PDA

View Full Version : GA-Cop, serving warrant at grocery store, shoots and kills man not involved in the case.

Anti Federalist
12-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Hard to tell what is going on with this one yet.

Watch and see how this evolves.

Family Mourns Loss of Brother, Uncle Shot By Macon Police Officer

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-news/17999-family-mourns-loss-of-brother-uncle-shot-by-macon-police-officer

Written by Ashley Minelli on Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:16 PM. Posted in Local

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) -- The family of a Macon man who was shot and killed by a police officer Friday afternoon, is trying to piece together why their brother, and uncle is gone.

Macon Police say a fight broke out between an officer and 49-year-old Sammie Davis Junior at the Kroger on Pio Nono Avenue. Davis was shot multiple times in the chest during the incident.

Cheryl Davis says her brother wasn't violent, and she's having trouble understanding why he was shot.

"I'm so sorry Junebug, I'm so sorry I didn't keep you, or protect you," said a tearful Davis.

Junebug was the nickname given to Sammie Davis. His sister says even though he had a famous name, her baby brother lived a simple life.

"His time was spent between Kroger and home, Kroger and home, along the way he made many friends between here and there," says Davis.

Around 3:30 on Friday afternoon, that daily routine was disrupted. MPD spokesperson, Jami Gaudet told 41NBC, Precinct 3 Officer, Clayton Sutton was serving a warrant at the Kroger on Pio Nono Avenue when a fight broke out.

Shots were fired, and Davis was hit multiple times in the chest. He died at the hospital.

"My sister and I, we went there and we hugged and kissed him, and it looked like he was going to wake up but he didn't," says Davis.

Days later, and Cheryl Davis still doesn't understand why her brother was involved in a shooting.

"He was not a thug, he was not a criminal, he wasn't crazy, he wasn't insane, he did not snap."

Davis says Sammie didn't have any mental disabilities, but he was a little shy. She recalls a time when she had to ask police for help finding him when he didn't return home.

"They found Junebug up the street scared to come past a dog... He came back with my brother in that car. He didn't have to shoot him, he didn't have to beat him. He was able to bring Junebug home to me," says Davis.

Gaudet would not say if the warrant issued was for Sammie Davis, but his Cheryl says her brother was not in trouble. Officer Sutton was placed on administrative leave while the Macon Police Department's Internal Affairs Divisions investigates this incident.

coastie
12-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Hmm. I hope the officer is ok.:rolleyes:

RickyJ
12-24-2012, 01:41 AM
This is a strong argument for everyone owning a gun. They need one to protect themselves from the police.

satchelmcqueen
12-24-2012, 01:44 AM
i bet his shyness scared the police. they had to protect themselves from this man. they felt danger to their person and lives.

AGRP
12-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Macon Police say a fight broke out between an officer and 49-year-old Sammie Davis Junior at the Kroger on Pio Nono Avenue. Davis was shot multiple times in the chest during the incident.

Around 3:30 on Friday afternoon, that daily routine was disrupted. MPD spokesperson, Jami Gaudet told 41NBC, Precinct 3 Officer, Clayton Sutton was serving a warrant at the Kroger on Pio Nono Avenue when a fight broke out.
Who needs details when you kill someone? Details, details. Whatevers.

Anti Federalist
12-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Who needs details when you kill someone? Details, details. Whatevers.

CFC

Confederate
12-24-2012, 02:06 AM

I thought he died 20 years ago?

Tod
12-24-2012, 03:38 AM
I thought he died 20 years ago?

that was sammY

nobody's_hero
12-24-2012, 06:15 AM
'Serving a warrant at Kroger when a fight broke out something very vague happened.'

nobody's_hero
12-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Posted on youtube by a relative?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NLcAIaQGI

kathy88
12-24-2012, 06:27 AM
That made me cry.

BAllen
12-24-2012, 12:13 PM
He was a 'fine young man'. In fact, he was grocery shopping for the elderly in his neighborhood, when this occurred.
:rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
12-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Hey, this has now spawned a new phrase, right up there with "Officer Safety", "Circular Force Continuum" "Fuck You, Mundane, that's why!" and "Justified".

"No Further Action".

People in Macon rally for police shooting victim, seek change from city leaders

http://www.newscentralga.com/news/local/People-in-Macon-calling-for-officer-who-shot-and-killed-a-man-at-Kroger-to-be-fired-and-punished-185106181.html

Story Created: Dec 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM EST

Story Updated: Dec 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM EST

A large group of people rallied Friday, calling for the immediate firing and punishment of a Macon police officer, who shot and killed a man in the parking lot of a Kroger grocery store a week ago.

Police originally said Officer Clayton Sutton was serving a warrant on Sammie "Junebug" Davis Jr., when a struggle ensued and multiple shots were fired. Davis' died shortly after the incident and his death has been ruled a homicide.

It was later discovered there was no warrant for Sammie Davis Jr., and police then released a statement saying Sutton was responding to a call for service. An incident report says officers failed to find a weapon on Davis, but Sutton's neck was bleeding after the incident.

"He needs to go to prison, they need to lock him up this afternoon. They're a week late in doing it, but Clayton Sutton, you need to go to jail, you need to be punished for what you did to my brother," said Cheryl Davis, the sister of the victim.

Speaking at the rally Friday, Cheryl Davis says her brother "Junebug" was as meek as a lamb, and would never hurt anyone, let alone pose a threat to a Macon police officer.

"I dare you to find someone to say something bad about Junebug, I dare you to find someone," Davis said.

Police have been completely mum regarding any explanation for the conflicting statements released by the department, or an explanation of the events that led to the shooting. Numerous e-mails and voice-mail messages left for Macon Police Public Information Officers have gone unreturned.

Community activist Anthony Harris says silence from the department has become routine.

"This investigation shouldn't take this long, the police department is letting the media discover things," Harris said.

A copy of Officer Sutton's disciplinary record shows the six and a half year veteran has compiled a list of 26 complaints against him.

The complaints include allegations of harassment, theft, excessive force, reckless driving, and animal abuse.

In 2010 Sutton was accused of shooting a Pit Bulldog that tried to attack him. The owner of the dog says it was tied up on the porch. Under his discipline "No Further Action" is listed.

Also in 2010 Sutton was accused of using excessive force and pulling a woman from a vehicle and throwing her on the ground to arrest her. Sutton was given a written reprimand.

In 2010 Sutton was accused of wrongfully pointing his duty weapon in a man's face during a traffic stop, and searching the man's vehicle without his consent. "No Further Action" was his discipline.

In 2011 Sutton was accused of harassing a woman at her home about an alleged bad check. Sutton is accused of trying to intimidate the woman and coercing her into paying cash immediately to avoid going to jail. The woman told him to go ahead and take her to jail. Sutton was suspended for one day.

In May Sutton was accused of removing $200 from a woman's purse during a traffic stop. "No Further Action" was his discipline.

Not in Sutton's disciplinary file was an incident reported by WGXA several months ago. A Macon woman accused Sutton of hitting her and her granddaughter with his police cruiser. People in the area say at the time, Sutton was terrorizing the neighborhood.

Anthony Harris says he was the first person to find out there was no warrant for Sammie David Jr. He says that if Sutton is found to be in the wrong, just the officer shouldn't' be to blame, but Police Department Administrators and even city officials.

"Our so called community leaders and politicians, don't have the guts to step out, because they're afraid they might not get votes, they might not get their pockets lined or whatever," Harris said.

Former Macon Mayor Jack Ellis was quick to call for action against Sutton, but says the police administration shouldn't be to blame.

The investigation is ongoing, but many people at the rally Friday have already made up their minds.

"Officer Clayton Sutton, I want you fired and put in prison," Harris said.

"There's a problem with leadership, that we keep somebody like that , who has sworn to protect us out here, that ultimately caused somebody's death, an innocent persons death," said Cheryl Davis.