PDA

View Full Version : Senate to debate and vote on FISA reauthorization 12/27

tsai3904
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Senate will debate H.R. 5949, the FISA Amendments Act Reauthorization Act of 2012, on Thursday, December 27 for five hours.

The bill would reauthorize FISA for five years without any changes.

The Senate will vote on the following four amendments (these are summaries as final text isn't yet available):

Leahy Amendment

Amendment would force the government to disclose a public, unclassified summary of the secret reports it sends to select members of Congress every year about how the surveillance program actually works.

Merkley Amendment

Amendment would compel the government to declassify FISA court opinions, or at least offer a declassified summary. The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court approves requests for surveillance on suspected foreign agents in the US and interprets the scope of the US government's surveillance laws. This takes place entirely in secret, and only a few members of Congress and their staff members have the authority to view these laws in their entirety. As it stands, Americans have no idea how broadly (or narrowly) the secret court has interpreted these laws.

Paul Amendment

Amendment would explicitly spell out that the Fourth Amendment’s protections against unwarranted searches and seizures extends to third party searches conducted by NSA and other intelligence agencies.

Wyden Amendment

Amendment would compel disclosure of how many Americans have been swept up in the National Security Agency's surveillance of foreign targets. Wyden requested this information from the NSA and the NSA responded with this must read:

The NSA Inspector General provided a classified response on 6 June 2012. I defer to his conclusion that obtaining such an estimate was beyond the capacity of his office and dedicating sufficient additional resources would likely impede the NSA's mission. He further stated that his office and NSA leadership agreed that an IG review of the sort suggested would itself violate the privacy of U.S. persons.

Ron Paul's statement on September 12, 2012 when the House passed H.R. 5949:

Mr. Speaker: I rise in strong opposition to the reauthorization of the 2008 FISA Amendments Act, as it violates the Fourth Amendment of our Constitution. Supporters of this reauthorization claim that the United States will be more vulnerable if the government is not allowed to monitor citizens without a warrant. I would argue that we are more vulnerable if we do allow the government to monitor Americans without a warrant. Nothing makes us more vulnerable than allowing the Constitution to be violated.

Passage of this reauthorization will allow the government to listen in to our phone calls, read our personal correspondence, and monitor our activities without obtaining a warrant. Permission for surveillance obtained by a secret FISA court can cover broad categories of targets rather than specific individuals, as the Fourth Amendment requires. Americans who communicate with someone who is suspected of being affiliated with a target group can be monitored without a warrant. The only restriction is that Americans on US soil are not to be the primary targets of the surveillance. That is hardly reassuring. US intelligence agencies are not to target Americans on US soil, but as we all know telephone conversations usually take place between two people. If on the other end of the international conversation is an American, his conversation is monitored, recorded, transcribed, and kept for future use.

According to press reports earlier this summer, the Director of National Intelligence admitted to the Senate that "on at least one occasion" US intelligence collection agencies violated the Constitutional prohibitions on unlawful search and seizure. Without possibility for oversight of the process and with the absence of transparency, we will never know just how many Americans have been wiretapped without warrants.

Creating a big brother surveillance state here is no solution to threats that may exist from abroad. I urge my colleagues to reject these FISA amendments and return to the Constitution.

See how your Representative voted here:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll569.xml

sailingaway
12-21-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not numb, but I'm weary.

Those......

One impossibly disgusting thing after another.

sailingaway
12-26-2012, 11:17 AM
bump to call senators and reps...

Spoa
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
bump for importance. Thanks for the great info!

tsai3904
12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Senate is debating FISA:

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

Spoa
12-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Update on the debate:

Senator Wyden (D-OR) discussed the importance of the 4th Amendment, beginning the debate. I'm not sure if his amendment was discussed yet.

Senator Feinstein (D-CA) began speaking in opposition to any of the amendments. She claims that FISA does nothing to infringe upon the rights of American citizens.

Senator Merkley (D-OR) is now speaking in favor of his amendment. Speaking in strong support of 4th Amendment.

Spoa
12-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Senator Rand Paul tweets:

Rand Paul ‏@DrRandPaul
FISA violates the Fourth Amendment: Senate Debating Warrantless Domestic Spying Today; Vote Pending http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/27/senate-debating-warrantless-domestic-spy … via @reason

Spoa
12-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Tweeted by The Hill:

The Hill ‏@thehill
Sen @RonWyden calls for oversight of US intel agencies that may be monitoring Americans http://bit.ly/V71x3o by @PeteKTheHill

Lucille
12-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Senator Feinstein (D-CA) began speaking in opposition to any of the amendments. She claims that FISA does nothing to infringe upon the rights of American citizens.

But of course. She is such a despicable, authoritarian old bag.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/27/senate-debating-warrantless-domestic-spy

If your post-holiday boredom has left you without a reason to get riled up (or perhaps the Fiscal Cliff "negotiations" just aren't enough), I invite you to watch the Senate debate on C-Span about renewing the FISA Amendments Act today. The FISA Act allows the government to get secret permission to spy on communications to and from Americans without having to prove probable cause in defiance of the Fourth Amendment.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has been on top of the political machinations behind the renewal of the bill, such as the senators – among them Ron Wyden (who is currently speaking as I write this) and Rand Paul – working to change the laws to require warrants to collect private communications from Americans.

Spoa
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Senator Coons is now speaking on FISA. He is speaking in favor of the amendments of transparency. He's complaining about rushing these bills onto the floor and wanting to pass them so fast. I agree with him on this issue. He's speaking very well.

Spoa
12-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Senator Rand Paul is speaking now on FISA!

Spoa
12-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Senator Feinstein is now speaking in opposition to Senator Paul's Amendment.

Spoa
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
What's the view of members here on Senator Leahy's Judiciary Cmte substitute to FISA?

Spoa
12-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Senator Blunt (R-MO) just spoke in support of FISA and opposes the amdts.

Senator Chambliss (R-GA), vice-chair of Intelligence Cmte, is now speaking in support of FISA.

Senator Udall (D-CO) will speak for 30 minutes in opposition to FISA.

tsai3904
12-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Senate will vote on the Leahy, Merkley and Paul amendments at 5:30 pm ET tonight then vote on the Wyden amendment and final passage of FISA reauthorization tomorrow.

Spoa
12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
senator Durbin (D-IL) speaks in favor of amendments to FISA! :)

Spoa
12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Update: Voting has begun on Amendments for today.

First up, Leahy Amendment (In nature of substitute).

Brett85
12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Update?

wetroof
12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Merkley amendment fails: 37 yes to 54 no. Pauls amendment is 12 yes, 79 no.

Brett85
12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
It doesn't look like they are adding roll call votes to the Senate's page tonight.

anaconda
12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't understand what a "third party" search is. Does Paul mean by a government agency that is not specifically empowered with law enforcement?

anaconda
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Why would Leahy want to do this? I smell a rat.

Spoa
12-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Roll Call for Leahy Amendment: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00232

Roll Call for Merkley Amendment: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00233

Roll Call for Paul Amendment: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00234

Overall, there were only two good senators on the GOP part: Senator Rand Paul (KY) and Senator Mike Lee (UT). Senator Heller (NV) voted in favor of one of the amendments. The Senate is moving on to a wasteful Sandy Supplemental Bill and several amendments. Tomorrow, the Wyden Amendment and FISA final passage will be on the floor at about 9:30 in the morning.

tsai3904
12-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't understand what a "third party" search is.

I think it has to do with searching a third party who holds records on a target, like a phone or internet carrier.

Matt Collins
12-27-2012, 06:55 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mtshf5TMPQA/Tgqe41cVI2I/AAAAAAAAC0I/Xpqi2V45u0I/s1600/bigbrotherobama.jpg

Spoa
12-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Welcome to today's closing arguments on FISA.

Senator Wyden (D-OR) speaks in favor of his amendment while Senator Feinstein (D-CA) speaks in opposition. 30 minutes (15 minutes per side) of debate. Then, they vote on the amendment and then move to final passage.

Senator Udall (D-CO) speaks in favor of amendment while Senator Chambliss (R-GA) speaks in opposition.

Spoa
12-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Voting on Wyden Amendment has begun.

Senators Heller and Lee are on the floor now. Both voted yes on the amendment.

Senator Murkowski has now voted yes...at least one senator is learning.

Senator Paul has now voted yes.

Hooray! Senator Toomey has now voted yes...another senator is improving.

Senator Grassley has now voted yes...that makes 6 GOP senators from my count (at least that's better than only 2-3 yesterday).

Wyden Amendment fails with 43 yeas to 52 nays.

Spoa
12-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Moving to Final Passage on FISA!

"NO" Votes (very few):
A few Democrats (they went too quickly for me to type all of them down)

Lee
Murkowski
Paul

73 yeas and 23 nays. FISA passes and heads to the President.

They now move to consideration of Sandy Supplemental.

Lucille
12-28-2012, 10:06 AM
The Senate Can At Least Agree On One Thing
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-12-28/senate-can-least-agree-one-thing

...In other words, when it comes to spying on its citizens, the US government is quite united. It will also be unanimous when it has to vote its annual COLA salary increase to keep up with the true 10% inflation.

Brian4Liberty
12-28-2012, 12:03 PM
73 yeas and 23 nays. FISA passes and heads to the President.

73 members of Senate violate their oath to the Constitution. How sad.