PDA

View Full Version : Another Danger! Chocolate Pudding

Origanalist
12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I suggest you go to the link as this column has what seems like a hundred links in it

http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/danieljmitchell/2012/12/24/another-danger-chocolate-pudding-n1473266/page/full/

Daniel J. Mitchell

I don’t like bloated government. It undermines economic performance by diverting resources from the productive sector of the economy and often leads to destructive tax policy.

But when trying to build support for good fiscal policy, it often helps to cite specific examples of wasteful and foolish government. That’s one of the reasons I’ve been comparing examples of government stupidity and political correctness in the United States and the United Kingdom.

After all, how many people would want to pay more taxes after reviewing these bizarre episodes of government in action?

From the United Kingdom

A job-placement center got in trouble for discriminating against incompetent people by seeking “reliable” and “hard-working” candidates.
A women who was being threatened by thugs got in trouble with the police for brandishing a knife in her own home.
There was a serious proposal to prevent children from watching Olympic shooting events.
A man got arrested for finding a gun in his yard and turning it over to the police.
The government wanted to require “competency tests” for pet owners.
An ID requirement to buy teaspoons.
The most useless sign in the history of the world.
A proposal to ban skinny models.
A prohibition on the use of starting pistols at races lest children get frightened by the noise.
Denying children a home because the foster family didn’t believe in unlimited immigration.
From the United States

A Rhode Island boy offended the PC nanny-staters by bringing toy soldiers to school.
A student in San Diego got in trouble for making a motion detector for a science project, simply because someone decided it resembled a bomb.
The EEOC hindering trucking companies from weeding out drunk drivers.
A Florida student was expelled for having a toy gun on school property.
And how can we omit the politicians in San Francisco, who decided that banning happy meal toys was an appropriate use of government coercion.
We also have regulations in Maryland governing the application of sunscreen at summer camps.
A local politician in Maryland wanting a licensing process to be a bum.
And proposals in Seattle to require life vests on swimmers who are more than five feet from shore.
I’ve even shared some instances of moronic behavior from the private sector, and I have another story that may belong in that category.

In this instance, we’re talking about the critical need to protect people from pudding. I’m not joking. Here are some of the details of a very odd report in the Daily Mail.

If you’re lucky enough to look about 18, there’s a good chance you’ll be asked to provide ID at the supermarket to buy alcohol, knives or glue. Now an addition has been made to that list of potentially hazardous items – chocolate pudding. Robert Nemeti was amazed when he was asked for ID while buying a microwaveable pudding at Tesco. Mr Nemeti, 24, was going through the self-service checkout when an on-screen warning announced that his purchase had to be ‘approved’. …‘The woman who was monitoring the self-service checkouts came over and asked me for identification showing I was 18. I asked her why and was stunned when she told me: “It gets hot when you cook it – and you may burn yourself”. Surely the same can be said of many of the products they sell in any supermarket? Health and safety has gone crazy if you now have to prove you can be trusted with a chocolate pudding.’ He added: ‘I explained that I didn’t have any ID. Thankfully she agreed that I looked over 18 and she scanned her staff pass to approve the sale.’ Mr Nemeti managed to cook and eat the dessert that evening without injury.

Gee, I’m glad that Mr. Nemeti managed to eat the pudding without causing a fire or suffering burns.

There’s not much I can add to this story. Is this an example of crazy government over-protectiveness, sort of nanny state run amok? Perhaps somewhat similar to Nurse Bloomberg’s attempt to ban large sodas? I don’t know. There aren’t enough details.

Or maybe it’s the fault of the private sector, with some corporate bureaucrat justifying his job by coming up with idiotic rules? Though, to be fair, that’s less destructive than American corporate bureaucrats who have special skills when it comes to getting bailout money.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3304/3420586541_22b6de137b_z.jpg

No warning label?!? Such reckless corporate irresponsibility!

Could it be because the English are learning about America’s lawsuit culture and businesses are having to defend themselves from preposterous legal claims by imposing equally preposterous rules? That would be the indirect fault of government.

But whatever the cause, it’s a sorry sign for civilization. I’ve previously explained that I’m very pessimistic about the United Kingdom’s fiscal outlook. Based on this story, I also should worry about the nation’s mental outlook.

But I’m not throwing stones blindly. I’m fully aware that the United States is a glass house, whether the metric is reckless fiscal policy or a dearth of common sense.

How the Welfare State Traps the Poor in Dependency, the British Version
Back in 2011, I linked to a simple chart that illustrated how handouts and subsidies create very high implicit marginal tax rates for low-income people and explained how “generosity” from the government leads to a tar-paper effect that limits upward mobility.

Earlier this year, I shared an amazing chart that specifically measured how the welfare state imposes these high implicit tax rates. Unbelievably, some people would be better off earning $29,000 rather than $69,000.

Simply stated, the multitude of redistribution programs are worth a lot of money, but you begin to lose those goodies if you begin to live a productive and independent life.

And since we know that rich people respond to high tax rates by declaring less income to the government, we shouldn’t be surprised that poor people also respond to incentives.

We also shouldn’t be surprised to learn that other nations have these same perverse policies. Here are some excerpts from a powerful piece for the UK-based Spectator.

…today’s Sunday Times magazine has a long piece asking whether there is a “fundamental difference in our attitudes to work”. It’s still one of the most important questions in Britain today: what’s the use of economic growth if it doesn’t shorten British dole queues? And should we blame these industrious immigrants; aren’t the Brits just lazy? …The quality of the British debate is so poor that we almost never look at this from the point of view of the low-wage worker. Every budget, the IFS will dutifully work out if it has been “fair” – ie, gives the most to the poorest. The LibDems will judge a budget by this metric. That’s a nice, easy, simple graph. But what about destroying the work incentive? Each budget and each change to tax should be judged on how many people are then ensnared in the welfare trap. I adapted the below (nasty, complex) graphs from an internal government presentation, which still make the case powerfully. The bottom axis is money earned from employer and the side axis is income retained. The graphs are complex but worth studying, if only to get a feel for the horrific system confronting millions of the lowest-paid in Britain today.

Here are the two charts. the author is correct. They are quite complex. But they show that there’s no much incentive to work harder, whether you’re a young person or a single parent.

http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2012/12/Screen-Shot-2012-12-16-at-12.18.45.png

http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2012/12/Screen-Shot-2012-12-16-at-12.18.38.png

After showing these amazing charts, the author makes some very powerful additional observations.

…if I was in a position of a British single mother I have not the slightest doubt that I would choose welfare. Why break your back on the minimum wage for longer than you have to, if it doesn’t pay? Some people do have the resolve to do it. I know I wouldn’t. …So let’s not talk about “lazy” Brits. The problem is a cruel and purblind welfare system which still, to this day, strengthens the welfare trap with budgets passed without the slightest regard for its effect on the work incentives on the poorest. …Meanwhile, the cash-strapped British government is still creating still the most expensive poverty in the world.

The final sentence in the excerpt really sums it up, noting that the government is “creating the most expensive poverty in the world.” Sort of like a turbo-charged version of Mitchell’s Law. The politicians create a few redistribution programs. Poverty begins to get worse. So then they add a few more handouts to address the problems caused by the first set of programs. Lather, rinse, repeat.

In other words, this poster applies in all nations.

P.S. If you want some real-world examples of the horrible impact of the British welfare state, you can see how the welfare state destroys lives, creates perverse incentives, and turns people into despicable moochers.

P.P.S. We have the same problems in America, and even leftists are beginning to admit this is bad for poor people. Heck, just look at this chart showing that the poverty rate was falling until the War on Poverty began.

tod evans
12-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Bump for those who don't know.......

http://www.fallingpixel.com/products/18344/mains/000-3d-model-bumper-car-mat-1.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
12-24-2012, 08:25 AM
On the pudding, I can almost guarantee this is what happened:

teenager comes in and buys pudding. Cooks it too long. Doesn't follow instructions and opens right away, burning self.

parent sues grocery store, grocery store settles and puts in place new policy.

Just like that cup of coffee that was too hot and made the filer of a frivolous lawsuit a millionaire.

-t

donnay
12-24-2012, 09:00 AM
The proof is in the pudding! <s>

phill4paul
12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KQrzu49QeRs/SZ3XExN6udI/AAAAAAAABD8/YN_T_cbQy40/s320/Cosby_PuddingPop.jpg

sailingaway
12-24-2012, 10:17 AM
IMHO chocolate is a thing, not a flavor, and chocolate pudding is a puzzlement.