remove their kids hands because they can represent many things including a gun and a knife.

TheTexan
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
She has a point.... Those toy guns don't teach firearm safety very well, her kids would be better off with 22's

Carson
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Now what? They corral themselves up and wait?

tod evans
12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Now what? They corral themselves up and wait?

Of course, the hired guns will be along shortly..

aGameOfThrones
12-27-2012, 05:47 PM
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/6069570/2/stock-photo-6069570-hand-gesture-pointing-or-gun.jpg

paulbot24
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Or you could teach them to play using the middle finger sticking out instead of the forefinger, just to keep things interesting when police/TSA or anywhere they are in a gun-free zone. That applies to their hands too right?:D