PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Candy Shoppe BUSTED for selling candy cigarettes

Cowlesy
12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
This is one of those inane laws to "protect the children." The Shop was only warned, so the bureaucrat didn't give them grief about it.

And I don't even blame the city on this one, because someone made an "anonymous tip" to the city that they were selling them. So the bureaucrat receiving the tip probably didn't want to get in trouble for non-enforcement.

As much as people think most citizens are freedom-loving, there are always (and you would think it was some social con, but I bet it was a lefty) those people that will tattle-tale for the dumbest things like this.

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/184828741.html?refer=y

Snippet below.

And just what would prompt a bureaucrat to ferret out such nefarious activity?

"Somebody from Bloomington called and reported us," Lynden said. "The whole thing is pretty weird."

Robert Humphrey, spokesman for the city's Safety and Inspections Department, said the complaint came to his agency Dec. 13. An inspector visited Lynden's on Dec. 19 and had the forbidden products immediately removed from the sales floor.

A unanimous City Council outlawed candy smokes and cartoon character lighters in April 2009. The council cited a study showing that these products encouraged youngsters to take up smoking tobacco.

Lynden's Facebook page has collected dozens of comments decrying the enforcement action and the rationale behind it.

Aratus
12-27-2012, 07:20 AM
life is full of these sublime autocratic moments

tod evans
12-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I used to like candy cigarettes back in the 60's....

12-27-2012, 08:08 AM
I loved candy cigarettes as a kid. I don't smoke as an adult.

kathy88
12-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Our local candy store still sells them and I buy them all the time. I love them.

specsaregood
12-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I used to like candy cigarettes back in the 60's....

I was still liking them back in the 80's.

ClydeCoulter
12-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Our local candy store still sells them and I buy them all the time. I love them.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :)

tod evans
12-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I was still liking them back in the 80's.

I was a professional drinker/doper through the 80's.........candy didn't fit my lifestyle then..

TonySutton
12-27-2012, 08:25 AM
I still love candy cigarettes today and also the gum cigs that you can blow through the paper wrapper and smoke (powder) comes out. Yet, I have smoked less than a pack of cigs in my entire life.

KrokHead
12-27-2012, 08:42 AM
I remember in the 1990s vending machines used to sell cigarettes for $3, now you can't even get a candy version!

ClydeCoulter
12-27-2012, 09:21 AM
"Hello? Hello? Yes, there's a place down the road that is selling candy cigarettes"...."Um, are you wanting to buy some?"...."No, no, I want them prosecuted"..."Ummmm, where is your nose right now, sir/ma'am?"...."What? attached to my face"..."Can you keep it there?" click..........

phill4paul
12-27-2012, 10:03 AM
This is one of those inane laws to "protect the children." The Shop was only warned, so the bureaucrat didn't give them grief about it.

And I don't even blame the city on this one, because someone made an "anonymous tip" to the city that they were selling them. So the bureaucrat receiving the tip probably didn't want to get in trouble for non-enforcement.

As much as people think most citizens are freedom-loving, there are always (and you would think it was some social con, but I bet it was a lefty) those people that will tattle-tale for the dumbest things like this.

I have no such delusion.

Dr.3D
12-27-2012, 10:11 AM
I still love candy cigarettes today and also the gum cigs that you can blow through the paper wrapper and smoke (powder) comes out. Yet, I have smoked less than a pack of cigs in my entire life.
I also remember those bubble gum cigarettes. Seems you can still get them on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Bubble-Gum-Cigarettes-Pack/dp/B000IJKSAK

TruckinMike
12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I loved candy cigarettes as a kid. I don't smoke as an adult. Same here - I smoked them all the time! Ha Ha!:)