PDA

View Full Version : Police Caught an Anonymous Hacker by Googling his IRC Name

tangent4ronpaul
12-21-2012, 07:15 PM
http://anonnews.org/external-news/item/3787/

Christopher Weatherhead, who called himself “Nerdo” on the internet, was convicted of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers last week. But the DDoS attacks he instigated weren’t pinned on him after weeks of covert surveillance—instead, all it took was some judicious Googling.

According to The Register, police caught him after analysing IRC logs, with his main error being sticking with his “Nerdo” handle for a very long time, making it easy for cops to form an association between Weatherhead and his actions by simply looking him up on the internet. Here’s how they did it:

“We then did some keyword searching and spent a lot of time looking social leakage. Combining all these elements we then identified the NICs of interest and did open source research on them. Weatherhead was easy to identify as he had been using the NIC of ‘Nerdo’ for quite some time.”

So no matter how much you like your pretend internet name, it’s a good idea to change it every once in a while. Especially if you spend your spare time taking part in DDoS attacks against Paypal and talking about it on IRC. [The Register]

-t

phill4paul
12-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I've been using the handle 'bananafarts' for too long now. Thanks for the heads up. I need to change it soon.

Indy Vidual
12-21-2012, 08:14 PM
His friends claim he is not guilty:

After a long wait for so many, it has finally begun for one. One of the founders of our network, Christopher Weatherhead AKA Nerdo goes on trial November 21st, 2012 In Southwark Crown Court, London. We decry this persecution of one of our own, one who commited no crime and is being targeted simply for his association, real or imagined, by overzealous feds who seek to cut off the head of an idea, a group which has no leader. We wish the very best for Chris and if there is truly justice in this corrupt world we live in, he will be exhonerated. Chris, we stand with you, always.
http://www.anonops.org

Am I in trouble for having landed at that site?

coastie
12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
His friends claim he is not guilty:

After a long wait for so many, it has finally begun for one. One of the founders of our network, Christopher Weatherhead AKA Nerdo goes on trial November 21st, 2012 In Southwark Crown Court, London. We decry this persecution of one of our own, one who commited no crime and is being targeted simply for his association, real or imagined, by overzealous feds who seek to cut off the head of an idea, a group which has no leader. We wish the very best for Chris and if there is truly justice in this corrupt world we live in, he will be exhonerated. Chris, we stand with you, always.
http://www.anonops.org

Am I in trouble for having landed at that site?

You will be now...reported.

dannno
12-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Because only one person in the entire internet uses the handle "nerdo" :p

specsaregood
12-21-2012, 08:58 PM
and did open source research on them.
pray tell, what does "open source research" in this context mean? Where can I download a copy of this research?

tangent4ronpaul
12-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Open source: They went on Facebook and Twitter and searched/looked at what anyone can see.

Closed source: They went through channels and got Facebook/Twitter to release registration info, mail spools, etc. Stuff a visitor can't see.

-t

Tod
12-21-2012, 09:50 PM
That is a common phenomenon: I have seen people use an unusual nickname and, when I have been curious as to whether it is the same person and bothered to look for indicators, it often turns out to be yes, the same person.

For example, a few years ago I stumbled upon some You Tube videos by someone and recognized a scene as being shot just a few miles from my house. Then last year on the Herman Cain forums I saw that same unusual user name. It turned out to be that same person.

Sometimes a good way to be "anonymous" is to use a very common user name so that a searcher gets overwhelmed with returns.

Constitutional Paulicy
12-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Sometimes a good way to be "anonymous" is to use a very common user name so that a searcher gets overwhelmed with returns.

Thanks for the tip "Tod"? ;)

Constitutional Paulicy
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
duplicate post

Indy Vidual
12-21-2012, 10:16 PM
My username is unique :)

Tod
12-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the tip "Tod"? ;)

Uh-oh. Is it time to change my user name? *looks left, looks right*