PDA

View Full Version : Trespassing Cops Looking For Fugitive Shoot Fenced-In Dog on Christmas Eve

SeanTX
12-27-2012, 07:51 AM
On that same day I heard about a female Milwaukee cop who was blown away that morning around the same time , and I felt kind of bad about it.

Now, not so much.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/26/hazel-crest-cops-shoot-kill-dog-during-search-for-fugitive/

HAZEL CREST, Ill. (CBS) — The search for a fugitive might have taken a tragic turn; Kenneth Conley escaped from the federal jail in downtown Chicago last week, and one suburban family said the search for Conley claimed the life of their beloved pet.

SNIP

Kobi, a 70-pound Rhodesian Ridgeback mix was shot dead, allegedly by a Hazel Crest police officer.

Chanette Weaver said a police officer told her officers were acting in self-defense when they shot Kobi.

She said she’d just put Kobi in her closed, fenced-in yard at about 6:50 a.m. on Christmas Eve. She said, five minutes later, Hazel Crest police showed up at her door.

“One of the officers said, ‘Ma’am, your dog is dead.’ Heartless,” Weaver said.

“He said, ‘Ma’am, your dog was getting ready to attack one of my officers.’ And they shot him three times,” Weaver said.

SNIP

The Weavers still had Kobi’s wrapped Christmas gifts of dog treats below their tree.

“It’s just devastating, you know?” Weaver said.

The Weaver family has hired an attorney.

SeanTX
12-27-2012, 07:54 AM
I seem to recall another Weaver family that had their dog shot by badged thugs ...

Steve-in-NY
12-27-2012, 08:21 AM
The Weaver family has hired an attorney.
Good.

SeanTX
12-27-2012, 06:06 PM
This used to be a hot topic here, now nobody cares ?

kcchiefs6465
12-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't say no one cares but the fact is that this happens daily. I'm kind of desensitized to dogs being shot when in the last month I have watched 3 videos of men summarily executed. Not that I don't care, but it's just another dead dog. There will be another one tomorrow, and the day after. Thanks for the story anyways. (Not trying to be a dick, just saying why people have stopped responding to every dog killing thread) Now it pretty much takes a miniature dog being shot and/or the homeowner being ticketed to elicit much if any of a discussion.

ETA: As was posted in another thread there was over 250,000 dogs shot and killed by police in 2011. (I believe this to be the year) That's a lot of grieving families. I haven't heard the MSM say a damn thing edgewise about this phenomena.

AFPVet
12-27-2012, 07:44 PM
A dog inside of a fenced enclosure is not a threat. Aside from the fact that many cops carry pepper (which seems to only be used on little women and children), a dog inside of a properly fenced in area is not a threat. Badge wearing thugs seem to be going out of their way to shoot dogs. Remember, sociopaths always start with animals and graduate to humans... that brings up another point... how many humans have we seen unjustifiably shot by thugs wearing uniforms?

Anti Federalist
12-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Jaded, like kcchiefs stated, that which happened today will happen tomorrow as it happened yesterday.

Outside of our narrow little band of refuseniks, not a fuck is given.

Still, thanks for posting.

Working their way up to us.

kcchiefs6465
12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
A dog inside of a fenced enclosure is not a threat. Aside from the fact that many cops carry pepper (which seems to only be used on little women and children), a dog inside of a properly fenced in area is not a threat. Badge wearing thugs seem to be going out of their way to shoot dogs. Remember, sociopaths always start with animals and graduate to humans... that brings up another point... how many humans have we seen unjustifiably shot by thugs wearing uniforms?
Very good question. Let me know how your search on the numbers turns out. (Hint: there are no statistics on that one)

AFPVet
12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Very good question. Let me know how your search on the numbers turns out. (Hint: there are no statistics on that one)

Nope... they usually 'rule' in their favor by an 'impartial' investigation :rolleyes: I can't remember what happened to the execution by the BART officer... did he get any time? Probably not... even when they have been found guilty by internal investigation, they usually get a few years probation.

jmdrake
12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Jaded, like kcchiefs stated, that which happened today will happen tomorrow as it happened yesterday.

Outside of our narrow little band of refuseniks, not a fuck is given.

Still, thanks for posting.

Working their way up to us.

Well this is a reason to keep a lot of dogs. Maybe they'll run out of bullets?

Henry Rogue
12-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I still care. I just don't know what I could add to this thread that hasn't been said before. Even though i may not respond I still read these types of threads and I appreciate the original posting.

ghengis86
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't say no one cares but the fact is that this happens daily. I'm kind of desensitized to dogs being shot when in the last month I have watched 3 videos of men summarily executed. Not that I don't care, but it's just another dead dog. There will be another one tomorrow, and the day after. Thanks for the story anyways. (Not trying to be a dick, just saying why people have stopped responding to every dog killing thread) Now it pretty much takes a miniature dog being shot and/or the homeowner being ticketed to elicit much if any of a discussion.

ETA: As was posted in another thread there was over 250,000 dogs shot and killed by police in 2011. (I believe this to be the year) That's a lot of grieving families. I haven't heard the MSM say a damn thing edgewise about this phenomena.

Link for the 250k dogs killed? Not that I don't doubt it, just need it for the non-believers.

mad cow
12-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I still care. I just don't know what I could add to this thread that hasn't been said before. Even though i may not respond I still read these types of threads and I appreciate the original posting.

Word for word.
+rep.

kcchiefs6465
12-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Link for the 250k dogs killed? Not that I don't doubt it, just need it for the non-believers.
Hopefully AF or Phil can help me with this one. I believe it to be an AP article? So many dog killings I don't know where to begin. I'll edit when I find it if no one else has posted.

Anti Federalist
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM

Hopefully AF or Phil can help me with this one. I believe it to be an AP article? So many dog killings I don't know where to begin. I'll edit when I find it if no one else has posted.

Working on it.

ETA - From KHOU in Texas, the quoted figure is from a former cop and dog trainer named Jim Osorio:

Dog's violent death inspires police training course in Fort Worth

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/175775621.html

Police officers watched the video at the start a new eight-hour course on dealing with dogs during already stressful calls.

Trainer Jim Osorio asks for a show of hands in the police auditorium. "How many people here think they can handle a dog encounter without lethal force? I think all of you can," he said.

Osorio, a former cop, tells them there are dogs in about one in three households — nearly 80 million in all.

He says officers shoot about 250,000 dogs a year... often needlessly.

kcchiefs6465
12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Working on it.

ETA - From KHOU in Texas, the quoted figure is from a former cop and dog trainer named Jim Osorio:

Thanks. I believe that to be the quote I read. It is hard to actually locate the statistics on dogs being shot by cops. It is even harder to sift through the information to find which ones are questionable or for that matter a violation of the Constitution. I am continuing my search for more statistics and again, I will edit when I find more information. Seeing how there are no set records to review the number of questionable shootings of humans (forgive the language of questionable, I am at a blank for better wording.. perhaps unjustified?) I am somewhat in doubt of a way to determine the numbers of dog shootings. (Questionable or not) I am not sure if Osorio is a reliabe source or not. (whether he increases the numbers as a way to promote his dog training and what he is actually sourcing) I apologize for any misrepresentation as I am really not trying to embellish the number of family pets being killed. (I read about a few a day) I quoted off of another thread which source seemed legitimate (to my recollection) and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the number is or exceeds the number quoted.

mport1
12-27-2012, 11:04 PM

Cops kill harmless dogs and innocent humans all the time. It's not really news anymore. They are a violent criminal gang who almost never face repercussions for their actions. What else should we expect from them?

Maybe if we allow them to euthanize dogs from the pound they will have less blood lust for people and their pets? Or will that just get them going even more? For the time being, hopefully people start to realize they should keep themselves and their dogs away from that particular gang.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Heh, maybe this will get the blood boiling:

According to the following blog, the cops opened the gate, which of course, let the dog out, and then they shot it.

They then proceeded to issue a "loose dog" citation to the owners of the now dead dog that they had just shot.

Protected and served the fuck outta those Mundanes, hey?

http://www.chicagonow.com/steve-dales-pet-world/2012/12/shooting-dogs-a-police-epidemic-dog-is-killed-in-hazel-crest/

Hazel Crest police searching for an escaped prisoner from the Metropolitan Correctional Center, traversed back yards in the south Chicago suburb....a Rhodesian Ridgeback (who the owner and others maintain was a friendly dog) was somehow perceived as a threat - and escaped the owner's yard (likely because police opened the gate themselves). And the answer: shoot and kill the dog?

As for the shooting in Hazel Crest, according to WLS-TV reports, the police department had no comment. They did issue the dog's owner, Chanette Weaver, a $50 citation for 'having an animal at large.'