PDA

View Full Version : RIP Newsweek - dead tree version

tangent4ronpaul
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Turning a Page: Newsweek Ends Print Run
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324660404578201432812202750.html?g oogle_editors_picks=true

Newsweek magazine ended almost 80 years in print with its issue dated Dec. 31 as it transitions to an online-only format, a move that makes it the most widely-read magazine yet to give up on the print media.

On the cover of the magazine, which was released Monday, is a shot of what was its Manhattan office building, with a Twitter hashtag, #lastprintissue, across the front in red.

The magazine had said in October that it would go all digital, and is now part of the news and commentary site The Daily Beast. Tina Brown, who was editor of the magazine, is also the editor of the Daily Beast, which is controlled by IAC/Interactive Corp.

Newsweek's switch is a signpost of how traditional print news outlets are being battered by an exodus of readers and advertisers to the Web.

Since 2005, Newsweek's circulation has dropped by about half to 1.5 million and advertising pages plunged more than 80%, while the magazine's annual losses had lately reached roughly $40 million.

Subscriptions to the new all-digital publication, called Newsweek Global, cost $4.99 for a single copy—the same price as the magazine—or $24.99 for an annual subscription.

(continued at link)

-t

ravedown
12-26-2012, 03:05 PM
well...its a start!

coastie
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
well...its a start!

Start to what? This is just a (technological)sign of the times, imo.

AGRP
12-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Note to self: The Daily Beast = Newsweek

dannno
12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Woohoo!

PaulConventionWV
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
well...its a start!

Do we necessarily WANT the print to die? What good comes of that?

tangent4ronpaul
12-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Well, the department of truth is a lot easier to pull off if everything is digital.

Tens of thousands of Dr. office waiting rooms will become more boring.

Imagine having to buy bird cage liner...

The horror, the horror...

-t

Southron
12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
I can't see myself ever subscribing to a digital magazine.

alucard13mmfmj
12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
The area where I usually work at the post office broke down so I got passed to the area that works with flats (magazines). I basically cut away the plastic and the plastic bands in packages of magazines and placed them in a certain orientation in a bin. I leave the ones that say "firm" in the postal code alone, because those go to the same address like scholastic magazines. Seems like a nice job for 25 dollar an hour for the regulars and older workers.

Anyways I did came across a lot of Newsweek, Money, and Bass Shop. lol.

malkusm
12-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Step 1: Tell liberals that discontinuing their magazines is environmentally conscious and helps fight global warming
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Profit!

tangent4ronpaul
12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Anyways I did came across a lot of Newsweek, Money, and Bass Shop. lol.

How often do you come across, say... High Times, Mother Jones, Playboy, The Mother Earth News and Soldier of Fortune?

-t

Golding
12-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Good riddance.

Zippyjuan
12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I have been a Newsweek subscriber for a long time but they have really been going down hill the last few years (it used to be better that Time, then became about the same and now is worse). I have said to myself I might not renew my subscription each of the last three years but kept it anyways. I will definately not be renewing now. I like something I can read without having to go onto the internet. Not sure what I will read now.

oyarde
12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
I have been a Newsweek subscriber for a long time but they have really been going down hill the last few years (it used to be better that Time, then became about the same and now is worse). I have said to myself I might not renew my subscription each of the last three years but kept it anyways. I will definately not be renewing now. I like something I can read without having to go onto the internet. Not sure what I will read now. Try Fur Fish & Game magazine.

NoOneButPaul
12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
So conflicted...

1) Libertarian part of me says Free Market demands you do this so you better do it to survive...
2) Skeptic in me says this is the beginnings of what Orwell predicted... everything digital... everything libel to be changed and edited so our leaders are never wrong... 20 years from now this last issue might have a totally different headline and people 50 years from now wouldn't have any clue...

Zippyjuan
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Try Fur Fish & Game magazine.

The waters here in SoCal are too warm for Furry Fish to survive.

oyarde
12-26-2012, 10:40 PM
It is very entertaining, you would like it .

NewRightLibertarian
12-26-2012, 10:40 PM
So conflicted...

1) Libertarian part of me says Free Market demands you do this so you better do it to survive...
2) Skeptic in me says this is the beginnings of what Orwell predicted... everything digital... everything libel to be changed and edited so our leaders are never wrong... 20 years from now this last issue might have a totally different headline and people 50 years from now wouldn't have any clue...

Too many people know what's going on for the government to re-write history like that. Their bullshit is coming to an end, hopefully fast. Digital communication isn't something that is helping them.

VoluntaryAmerican
12-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Cutting costs in production will allow Newsweek to focus on other aspects of running the company, I'm sure this means they won't have to cut employees, they may even have extra money to hire better talent/management if that's what they need.

$40 million plus is the cost involved in the physical manufacturing and distribution of the physical product. It's an enormously expensive undertaking that this decision gets us out from under. Newsweek CEO, Baba Shetty.

http://adage.com/article/digital/newsweek-ceo-dumping-print-liberates/237856/

Also long term, the price of magazines will most likely go down.

The shift to digital is inevitable, in my opinion. I think that the daily newspapers in the big cities will probably be the last to go. But I think they will all go eventually when tablets are $20 a pop and everybody has them.