PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't want a Libertarian/non-interventionist president

juliusaugustus
12-24-2012, 01:49 PM
The problem I see with getting someone like Rand Paul elected is that a crisis might happen a dollar collapse, peak oil or any number of theories and people will blame the fact that he didn't intervene solve problems or he allowed the free market to be free as the reason why America is going through crisis, even though those problems are fundamentally the result of government intervention. The problem with any non statist president is that people will blame his lack of statism for any problems and libertarianism would be pushed back further than it already has been. Even if a libertarian/non-interventionist was elected president such a president would be fundamentally limited by a congress and supreme court that want interventionism. In my view the paths towards a libertarian society is to let the current society fall under its own weight and transform itself or to create a new society elsewhere.

acptulsa
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM
The Lesson of Jimmy Carter. No, I'm definitely not accusing Carter of being a libertarian. But he was not necessarily 'with the program' and 'playing ball', and the nation was sabotaged just to make him look bad.

This doesn't mean we wouldn't be better off with a libertarian in the White House. It just illustrates that Ron Paul is right again--nothing is more important than our efforts to educate. Not only is education a necessary step on the road to power, it makes it possible for us to do some good once we get it.

VIDEODROME
12-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Can't any effective president use the media? Not interviews, but announcements directly to the people saying what is really going on? If Ron Paul somehow got in I'm sure he would have used that.

Many candidates claim to have Faith in the American People as their message. I think a real President could reiterate on that message that this is a nation of The People and he wants to re-empower us and the states.

specsaregood
12-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Can't any effective president use the media? Not interviews, but announcements directly to the people saying what is really going on? If Ron Paul somehow got in I'm sure he would have used that.

Many candidates claim to have Faith in the American People as their message. I think a real President could reiterate on that message that this is a nation of The People and he wants to re-empower us and the states.

Hell, thanks the the authoritarians that have been in charge; they gave the power to the president to just seize the media and news outlets to get the message out if they saw fit. :)