PDA

View Full Version : NY newspaper runs interactive map with names, addresses of handgun-permit holders

green73
12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood-?nclick_check=1

tangent4ronpaul
12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
http://www.lohud.com/interactive/article/20121223/NEWS01/121221011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood-?nclick_check=1

Wait for it,
Wait for it...

A record number of gun thefts occurred in NYC the past week, followed by a significant rise in gun related robberies...

Keep an eye out for the story, it should be here within a week.

-t

BuddyRey
12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Wow...how is that even legal?!

Just kinda reinforces my fear that people who get "licensed" to own guns might as well be painting targets on their houses for the Camp FEMA buses.

sailingaway
12-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I'd be pissed if I didn't own a gun and they had just highlighted that for all criminals to see.

Origanalist
12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Turn around is fair play, send the names and addresses along with the map of everyone responsible for this aggression to everyone on that map.

green73
12-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Just kinda reinforces my fear that people who get "licensed" to own guns might as well be painting targets on their houses for the Camp FEMA buses.

Exactly. They know where to go to first when the SHTF.

sailingaway
12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Turn around is fair play, send the names and addresses along with the map of everyone responsible for this aggression to everyone on that map.

We have the lowest or one of the lowest home intrusion rates in the world, as I understand it, precisely BECAUSE the criminals don't know which homes have guns, and because castle laws exist.

This guy pretty much just stripped the non gun owners of the security they used to get from this.

green73
12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Funny, a criminal can use this map to know were not to go.

phill4paul
12-24-2012, 11:24 AM
And there you have it folks. Not just the government now anyone and everyone knows about you. Christ! Wake the fuck up!

Origanalist
12-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Funny, a criminal can use this map to know were not to go.

Or go, depending on if he's looking to acquire weapons and take the time to make sure he's not interupted.

If this isn't invasion of privacy, I don't know what is.

specsaregood
12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Does the data include people that are licensed as part of their law enforcement job?

sailingaway
12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Or go, depending on if he's looking to acquire weapons and take the time to make sure he's not interupted.

If this isn't invasion of privacy, I don't know what is.

Hold onto the headline for the next time someone argues registration puts no burden on gun owners...

tangent4ronpaul
12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
It would be kinda funny to identify who everyone on that map was and divide them into categories. You would basically end up with a who's whose of cronyism along with some legitimate ones:

Legit imate ones:
Carries large amounts of cash - probably business owner.
Armed guard
Body Guard
Jeweler

Cronyism:
Judges
millionaires
chiefs of police
generous campaign donors
anyone else well connected, politically

I also disagree that it can be used as a map to tell where not to go, as long guns are not included. Better chance of there not being a gun, but no guarantee. OTOH, it is a road map telling a thief where you can find a gun to steel.

-t

Origanalist
12-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Hold onto the headline for the next time someone argues registration puts no burden on gun owners...

Good idea, just did.

Dr.3D
12-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Now I wonder if that map is going to cause a lot of gun thieves to be shot.

Pericles
12-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Now I wonder if that map is going to cause a lot of gun thieves to be shot.

One can only hope so.

aGameOfThrones
12-24-2012, 11:40 AM
A criminal can go and try to steal at one of those houses, or go the one that's not armed.

Dr.3D
12-24-2012, 11:42 AM
A criminal can go and try to steal at one of those houses, or go the one that's not armed.
Yeah, the people who don't have firearms should be very upset such a thing has happened. It tends to make them look like sitting ducks.

BAllen
12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the people who don't have firearms should be very upset such a thing has happened. It tends to make them look like sitting ducks.

Right. They know where to go now.

Dr.3D
12-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Right. They know where to go now.
Yep, they might as well have just put up a "gun free zone" sign in their windows.

Danke
12-24-2012, 12:00 PM
I'd be pissed if I didn't own a gun and they had just highlighted that for all criminals to see.

"The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so."

Neil Desmond
12-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Same here!

youngbuck
12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Luckily that map is far from being comprehensive. I know people with handgun-permits in upstate NY that aren't on that list. This information should be private IMO, and it's pretty low for these guttersnipe-excuses-for-journalists to exploit this info.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Sure would be nice if every person listed got a package of liberty literature and dvd's to spend their time watching and reading during 2013.

thoughtomator
12-24-2012, 12:12 PM
a real-time demonstration of just why gun registration is bad

coastie
12-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I probably read over 500 comments so far, didn't see a single one in support of what they did, and many threats to cancel their subs.

What I would like to know is, what, exactly was this supposed to accomplish?

I read another article on that page where they had homeowners saying that "I wouldn't move here if I knew my neighbors had guns..."Cool, lets start an experiment, then, shall we? I say all you people scared of guns all move to one area where there are no guns. Then, we'll publish your location so that the rest of us gun owners don't have to worry about spending hours cleaning blood up from our front porches, and you idiots can be cleaned from the gene pool by the criminals guaranteed to be heading your way.

thoughtomator
Sure would be nice if every person listed got a package of liberty literature and dvd's to spend their time watching and reading during 2013.

deserves an echo - brilliant

tod evans
Government at it's finest............................Again!:mad:

jkr
12-24-2012, 12:23 PM
SUE
THE
FUCK
OUT OF THEM

ravedown
12-24-2012, 12:24 PM
gotta love being looked at the same way the media and public looks at sex offenders

Seraphim
The people who's privacy has been betrayed should come at the perps with a massive class action lawsuit.

youngbuck
SUE
THE
FUCK
OUT OF THEM

That would be a glorious sight:D

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I am not sure they could. I believe when you apply for a permit that it becomes part of the public record.

Seraphim
12-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Posting addresses, names etc...is LUDICROUS.

I am not sure they could. I believe when you apply for a permit that it becomes part of the public record.

tod evans
12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
SUE
THE
FUCK
OUT OF THEM

The liable party in my eyes is the local government that released the records, the paper is of course irresponsible for printing them but if a person is to seek transparency in government this is to be expected.

Gotta wonder what other type of registrations were made public? Mercedes, Jaguar? Other items of value registered with the locals...

Lucille
12-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Dear would-be burglars. Here is a map of non-gun owners in several eastern states. HTH, and happy thieving! Love, lohud and Gannett.

Someone should put together a google map of all the lohud and Gannett "journalists" homes in those same states, specifying if they are non-gun owners, and see how they like it, since it's all a matter of public record and they didn't do anything legally wrong.

coastie
12-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Ludicrous, yes. Illegal, no.

acptulsa
12-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm of the opinion that the non-gun owners should begin a class action suit, because they were exposed as undefended. I'm sure that if some of them began it, many, many more (gun control freaks or not) would jump on board. The smell of free money tends to have that effect.

AGRP
12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I believe I found the problem. They live in NY.

Lucille
12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Someone tweeted that their maps covers more than just those two counties.

jackie greenwood ‏@Concerned001 The http://lohud.com map is NOT just NY & CT it is also other states PA NH VT and VA I would be so flippin Angry over this..

Aeroneous
12-24-2012, 12:49 PM
The NY Pistol/Revolver application does not mention anywhere that the information you are providing is becoming part of a public record. It even references the Privacy Act of 1974, but only for SSNs. I spent a couple years doing records management and dealing with Privacy Act info... I see this as something that easily falls under the Privacy Act and never should have left the hands of the government. I would definitely be bringing suit.

http://www.troopers.ny.gov/firearms/PPB-3.pdf

Anti Federalist
12-24-2012, 12:54 PM
So, trying to agitate an angry mob to come and burn some gun owners out, hey?

Keep pushing motherfuckers.

You've light a fuse that probably will not be able to be put out.

Enough talk, OK?

Fuck fucking you, I am not backing down.

Open fire or shut the fuck up.

Aeroneous
12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
So, trying to agitate an angry mob to come and burn some gun owners out, hey?

Keep pushing motherfuckers.

You've light a fuse that probably will not be able to be put out.

Enough talk, OK?

Fuck fucking you, I am not backing down.

Open fire or shut the fuck up.

One of these days we're going to hear a news story about police serving a high risk, no knock warrant on a suspected al Qaeda terrorist. Ironically, AF probably won't be posting anymore and images of RPF will be all over the news.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-24-2012, 01:16 PM

No disagreement, just saying I don't think a lawsuit would hold up.

sam1952
12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Seems i remember a newspaper doing this in DC some years ago. I believe some people got together and published a list of address and phone numbers for the publishers responsible. I mean it's all public record. next advertisers got calls stating they would not patronize car dealers ect.. as i remember it was a very successful campaign.

devil21
12-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I can't imagine it's actually comprehensive. Only one person in the entire city of Hartford CT has a pistol permit? Ha yeah right.

Aeroneous
12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I can't imagine it's actually comprehensive. Only one person in the entire city of Hartford CT has a pistol permit? Ha yeah right.

Comprehensive or not, I see it as a major invasion of privacy and degradation of personal security.

AGRP
12-24-2012, 01:36 PM

My thoughts as well. There is no way there are that few of registered gun owners, but then again I threw logic and credibility out a while back when this circus started. This school shooting is nothing but a massive trolling in order to stir things up.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Wait for it,
Wait for it...

A record number of gun thefts occurred in NYC the past week,

I was told that happened in FL and they consequently passed a law (or made the database private) to stop that from happening. I was told that by a FL cop, in fact.

Pericles
12-24-2012, 01:44 PM
One of these days we're going to hear a news story about police serving a high risk, no knock warrant on a suspected al Qaeda terrorist. Ironically, AF probably won't be posting anymore and images of RPF will be all over the news.

Not saying how it would turn out, but you have my positive assurance that the survivors will know that they were in a fight.

Aeroneous
12-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Not saying how it would turn out, but you have my positive assurance that the survivors will know that they were in a fight.

I would expect nothing less.

Danke
12-24-2012, 01:53 PM

His status got downgraded when attention came to the fact that he drives a minivan.

LibForestPaul
12-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Why would it be illegal? One would want this information kept secret? They have nothing to hide? If they wanted privacy, they should have never gotten a permit. No one forced them to get a gun. Are any of them next to a school? Do any of them have household members on medication or a known history of mental illness, drug relate offenses?

Oh this is beautiful.

Aeroneous
12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
His status got downgraded when attention came to the fact that he drives a minivan.

I drive a minivan :(. It's a work vehicle, though.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Why would it be illegal? One would want this information kept secret? They have nothing to hide? If they wanted privacy, they should have never gotten a permit. No one forced them to get a gun. Are any of them next to a school? Do any of them have household members on medication or a known history of mental illness, drug relate offenses?

Oh this is beautiful.

Makes the same sense to publish names of people who have bought more than 1k worth of diamonds. It puts a target on your back. See my previous post. The state of FL stopped such things because they saw the results.

For those of you saying the opposite would happen... well, that's not what happened in FL. People with permits are more likely to have a gun in the home (something of value to steal). Everyone else is still a "maybe." Thieves will target homes when they think no one is home.

Anti Federalist
12-24-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm actually looking at a used one of these, diesel powered, six speed manual:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID572/images/EX-Volkswagen_Jetta_Sportwagen_2010_TDI_rfq-lo3.jpg

As much as I hate new, foriegn cars, it's got minimum of computer shit, no "OnStar" type tracking systems, and phenomenal diesel mileage.

tod evans
12-24-2012, 02:53 PM
My preference......Not diesel though..

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4347/4301/23367150011_large.jpg

Anti Federalist
12-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Meh, have no fear, I'm not about to snap and go off.

A no knock raid at Oh Dark Thirty would probably get the drop on me anyway.

But, regardless, I'm not backing down on this.

I will not comply.

The other side has made it very clear that they are ready to force compliance at gunpoint or, in this case, an angry mob.

I'm serving notice to the other side that compliance will not be forthcoming: start shooting, if you got the stones.

AGRP
12-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I love how the dot saturation zone ends right before the bronx. There are only 5 hand guns in the brox. Yup.

Luciconsort
12-26-2012, 03:33 AM

In DE your name goes in the paper for a period of time as a part of the application process, notifying everyone of your address and name.

kahless
12-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I love how the dot saturation zone ends right before the bronx. There are only 5 hand guns in the brox. Yup.

It is a Rockland/Westchester paper. They probably did not add the data for the Bronx.

TonySutton
12-26-2012, 09:00 AM
can they overlay a map of houses that have been robbed in the last 5 years?

VBRonPaulFan
12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm sure the dude who wrote this article has no problem with where he lives being posted - right?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/13830_390021991088832_1252977714_n.jpg

green73
12-26-2012, 09:18 AM
^^^ What is "calumnist" suppose to mean?

TonySutton
12-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Crossing his address on the map he provided it appears no one in his neighborhood has a handgun permit so I guess they are relying on the police to protect them from robbers and home invasions. With response times in Queens being 7-8 minutes I bet they feel safe. Of course, response time does not start until someone actually calls 911.

BAllen
12-26-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm sure the dude who wrote this article has no problem with where he lives being posted - right?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/13830_390021991088832_1252977714_n.jpg

Excellent! Give him his own medicine, see how he likes it. He and his neighbors are now prime targets.

Occam's Banana
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Someone who engages in calumny.

cal·um·ny /ˈkaləmnē/ Noun
1. The making of false and defamatory statements in order to damage someone's reputation; slander.
2. A false and slanderous statement.
Synonyms: slander - aspersion - libel - defamation - obloquy - slur

So calling him a "calumnist" (rather than "columnist") is not really appropriate (in this case, at least). Whoever did the captioning in that graphic "out-clevered" himself & missed the mark.

specsaregood
12-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Crossing his address on the map he provided it appears no one in his neighborhood has a handgun permit so I guess they are relying on the police to protect them from robbers and home invasions. With response times in Queens being 7-8 minutes I bet they feel safe. Of course, response time does not start until someone actually calls 911.

I searched the number and some posts with the info are saying he has a carry permit.

osan
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM

I'd call this a class action waiting to happen.

From the Comments section:

Sauce for the goose or, home address and phone number of Journal-News publisher
White Plains newspaper The Journal- News, a Gannett publication, has published the full name and address of every licensed pistol permit holder in three New York counties. I don’t know whether the Journal’s publisher Janet Hasson is a permit holder herself, but here’s how to find her to ask:

Janet Hasson, 3 Gate House Lane, Mamaroneck, NY 10534.

Phone number: (248) 594-2197; you might also try (914) 525-1923, but the area code is just a guess on the assumption that this number is a land line.
Here’s a photo showing her Mamaroneck house – interior shots are on Zillow:

Gannett’s CEO-

Gracia C Martore
728 Springvale Rd
Great Falls, VA 22066
(703) 759-5954

The reporter on the story is

Dwight R Worley
23006 139 Ave
Springfield Gardens, NY 11413 (718) 527-0832

Janet Hasson herself is married with one child

Murray N Rothbard
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet or not, but lists of staffers:

http://northernwestchester.lohudblogs.com/staff/

http://rockland.lohudblogs.com/staff/

green73
12-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Someone who engages in calumny.

cal·um·ny /ˈkaləmnē/ Noun
1. The making of false and defamatory statements in order to damage someone's reputation; slander.
2. A false and slanderous statement.
Synonyms: slander - aspersion - libel - defamation - obloquy - slur

So calling him a "calumnist" (rather than "columnist") is not really appropriate (in this case, at least). Whoever did the captioning in that graphic "out-clevered" himself & missed the mark.

Thank you!

Lucille
12-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Not sure if this was posted yet or not, but lists of staffers:

http://northernwestchester.lohudblogs.com/staff/

http://rockland.lohudblogs.com/staff/

Sauce for the goose or, home address and phone number of Journal-News publisher
http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sauce-for-the-goose/

UPDATE: Intrepid readers have come up with all sorts of contacts for these people:

The Journal News/LoHud.com assailed for publishing map of gun permit holders
http://www.lohud.com/article/20121225/NEWS02/121225002

Anti Federalist
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Turn about is fair play in the Surveillance State I see.

Yet another reason why I loathe Google and its spy apparatus.

Anybody should have the right to block that image out and remove it from their database.

Even douchebags.

cheapseats
12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
SUE
THE
FUCK
OUT OF THEM

The people who's privacy has been betrayed should come at the perps with a massive class action lawsuit.

This reaction/reasoning is predicated on the fallacious proposition that Justice is swift, fair and affordable. Just about NOTHING could be further from the Truth. And if you/they DO prevail (months or years hence), prepare they/you for a lengthy and wildly expensive APPEAL.

Advocacy of LEGAL RECOURSE, when y'all know damn well our "Legal System" is one of "our" BROKEN-EST systems, chiefly benefits Legal Eagles and bolsters INSTITUTIONALIZED INJUSTICE. Legal Recourse is NOT a realistic OR reliable option for MOST Victims.

cheapseats
12-26-2012, 11:58 AM
gotta love being looked at the same way the media and public looks at sex offenders

Seems i remember a newspaper doing this in DC some years ago. I believe some people got together and published a list of address and phone numbers for the publishers responsible. I mean it's all public record. next advertisers got calls stating they would not patronize car dealers ect.. as i remember it was a very successful campaign.

lohud.com is GANNET COMPANY:

Gracia C. Martore
President and Chief Executive Officer

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/litwit/GraciaMartoreGannett_zpsbbeaeac8.jpeg

Gracia Martore is President and Chief Executive Officer of Gannett Co., Inc. Martore joined Gannett in 1985 as Assistant Treasurer. She became a Vice President in the Treasury group in 1993 and added investor relations duties in 1995. She was named Treasurer and Vice President/Investor Relations in 1998. She was promoted to Senior Vice President of Finance in addition to her Treasurer’s responsibilities in 2001. In 2003, Martore became Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and was appointed to Gannett’s Management Committee. In 2005, Martore became Executive Vice President and CFO. In 2010, she was named President and Chief Operating Officer and was named President and Chief Executive Officer on Oct. 6, 2011. Prior to joining Gannett, she worked for 12 years in the banking industry.

Martore serves on the Board of Directors of FM Global and MeadWestvaco Corporation.

In 2012, Martore was named one of the “50 Most Powerful Women in Business” by Fortune Magazine and she also was named to Forbes’ “100 Most Powerful Women” list. Earlier, following her selection as CEO in 2011, Martore was cited by Forbes in a review of the world’s most powerful women. She was also named one of Washington’s 100 Most Powerful Women by Washingtonian Magazine. Institutional Investor magazine named Martore one of the best CFOs in America and ranked her the Best CFO in America in the publishing and advertising agencies category for three years in a row (2004, 2005 and 2006). The Washington Post also named Martore one of the top 10 female executives at major companies in the Washington region. In 2006 she was named CFO of the Year by Virginia Business.

Martore is a 1973 graduate from Wellesley College with a double major in history and political science. While there, she was named a Wellesley Scholar for academic excellence.

http://www.gannett.com/article/99999999/WHOWEARE04/110714008/Gracia-C.-Martore

Note that her background is ALL FINANCE.

Same thing happened with "Hollywood".

nobody's_hero
12-26-2012, 01:37 PM
This reaction/reasoning is predicated on the fallacious proposition that Justice is swift, fair and affordable. Just about NOTHING could be further from the Truth. And if you/they DO prevail (months or years hence), prepare they/you for a lengthy and wildly expensive APPEAL.

Advocacy of LEGAL RECOURSE, when y'all know damn well our "Legal System" is one of "our" BROKEN-EST systems, chiefly benefits Legal Eagles and bolsters INSTITUTIONALIZED INJUSTICE. Legal Recourse is NOT a realistic OR reliable option for MOST Victims.

Probably wouldn't win in NY anyway. If this had happened in Texas or Montana, it would be a different story.

I think this list will backfire. If I were a criminal I'd just avoid the armed-resident houses, lol. This was a case of liberal logic at it's finest.

Lucille
12-26-2012, 01:45 PM
He's right.

Once Again "Outrage" Misses The Mark
hxxp://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=215297

Destroyed the privacy? Made a map?

I got an email with a pithy comment this morning from a local Libertarian leader that was essentially a "coming to a newspaper box near you" comment.

As if the problem is the First Amendment!

Gee, you think so eh? I know, I know! The newspaper was able to do this all nice and neat because of innovation in publishing. Interactive maps are now pretty easy; not long ago they were hard, and not long before that they didn't exist.

So I'm going to do what I usually do -- I'm going to shine the light where it belongs.

At the Second Amendment.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Yeah, that's hard to understand.

Those who believe that the bolded part of the sentence is limited by the un-bolded failed English class. Go back to school and until you pass please surrender any and all professional "credentials", most-particularly those related to teaching or otherwise pontificating on the meaning of words.

Shall I quote what gave rise to the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Yeah.

If you have an unalienable right to life then you have the right to defend that life against all who would take it from you, irrespective of who they are. If you have an unalienable right to liberty, then you have a right to defend that liberty against all who would take it from you.

So what's this "permit" crap?

For a gun?

For a driver license?

Let me guess -- you needed a license to ride a horse in colonial America? To exercise your right to liberty, that is, to change your physical location from one place to another, using the common tools and devices of the day? What would Jefferson, Hamilton or Madison have said to such a notion?

So is the problem that some newspaper published data? No, it is that you first demanded that your neighbor seek permission to defend his own life or exercise his liberty, and then once he did, you got*****ed that someone else used their right to liberty to publish information that you gave up due to an unlawful demand that you voluntarily complied with?

Who's the idiot here and why is your outrage directed at a newspaper?

Why aren't you surrounding the NY State House and demanding an immediate repeal of all infringement of the 2nd Amendment, and openly proclaiming (and backing up your demand, if necessary) that you will not comply with what is clearly an unlawful demand by that governmental body?

It's easier to bitch about some other party that's exercising its constitutional rights (in this case the First Amendment), yes?
[...]
The problem is not that some newspaper published a list.

It's that the people permitted such a list to exist in the first place, that they refused to demand their God-given right to life and liberty be respected and that they be left alone in the exercise of both in the first instance.

Anti Federalist
12-26-2012, 11:09 PM
bump

opal
12-27-2012, 12:05 AM
so not a good indication of where the guns are... what about all the ones that are NOT registered.. hmmm? Illegal guns.. inherited guns... no serial number guns.. yep.. not a comprehensive list at all

dannno
12-27-2012, 12:06 AM

It's how you say "columnist" in southern New England.. or maybe somebody can give a more specific geographical or cultural boundary since I'm not from there.

oyarde
12-27-2012, 12:45 AM
It's how you say "columnist" in southern New England.. or maybe somebody can give a more specific geographical or cultural boundary since I'm not from there. One who commits slander. Then there is Calumet, which is a smoking pipe....

Lucille
12-29-2012, 09:28 AM
New York newspaper to list more gun permit holders after uproar
http://news.yahoo.com/york-newspaper-list-more-gun-permit-holders-uproar-120534293--finance.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A suburban New York newspaper that sparked an uproar among gun enthusiasts by publishing names and addresses of residents holding pistol permits is now planning to publish even more identities of permit-toting locals.

Further names and addresses will be added as they become available to a map originally published on December 24 in the White Plains, New York-based Journal News, the newspaper said.

The original map listed thousands of pistol permit holders in suburban Westchester and Rockland counties just north of New York City.

Along with an article entitled "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood," the map was compiled in response to the December 14 shooting deaths of 26 children and adults in Newtown, Connecticut, editors of the Gannett Corp.-owned newspaper said.

The next batch of names will be permit holders in suburban Putnam County, New York, where the county clerk told the newspaper it is still compiling information.

kahless
12-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Rockland County Times paper strikes back!

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7001/dangerouseditors.jpg

Article also on the web
http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2012/12/27/6612/

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-29-2012, 06:08 PM
This map doesn't account for people who don't register their guns

Anti Federalist
12-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Rockland County Times paper strikes back!

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7001/dangerouseditors.jpg

Article also on the web
http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2012/12/27/6612/

I see a common trait amongst all those editors.

BAllen
12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, they're women.

cheapseats
12-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes, they're women.

With a net worth of $25 billion in 2012, he is also the 10th-richest person in the United States. - Wikipedia

Michael Bloomberg...whadda guy.

cheapseats
12-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes, they're women.

Local religious leaders lobby for changes to gun control laws

Push for ban on assault rifles

posted on 12/26/12
By: Marissa Bagg

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - From Boca Raton to the Treasure Coast, our communities have seen violent crimes drop by 25 percent since 2007. That means fewer murders, aggravated assaults and armed burglaries. But a group of local religious leaders says that isn't good enough.

"It is easier for children to get a gun and kill someone than it is to get a quality education in school," says C. Shahid Freedman.

Freedman represents the Democratic Party in Boynton Beach - he claims one in eight children you encounter on the street is carrying a weapon.

"Some of the children think it's just like putting on a belt," says Freedman.

Freedman and a group of pastors and rabbis say they want to start from the to - lobbying Congress and President Obama to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines. They also want safer schools.

"The time has come to put metal detectors in all the schools," says Thomas Masters, Mayor of Riviera Beach.

Given the decrease in violent crimes in our area, we asked Freedman if the need for gun control is still great. He argues the numbers don't reflect what he sees in the community.

"We haven't made any progress in curbing the violence, or getting the guns off the streets," says Freedman.

The group is drafting a plan of action they plan to reveal on January 1st.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/west_palm_beach/local-leaders-lobby-for-changes-to-gun-control-laws

BAllen
12-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Michael Bloomberg...whadda guy.

?
The newspaper article has four women pictured. Where do you get bloomberg?

BAllen
12-30-2012, 09:12 AM
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/west_palm_beach/local-leaders-lobby-for-changes-to-gun-control-laws

Hello? That's in Florida. What we were referring to was the NY newspaper article. You need to pay attention.

cheapseats
12-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Hello? That's in Florida. What we were referring to was the NY newspaper article. You need to pay attention.

Or you could resist simple, sexist, dichotomous "thinking", and realize that there is a NATIONWIDE push for more FEDERAL regulation...by not-very-smart DoGooders, not-very-powerful ScaredyCats, and VERY-smart-VERY-powerful PowerMongers.

BAllen
12-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Or you could resist simple, sexist, dichotomous "thinking", and realize that there is a NATIONWIDE push for more FEDERAL regulation...by not-very-smart DoGooders, not-very-powerful ScaredyCats, and VERY-smart-VERY-powerful PowerMongers.

Those are YOUR words, not mine.

NoOneButPaul
12-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Looks like I will no longer be registering my guns and buying all of them through the gangsters on the South Side of Chicago...

Thanks, America.

cheapseats
12-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, they're women.

After shooting, some Republicans more open to gun controls

By Patricia Zengerle and Susan Cornwell
WASHINGTON | Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43pm EST

(Reuters) - Republican lawmakers opened the door on Tuesday to a national debate about gun control following the Connecticut school massacre, a small sign of easing in Washington's reluctance to seriously consider new federal weapons restrictions.

Republican members of the House of Representatives, where the party holds a majority of seats, discussed the killings in their weekly closed-door conference meeting and said afterward there was more willingness now to talk about regulating weapons.

"You are going to have some people who never, never go there," Representative Steve LaTourette, an Ohio Republican, told reporters, referring to a small number of Republicans who will not countenance any talk of gun regulation.

"But yes, I think most Republicans are willing to have a very, very serious conversation about what this means and taking a second look at what the Second Amendment (guaranteeing the right to bear arms) means in the 21st century," he said.

Republicans are traditionally strong gun-rights advocates and receive far more campaign donations than Democrats from the powerful National Rifle Association gun lobby, which has opposed previous attempts at weapons controls.

The NRA was largely silent for the first few days after the shooting rampage at the Newtown, Connecticut, grade school in which 26 people, including 20 young children, were slain.

But the group issued a statement on Tuesday saying it had not commented out of respect for the families and to allow time for mourning and an investigation. "The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again," it said.

Momentum is growing in Congress for some sort of action, although the substance remains unclear.

Some Democratic gun-rights advocates, including Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, said on Monday they would now be open to more regulation of military-style rifles like the one used in Newtown.

On Tuesday, the White House spelled out some gun control measures and threw support behind California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein's effort to craft legislation to reinstate an assault weapons ban. White House spokesman Jay Carney also said President Barack Obama would back any law to close a loophole related to gun-show sales.

Senator Frank Lautenberg, a New Jersey Democrat, called on the Senate on Tuesday to immediately pass his legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines, which were used in the attacks in Connecticut as well as mass shootings in Aurora, Colorado; Oak Creek, Wisconsin; Tucson, Arizona, and at Virginia Tech, among others.

But any legislation would likely wait until 2013, after negotiations on how to address the "fiscal cliff" of spending cuts and tax hikes due to kick in at the beginning of the year.

Still, it is notable that some Republicans may be reconsidering their positions.

Representative Jack Kingston said the meeting of fellow House Republicans on Tuesday had focused heavily on the link between mental illness and mass shootings in the United States.

"Mental health is a huge part of it. No rational person squeezes the trigger in the face of a 6-year-old," the Georgia congressman told Reuters.

However, he said the dialogue had changed. "There may be more support of discussion at this point among the pro-gun Democrats and Republicans," Kingston said.

U.S. lawmakers have not approved a major new federal gun law since 1994, and a ban on assault weapons expired in 2004.

NOT LOOKING TO GOVERNMENT

Even as they expressed sorrow over the killings, some Republicans said they did not think an assault weapons ban - or any government action - was the answer, noting that Connecticut is a state with relatively tough gun laws.

"I just don't know what government can do to fix this," South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham told reporters. "I don't think that (an assault weapons ban) fixes the problem, because you've got 24 million guns out there already."

He said he thought it would make sense to create a commission to look at the broader issue of violence in the United States.

There is also no guarantee of how much Democratic support a measure would get, despite optimism from California Representative Nancy Pelosi, the top Democrat in the House, who said on MSNBC prospects for gun control were better than they had been in years.

Nevada Democrat Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, has been less committal. In 2004, he voted against the extension of the weapons ban, and the measure died.

On Tuesday, Reid said "every idea" should be on the table for discussing how to keep children safe, but he declined to speak specifically about any gun control measure.

"We must engage in a thoughtful debate about how to change laws and culture that allow violence," he told reporters at the Capitol.

Senator Susan Collins, a moderate Republican from Maine, said she was not sure whether members of her party would be open to restricting the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips or a ban on assault weapons.

"The conversations that I've had with my Republican colleagues ... and indeed my Democratic colleagues, have really not focused on policy changes at this point," she said. "It has focused on the horrible tragedy that has stunned and shocked all of us."

(Additional reporting by Thomas Ferraro, Susan Heavey, Jeff Mason and Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Karey Wutkowski, Eric Beech and Eric Walsh)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/18/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-congress-idUSBRE8BH1B120121218

BAllen
12-30-2012, 09:50 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/18/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-congress-idUSBRE8BH1B120121218
^^^^^^^^
Wow!
I'm amazed at your stupidity. Either that, or you're a marxist troll. You've taken one of my quotes from an entirely different posting, and are attempting (without success) to tie it in with some unrelated event in Washington from an entirely different article.

cheapseats
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM
^^^^^^^^
Wow!
I'm amazed at your stupidity. Either that, or you're a marxist troll. You've taken one of my quotes from an entirely different posting, and are attempting (without success) to tie it in with some unrelated event in Washington from an entirely different article.

WOW, indeed.

BAllen
12-30-2012, 06:56 PM
WOW, indeed.

Went right over your head. I'm not surprised.

Lucille
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
N.Y. county vows to withhold pistol permit data
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/02/gun-database-putnam-county-new-york/1803821/

Freeman said The Journal News could appeal a denial, which would be heard within Putnam County government. If a second denial occurred, paper could ask a judge to decide.

The Wall Street Journal asked New York City officials to turn over similar gun data several years ago. Freeman said that request was denied, but the state's highest court later ruled in favor of newspaper.

Ball was firm in his position.

"I'm proud to stand with Putnam County and proud that Putnam won't be releasing its pistol permit records," he said in a statement. "The asinine editors at the Journal News have gone out of their way to place a virtual scarlet letter on law abiding firearm owners throughout the region and I thank God that Putnam County has a clerk with the guts to stand up and draw the line here."
Looks like they finally understand the right of self-defense. Not that they'll advocate it for us mudanes:

'Journal News' hires armed security guards
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/01/journal-news-hires-armed-security-guards-153103.html

The Journal News of West Nyack, N.Y., has hired armed security guards to defend its offices after receiving a torrent of phone calls and emails responding to the paper's publication of the names and addresses of area residents with pistol permits.

RGA Investigations, a private security company, "is doing private security at on location at the Journal News as a result of the negative response to the article," according to a police report first obtained by the Rockland County Times (Nanuet, N.Y.) and shared with POLITICO. The guards "are armed and will be on site during business hours through at least January 2, 2013."

Danke
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Like Therapy Animals, my guns provide me psychological comfort. I would be suing the newspaper for publishing my medical condition under the American Disabilities Act...or something. :)

Lucille
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Group claims hacked subscriber database of NY newspaper which published gun permit map
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/01/group-claims-hacked-subscriber-database-of-ny-newspaper-which-published-gun-permit-map/

This privacy war has just escalated dramatically, as a group of self-described ”2nd Amendment supporters” claims it has downloaded and posted on the web what it describes as the “user” database of the Journal News.
[...]
http://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Lohud-database-pastebin.jpg

Twice today I reached out to the Publisher and Editor of the Journal News, asking whether they were aware of this, whether they verified the information, what they were doing about it, and what their position was. This obviously is important because the users and subscribers of the Journal News website may not be aware that their personal information has been compromised.

Despite being told by a person in the newsroom that the Editor was checking her emails, I have heard nothing from the Journal News.

Oh boy...

tangent4ronpaul
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
ROTGLMAO!

-t

green73
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
ROTGLMAO!

-t

hahahahahaha

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I've been saying this for years. Needing a permit from the government to protect yourself from the government is redundant.

tangent4ronpaul
01-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I wonder how long it will be before we see the interactive map:

"Attention burglars and home invaders! These households are most likely unarmed!"

That and the direct mail campaign urging their subscribers to unsubscribe.

-t

kahless
01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
The Journal News is Armed and Dangerous
http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/01/01/the-journal-news-is-armed-and-dangerous/

Armed guards from RGA Investigations have taken up post at the Journal News’ Rockland County headquarters. Guns are good for the goose but NOT for the gander.

chudrockz
01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
The Journal News is Armed and Dangerous
http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/01/01/the-journal-news-is-armed-and-dangerous/

I was just about to post a link to this story.

Someone NEEDS to make the names and addresses of these SUPER DANGEROUS armed guards public! Can't have folks armed, now, can we?!