PDA

View Full Version : Armed take over at Freedomworks?!

Matt Collins
12-26-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/freedomworks-tea-party-group-nearly-falls-apart-in-fight-between-old-and-new-guard/2012/12/25/dd095b68-4545-11e2-8061-253bccfc7532_story.html

AuH2O
12-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Sounds like the libertarian-leaning folks stuck around, and the GOP old-timers were pushed out.

Anti-Neocon
12-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Is this a good or bad thing?

liberalnurse
12-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Is this a good or bad thing?
It's a good thing.:)

Keith and stuff
12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/freedomworks-tea-party-group-nearly-falls-apart-in-fight-between-old-and-new-guard/2012/12/25/dd095b68-4545-11e2-8061-253bccfc7532_story.html

Did the gun have a large clip?

Matt Collins
12-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Did the gun have a large clip?I didn't even know it was legal to carry in DC

compromise
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
I didn't even know it was legal to carry in DC

Well, it was private property. He could have transported the gun in it's case and taken it out later.

Matt Collins
12-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Well, it was private property. He could have transported the gun in it's case and taken it out later.I still don't even know if that's legal, regardless of Heller.

itshappening
12-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Why regardless of Heller? The Supreme Court threw out the gun ban in a 5-4 decision.

It cannot exist.

AuH2O
12-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Why regardless of Heller? The Supreme Court threw out the gun ban in a 5-4 decision.

It cannot exist.

It's not that simple.

Matt Collins
12-26-2012, 04:39 PM
It's not that simple.Exactly.

eleganz
12-26-2012, 04:40 PM
How do we know libertarians were the ones taking over? Is the millionaire donor a known libertarian backer?

AuH2O
12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
How do we know libertarians were the ones taking over? Is the millionaire donor a known libertarian backer?

From the article:

Stephenson has a passion for libertarian politics stretching back to the 1960s, when he attended seminars featuring “Atlas Shrugged” author Ayn Rand and economist Murray Rothbard, according to those who know him at FreedomWorks.

specsaregood
12-26-2012, 05:16 PM
From the article:
At the same time, he donated to Romneys campaign; but not to Dr. Paul's.

Confederate
12-26-2012, 05:27 PM

It cannot exist.

They threw out the complete ban on handguns, they never ruled that you have a right to carry one outside your home.

The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition – in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute – would fail constitutional muster. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional.

tsai3904
12-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Matt Kibbe's memo on events (Kibbe and Armey basically supported opposing Republicans):

http://www.motherjones.com/documents/549556-matt-kibbe-memo-republican-insiders-attempt

AuH2O
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
They threw out the complete ban on handguns, they never ruled that you have a right to carry one outside your home.

It's not even that simple, really. SCOTUS gave the city council time to write new regulations that operated within the constraints of the Heller decision. Furthermore, nobody in D.C. had any idea how to license handguns; almost nobody working in the government at the time the ban went into effect was still there. The DC Gov't couldn't even answer inquiries into what department was responsible for issuing licenses. And no gun ranges or training programs existed for the public in DC. To this day it's a byzantine process to get a legal handgun in the District.

Confederate
12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
It's not even that simple, really. SCOTUS gave the city council time to write new regulations that operated within the constraints of the Heller decision. Furthermore, nobody in D.C. had any idea how to license handguns; almost nobody working in the government at the time the ban went into effect was still there. The DC Gov't couldn't even answer inquiries into what department was responsible for issuing licenses. And no gun ranges or training programs existed for the public in DC. To this day it's a byzantine process to get a legal handgun in the District.

I know it's not that simple, i was just trying to simplify it as much as possible.

I believe Heller is now suing to make the permitting process simpler as well.

kathy88
12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
I love a good implosion.

Confederate
12-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I love a good implosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ab7WRjm-XE

eleganz
12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
From the article:

Wow, thanks!

I stopped reading at the half-way point but I apparently missed one of the most important parts of the article.

This news is even more amazing than I originally thought.

Brian4Liberty
12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Matt Kibbe's memo on events (Kibbe and Armey basically supported opposing Republicans):

http://www.motherjones.com/documents/549556-matt-kibbe-memo-republican-insiders-attempt

Now that's an interesting article. The fiscal four purge was part of Dick Armey's revenge?

sailingaway
12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
At the same time, he donated to Romneys campaign; but not to Dr. Paul's.
This. Remember that they spin tarp voting Ryan as libertarian. So libertarian he COMPELS workers to read Ayn Rand.

And we know Ryan's a Poser

specsaregood
12-26-2012, 07:19 PM
This. Remember that they spin tarp voting Ryan as libertarian. So libertarian he COMPELS workers to read Ayn Rand.

And we know Ryan's a Poser

oh, he donated to ryan's campaign years ago too. no donations to rand or any of our allies that I recognized.

AuH2O
12-26-2012, 08:34 PM

I won't sit here and say Ryan is anything close to a libertarian -- but I disagree that it's somehow un-libertarian to for an employer to require his employees to read or study in order to meet his established job prerequisites.

sailingaway
12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I won't sit here and say Ryan is anything close to a libertarian -- but I disagree that it's somehow un-libertarian to for an employer to require his employees to read or study in order to meet his established job prerequisites.

I didn't say it was wrong but it certainly conflicts with the persona he is trying to convey.

thoughtomator
12-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Count me in among those not at all sad to see FreedomWorks die.

FSP-Rebel
12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, FW did plenty for us that were volunteering for Bentivolio's campaign. I got hooked up with 500 signs and 10,000 door hangers and a handful of others got the same. The UPS guy said he's never had such a big shipment before.

NIU Students for Liberty
12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
but I disagree that it's somehow un-libertarian to for an employer to require his employees to read or study in order to meet his established job prerequisites.

Prerequisites that the employer (Paul Ryan) can't even meet.

ChristianAnarchist
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
I didn't even know it was legal to carry in DC

It's "legal" to carry anywhere (including China where I am now) but there are thugs with guns who believe otherwise and they are not shy about using violence against you to take your weapon...

SpreadOfLiberty
12-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Interesting article.

unknown
12-27-2012, 10:44 PM
http://mises.org/books/prosperity.pdf

The Ludwig von Mises Institute dedicates this volume to all of its
generous donors, but wishes to thank these Patrons in particular:

...Richard J. Stephenson...

FSP-Rebel
12-28-2012, 11:29 AM
It's "legal" to carry anywhere (including China where I am now) but there are thugs with guns who believe otherwise and they are not shy about using violence against you to take your weapon...
That only makes sense in your anarchist mind, the rest of society likens that to be against the law.

Confederate
12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
That only makes sense in your anarchist mind, the rest of society likens that to be against the law.

Not if you believe that all man-made laws which violate natural law are unjust and invalid.

FSP-Rebel
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Not if you believe that all man-made laws which violate natural law are unjust and invalid.
I was just stating a fact and am not going to break the man-made law just to validate natural law and end up in a cage.

ChristianAnarchist
12-29-2012, 12:23 AM

The rest of society does not REALLY think that. If they did, they would not speed, run stop lights, cheat on "their" taxes...

Tell me, if I travel to Mars (I'm planing on going there next week) do I have a "right to free speech" or is that only within the imaginary lines surrounding what has come to be known as the "USA"??

FSP-Rebel
12-29-2012, 11:15 AM
The rest of society does not REALLY think that. If they did, they would not speed, run stop lights, cheat on "their" taxes...

Tell me, if I travel to Mars (I'm planing on going there next week) do I have a "right to free speech" or is that only within the imaginary lines surrounding what has come to be known as the "USA"??
Cheating on or not paying taxes is a hit or miss since the govt only goes after people in certain cases and the former examples are penalized by citation, not jail in most instances. And, if you beam yourself up to Mars next week you'll notice no structured society so you can do whatever you want. I understand the ancap way of thinking and it's fine for this community but much of that lingo is a non-starter for the blue pillers out there that we hope to nudge closer to our camp.

itshappening
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Irwin Schiff is rotting in a federal supermax prison for not paying taxes, he's now in his 80's serving a 12 year sentence.

They really threw the book at him.

american.swan
12-29-2012, 11:41 AM
http://mises.org/books/prosperity.pdfOriginally Posted by : The Ludwig von Mises Institute dedicates this volume to all of its generous donors, but wishes to thank these Patrons in particular:...Richard J. Stephenson... Wow. Now that rocks.