PDA

View Full Version : Parents hesitant about NRA armed schools proposal

aGameOfThrones
12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
MIAMI (AP) — The nation's largest gun-rights lobby called Friday for the placement of an armed police officer in every school, but parents and educators questioned how safe such a move would keep kids, whether it would be economically feasible and how it would alter student life. Their reactions ranged from supportive to disgusted.

"Their solution to resolve the issue around guns is to put more guns in the equation?" said Superintendent Hank Grishman of the Jericho, N.Y., schools on Long Island, who has been an educator for 44 years. "If anything it would be less safe for kids. You would be putting them in the midst of potentially more gunfire."

Where school resource officers are already in place, they help foster connections between the schools and police, and often develop a close enough relationship with parents and children that they feel comfortable coming forward with information that could prevent a threat, said Mo Canady, executive director of the National Association of School Resource Officers.

But an Oklahoma educator who teaches at a school with armed officers described the NRA's proposal as a "false solution," though she's not opposed to the presence of more police.

"I teach at a school that has four armed police officers on campus every day, but it's more than a quarter of a mile from the main office to my room, and I'm not even the farthest room away," said Elise Robillard, a French teacher at Westmoore High School. "If (a student) put a loaded gun in their bag and came to my classroom and pulled it out and started shooting, by the time the police officer figured out what was going on and got to my classroom, we'd all be dead. This whole hallway could be dead before a policeman got here."

(so, maybe you should have a gun too?)

But Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, one of the nation's largest teachers' unions, called the NRA's idea "irresponsible and dangerous."

"Schools must be safe sanctuaries, not armed fortresses," she said.

Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said that posting armed guards outside schools wouldn't make classrooms safer or encourage learning.

"You can't make this (school) an armed camp for kids," he said.

Jacina Haro, a college educator from Malden, Mass., and the mother of two young children said the solution shouldn't be about having more weapons on campus.

"Schools shouldn't be about guns," said the 38-year-old. "It should be a safe place to learn, free from weapons and the like. I understand wanting to protect our children, but I don't know if that's the right solution. It's a scary solution."

http://news.yahoo.com/parents-hesitant-nra-armed-schools-proposal-182857889.html

sailingaway
12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Teachers and admins with training should be allowed to carry concealed weapons rather than have it be a prison camp. Not knowing who is armed is the most effective defense imho.

Gallup poll says 64% support this idea, so yours must be wrong.... :p

Petar
12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
In a weird way I totally agree with them. The balanced compromise is to allow teachers to fulfill the security role.

James Madison
12-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Can we just end public education already? Some private schools would allow teachers to carry, some could hire private security. Or some could provide no security at all. Hell, we could even let juniors and seniors in high school carry. Parents can send their children to whatever schools they are most comfortable with.

Oh, look! I just solved your problems, America...again.

CaptainAmerica
12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Can we just end public education already? Some private schools would allow teachers to carry, some could hire private security. Or some could provide no security at all. Hell, we could even let juniors and seniors in high school carry. Parents can send their children to whatever schools they are most comfortable with.

Oh, look! I just solved your problems, America...again. Too big to fail "public school" needs to be 100 percent option and at this point I think it should be turned to the states at least to handle their own public school systems.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Teachers and admins with training should be allowed to carry concealed weapons rather than have it be a prison camp. Not knowing who is armed is the most effective defense imho.

Yeah, I dislike the NRA now more than ever. Less cops in schools, please.

cbrons
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM

Oh, look! I just solved your problems, America...again.

The irony of this whole situation is that it is because of the dumbing down of the population through public schools that people have become so dumb that they think have armed admins/teachers is a bad thing. "More guns is a scary solution" <--- quote from a govt school grad

cbrons
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
fdsfdfs

James Madison
12-22-2012, 06:17 PM
The irony of this whole situation is that it is because of the dumbing down of the population through public schools that people have become so dumb that they think have armed admins/teachers is a bad thing. "More guns is a scary solution" <--- quote from a govt school grad

I'll bet these same people go gaga over the police and military.

FreeHampshire
12-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Privatize the schools. That's the only reasonable solution. The market will eventually decide what the proper amount of security ought to be.

coastie
12-22-2012, 07:57 PM
MIAMI (AP) — The nation's largest gun-rights lobby called Friday for the placement of an armed police officer in every school, but parents and educators questioned how safe such a move would keep kids, whether it would be economically feasible and how it would alter student life. Their reactions ranged from supportive to disgusted.

"Their solution to resolve the issue around guns is to put more guns in the equation?" said Superintendent Hank Grishman of the Jericho, N.Y., schools on Long Island, who has been an educator for 44 years. "If anything it would be less safe for kids. You would be putting them in the midst of potentially more gunfire."

What does she think the cops bring into the equation, harsh language and meanie faces?

Where school resource officers are already in place, they help foster connections between the schools and police, and often develop a close enough relationship with parents and children that they feel comfortable coming forward with information that could prevent a threat, said Mo Canady, executive director of the National Association of School Resource Officers.

But an Oklahoma educator who teaches at a school with armed officers described the NRA's proposal as a "false solution," though she's not opposed to the presence of more police.

Police? Those guys with guns?

"I teach at a school that has four armed police officers on campus every day, but it's more than a quarter of a mile from the main office to my room, and I'm not even the farthest room away," said Elise Robillard, a French teacher at Westmoore High School. "If (a student) put a loaded gun in their bag and came to my classroom and pulled it out and started shooting, by the time the police officer figured out what was going on and got to my classroom, we'd all be dead. This whole hallway could be dead before a policeman got here."

Correct! Now she's thinking...

But Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, one of the nation's largest teachers' unions, called the NRA's idea "irresponsible and dangerous."

"Schools must be safe sanctuaries, not armed fortresses," she said.

Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said that posting armed guards outside schools wouldn't make classrooms safer or encourage learning.

"You can't make this (school) an armed camp for kids," he said.

Jacina Haro, a college educator from Malden, Mass., and the mother of two young children said the solution shouldn't be about having more weapons on campus.

"Schools shouldn't be about guns," said the 38-year-old. "It should be a safe place to learn, free from weapons and the like. I understand wanting to protect our children, but I don't know if that's the right solution. It's a scary solution."

Are these women suggesting the police shouldn't be armed? Silly Liberals.

FreeHampshire
12-22-2012, 08:20 PM
64% of Americans support armed security in schools. In the words of the Left, majority rules!

tod evans
12-23-2012, 06:04 AM
There's no amount of guns or legislation against guns that'll keep a lunatic from doing crazy shit.

This reactionary BS from both sides really isn't amusing or productive...Obviously we'd all like kids to be "safe"....Legislation and cops aren't going to accomplish that........Neither is arming teachers who won't fight.

Best solution in my mind is to repeal all laws regarding weapons on school property, remove the false sense of security that cops provide and the local communities will quickly work out viable solutions on their own.

The bullshit provided by politicians and media all focuses on using more government to address child safety whether through legislation or tax-payer funded cops......Both have proven themselves ineffective time and again.

asurfaholic
12-23-2012, 06:14 AM
"...would be less safe for kids. You would be putting them in the midst of potentially more gunfire."

Ya, wouldn't want those little children to have to bear with the possibility of there being a good guy with a gun on the good side. That would be real bad, wouldnt it. Logic fails these people.

truelies
12-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Placing TSA goons in the schools is simply not the answer.

Better to recognise the dangers of teens who are regularly drugged with anti-depressants or perhaps even to confront just who is deliberately creating these mind controlled shooters.

Natural Citizen
12-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Placing TSA goons in the schools is simply not the answer.

Better to recognise the dangers of teens who are regularly drugged with anti-depressants or perhaps even to confront just who is deliberately creating these mind controlled shooters.

Smartest response in the entire thread.

PaulConventionWV
12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I liked the last response, "It's a scary solution." As if ripped from the government's propaganda manual. Guns are scary, woooooOOOOooohhhh.

Brian4Liberty
12-23-2012, 12:17 PM

"There should be rainbows and unicorns and everyone will love everyone, and no one will ever be mean. And anyone who doesn't conform will be gently and humanely taken away, never to return again."

tod evans
12-23-2012, 12:57 PM
"There should be rainbows and unicorns and everyone will love everyone, and no one will ever be mean. And anyone who doesn't conform will be gently and humanely taken away, never to return again."

Rainbows-n-lollipops.............snark//