PDA

View Full Version : Is DailyPaul charging for membership now?

Matt Collins
12-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Is DailyPaul charging for membership now? :confused:

sailingaway
12-23-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't think you have to pay, but they do have paid subscriptions. Since I was mostly here by the time they did that, I didn't get one, but I have done one time donations here and there when they have needed them for something. A big reason I don't get one is that it is one of those continually renewing things which are a personal bane of mine, I just don't get around to ending them, so I've made a hard and fast rule I don't join them to begin with.

I think there are extra chats and things if you do have a paid membership.

Here we have paid subscriptions if you want to, for $20 a year you get a bigger avatar, the ability to change your username once, I think, and the ability to put pictures in your signature. We just don't make a big deal of it, but it does cost money to run sites, and people do give added benefits if they can, to get some income to offset that.

FSP-Rebel
12-23-2012, 11:25 AM
From what I've seen, those that had accounts from prior to the new system were grandfathered in. Noobs have to pay. I made a post there on behalf of someone here that didn't have an account and didn't want to pay.

BSU kid
12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Who needs DP, when you have this site. :D

ninepointfive
12-23-2012, 02:14 PM
They're infusing cash into the liberty movement

Keith and stuff
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
From what I've seen, those that had accounts from prior to the new system were grandfathered in. Noobs have to pay. I made a post there on behalf of someone here that didn't have an account and didn't want to pay.

Interesting. I would have thought, if they charged, there were be a student/60+ option for like $1 a month or something. Oh well. It seems I'm still able to post there. This site gets less traffic. I wonder, if a year from now, this site starts getting more traffic than DP. It will be interesting to see.

Confederate
12-23-2012, 02:42 PM
It seems so. I forgot my password for my account which I created about 4 years ago with an email I no longer use and was going to sign up for a new account, but you have to pay now.

ninepointfive
12-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Well this is interesting. The information should remain free, and then advertise on the side just like any other serious venture about promoting liberty.

We're in for the rise and fall of giants in the near future.

FSP-Rebel
12-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I wonder, if a year from now, this site starts getting more traffic than DP. It will be interesting to see.
In the off season, here and there obviously taper off regarding viewership so I'm not sure what either site will look like down the line. They average twice the users as we do and nearly 6.5 times as many unique viewers daily. That said, blogs usually drive more traffic than forums do in most cases. I check in over there a few times a week just for kicks but had I not had an account from the old days, I certainly wouldn't be paying a monthly tab. They get a lot of ad revenue and they're certainly entitled to it. And, if they're "infusing the liberty movement with cash," that's great but I've yet to see how. I don't even recall seeing posts for funding our candidates making their way to the main blog reel even though items with far less votes do. Mind you, I joined over there before I came here but their style isn't to my liking.

tony m
12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Reaching into the topic matter can get deep on the DP. It does seem a bit more emotional. It is possible that there are more folks there on the higher age scale?

I have spent most of my time there. Part of that is also due to, when I save a page from the DP, the thread title immediately is present in the Save As box. On the RPF, it has Showthread.php.htm. That means I have to copy and paste the title of the thread. That is a bit of a hassle. You never know, someday what is on a persons hard drive might be the only info a person can get ... or for a while ...

airborne373
12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
It's called capitalizing on a opportunity. Many assume wrongly that the self appointed disciples among us are altruistic when often they are profiting. While I have no problem with capitalism or capitalizing on opportunities I do have to hold my nose at those who claim to be sacrificing for the good of the collective as they monetize every aspect of their "contribution" to the cause.

I say stop farming out the rEVOLution and start living it.

FriedChicken
12-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Think they're moving into more of a club? Mailings or perhaps a publication to their members?
Would seem like a good direction to start moving with Ron retiring as a congressman I think it logical that the Paul sites lose a little activity. Maybe they're testing the waters for another project.

Having a paid membership means a little more than a free one.

Politicians wouldn't be able to brag about being lifetime NRA members if they didn't charge for the membership, for example.

FriedChicken
12-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I can't remember if I ever made an account there or not. If I did it was with an old email address and I won't be able to log on.

Their color scheme layout thing always pushes me away from their site though.

tttppp
12-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Think they're moving into more of a club? Mailings or perhaps a publication to their members?
Would seem like a good direction to start moving with Ron retiring as a congressman I think it logical that the Paul sites lose a little activity. Maybe they're testing the waters for another project.

Having a paid membership means a little more than a free one.

Politicians wouldn't be able to brag about being lifetime NRA members if they didn't charge for the membership, for example.

That model wont work on the internet. They will slowely lose traffic. They are basically just cashing out of the Ron Paul movement and getting what they can. They are not in it for the long haul.